Safe Driving and Years of Service Awards Gone!

tae111

I just read an internal e-mail that said UPS will no longer offer a catalog gift for any safe driving or years of service awards. It said you will still get a certificate and a pin but no gift. Also it said there will be no Circle of Honor banquets. I've been here for 33 years and I never thought I would see this. I have 30 years safe driving and just ordered my gift last week. If you are due don't hesitate to order your gift. I'm glad I'm at the end of my career.

rod

Retired 22 years
You could see this was coming. Too bad. At one time Safe Driving and Years of Service were great programs with alot of good prizes. (that was years ago). I still have 2 brand new UPS billfolds I've never used. The Teamsters gave me a real nice tri-fold billfold, a nice ball point pen and a set of "Retired Teamster" liscense plate frames when I pulled the plug.

demetriddp

abomination of nature
I just read an internal e-mail that said UPS will no longer offer a catalog gift for any safe driving or years of service awards.

I have 30 years safe driving and just ordered my gift last week.

What gift did you order? They let me order something from the catalog for just a week of no misloads. It was just a $5 backpack though.

barnyard

KTM rider
Could see it coming and I don't blame whoever decided to cut it. In accounting circles, it would be called, 'low hanging fruit.'

TB

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I just got a slow cooker for my safe driving award. Its not through the same place anymore. Its on upsers.com.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You could see this was coming. Too bad. At one time Safe Driving and Years of Service were great programs with alot of good prizes. (that was years ago). I still have 2 brand new UPS billfolds I've never used. The Teamsters gave me a real nice tri-fold billfold, a nice ball point pen and a set of "Retired Teamster" liscense plate frames when I pulled the plug.

I loved those UPS billfolds. You used to get one for every year along with any other gifts. Rod, I'll swim the Mississippi to your back yard, drink many libations, and swim back to the good side with a new wallet.

over9five

Staff member
It's a sad day at UPS. I mean, those awards weren't top of the line, but they meant something.

Remember all their raises are frozen. A little payback, maybe?

Not a good thing to discontinue, IMHO.

The turkeys on the other hand.....

I think I gave my last wallet to my brother. I can't put anything in my back pockets thicker than a handkerchief, too tough on the sciatica.

over9five

Staff member
I think I gave my last wallet to my brother. I can't put anything in my back pockets thicker than a handkerchief, too tough on the sciatica.

When I was in Package, I could not work with anything in my pockets. Kept my wallet in the back of the car.
No sciatica, I just felt things in my pocket slowed me down!

I missed 5 1/2 months work due to sciatica in the late '70s. It was so bad I couldn't reach my feet to put my shoes on. Couldn't set for more than 10 minutes, stand for 20 or lay down for an hour at a time. I was constantly changing positions. Well, not for the whole time I was off, but the doctors didn't want me driving during that time and we didn't have TAW in our area then. I was miserable.

tae111

I ordered the Sony 7 speaker surround sound system. It hasn't shipped yet though. hmm I wonder. I know times are tough but cancelling the Circle of Hinor banquets? You have to have 25 years of accident free driving to get into the Circle of Honor. Imagine how much money you saved them in that time period.
These awards have been part of the UPS culture almost from the beginning. I'll bet Jim Casey is turning in his grave.......Again

705red

Browncafe Steward
Don't forget they have now cancelled the circle of honor dinners. This dinner and recognition is what a lot of drivers aimed for! I understand cutting back to save a few dollars, but without a goal to be reached there is no extra initiative to reach 25 years of safe driving.

We are still a profitable company even in these times, and to take away something as important as the circle of honor dinner which is the highest level of recognition to please the stockholders is border line criminal! IMO

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Don't forget they have now cancelled the circle of honor dinners. This dinner and recognition is what a lot of drivers aimed for! I understand cutting back to save a few dollars, but without a goal to be reached there is no extra initiative to reach 25 years of safe driving.

We are still a profitable company even in these times, and to take away something as important as the circle of honor dinner which is the highest level of recognition to please the stockholders is border line criminal! IMO

Rumor has it not cancelled.

Tiny Panda

We've only started getting gifts for safe driving in the past 2-3 years here in the UK so they better not stop it here just yet. Not that it would affect me, i lost my 6 years last month with a minor prang on the ice!!

We've only started getting gifts for safe driving in the past 2-3 years here in the UK so they better not stop it here just yet. Not that it would affect me, i lost my 6 years last month with a minor prang on the ice!!
Here that'll just cost you maybe a year off the record.

Tiny Panda

I contested it all i could, only doing 20mph but "should have been going slower"

Theres no reality to the accident follow-up procedure

tae111

Brownmaster you may be right. I'm just saying last night I was in the managers office and the manager was reading their e-mail. That e-mail plainly said that all Circle of Honor banquets were no longer being held and the gifts for safe driving and years of service were discontinued. I was actually permitted to read it myself and we had a discusson about it afterward. It appeared to come from the region.