Safe Driving and Years of Service Awards Gone!

New to the site but not new to the company. As far as them taking things away from you, lets see... do you pay for your benefits, no...do you get a raise every year, yes...and can they cut your job... NO. So what exactly have "they taken from you" Stop moaning about a t-shirt or a cheap pen that you won't be getting.

UPSNewbie

New to the site but not new to the company. As far as them taking things away from you, lets see... do you pay for your benefits, no...do you get a raise every year, yes...and can they cut your job... NO. So what exactly have "they taken from you" Stop moaning about a t-shirt or a cheap pen that you won't be getting.

I don't think it's the prizes they're worried about. It's the thought of no longer having a goal of safe driving; the thought.

TGD

I need more carbon paper
but without a goal to be reached there is no extra initiative to reach 25 years of safe driving.

IMO
So, are you just going to aim for parked cars and dogs now that you won't get a BBQ grill.
If the bitter people on this site focused that hateful energy into doing everything they could to make the company successful, things could turn around a lot faster.
How many times have you heard a driver say "I'm not turning in any sales leads, I've got enough work on my route now" Growing the business enough adds routes and takes that extra work to the new route.

Not exactly rocket science
Sorry for the rant, but I, too am glad to be going to work every day.:happy2:

Guess what...I am a free American, I can bitch about anything I want. If I feel I have been wronged, I will say so.
And don't come around tell me..,". do you pay for your benefits, no...do you get a raise every year, yes...and can they cut your job... NO.".. I, along with every other UPS employee, pay for everything we get with blood, sweat and tears plus lots of hours. UPS does so very little out of the goodness of their hearts, in fact they do less and less each year. What they have taken is a rich tradition of pride and respect. They took it and gave it to the stock holders. They take the dignity and sense of accomplishment from workers that take pride in what they do and how they do it.So take your higher than you attitude and.....keep it to yourself. I doubt anyone cares.

note: I realize that what I said doesn't hold true for every center and every management person or every driver or part time worker.

They were giving those out here too. But guess what? Not allowed to wear them on-road! The drivers who got them were outraged. Where else you gonna wear the stupid UPS cap? At home on your day off???
They let us wear them. I don't see why they wouldn't let y'all, they are official UPS caps.

peppa

Don't let him lecture you about not paying for benefits! He is just a disgruntled supervisor and probably treats his people like dogs. Primarily because he is treated like that.
It took me twenty years to realize I couldn't take it anymore(Being a UPS Manager), and guess what, I walked into a new company and was promoted to a district manager in 3 months.
You know why? Because I treated people fairly and they worked hard for me. Just like my drivers did for me until the company went public and lost it's identity and their minds.

A request to him.
Tell us about your management incentice program. did you get 20 grand this Christmas or are you a center manager(who gets 40)?

its sad that a multi billion dollar company is going to take away our awards for safety. what will they take away next.. no more turkeys, no more turkey coupons... management wants a little more everyday from mevery driver, but what does that get us, nothing. Wait it does get us something, but all that we do for our company is not enough, so now they take away what litlle reward we get for our safe driving and injury free working days. they are just going to be taking and taking everything away.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't let him lecture you about not paying for benefits! He is just a disgruntled supervisor and probably treats his people like dogs. Primarily because he is treated like that.
It took me twenty years to realize I couldn't take it anymore(Being a UPS Manager), and guess what, I walked into a new company and was promoted to a district manager in 3 months.
You know why? Because I treated people fairly and they worked hard for me. Just like my drivers did for me until the company went public and lost it's identity and their minds.

A request to him.
Tell us about your management incentice program. did you get 20 grand this Christmas or are you a center manager(who gets 40)?
Assuming you were ever in management, you've been gone for a while. It's nothing like that anymore. Sup is lucky to walk away with 7K and $14k for manager. Times have changed.

peppa

I took 9800 after taxes in 07 and I was a sup. 11400 in 06 after tax.

I know what they got in 08 as well. I've got no reason to embelish.

peppa

You should also never assume.

You may be talking about cash walk away, but there are also RSU given at the same time that are applicable to dividend payouts.

I sincerely hope I am not causing you to question someone's word.

pretzel_man

Takeing away safety awards......Jim Casey is rolling over in his grave.

Really??...

Jim Casey suspended giving out turkeys for over 10 years after the depression.

He said that there were options to reduce peoples' pay, but he didn't want to do that. He said that the competition was doing that but that UPS needed to find other ways to cut costs.

He also said that we needed to take care of the stockholders. He said that it was the stockholders money that allowed us to have the jobs we do.

Jim talked over and over about adjusting to changing times. These are certainly changing times.

P-Man

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Jim talked over and over about adjusting to changing times. These are certainly changing times.

P-Man

Changing times or not, UPS has treated its people less like people since the company went public. Taking away awards and any other incentives that celebrate accomplishments is not the right way to do it. Last time I checked this company was still making money. The recession has kept that number down but it is still on the good side

During our 100th birthday celebration, the propaganda of how Jim Casey treated his employees permeated from every center's office. Now in South New England, I am seeing how drivers in the 21st century will be treated. We are the testing ground for telemantics in the country and even the guys putting their seatbelts on .1 seconds too slow are being scrutinized.

Until we work and act like robots, UPS will take the fun and love out of working in the truck.

pretzel_man

Changing times or not, UPS has treated its people less like people since the company went public. Taking away awards and any other incentives that celebrate accomplishments is not the right way to do it. Last time I checked this company was still making money. The recession has kept that number down but it is still on the good side

During our 100th birthday celebration, the propaganda of how Jim Casey treated his employees permeated from every center's office. Now in South New England, I am seeing how drivers in the 21st century will be treated. We are the testing ground for telemantics in the country and even the guys putting their seatbelts on .1 seconds too slow are being scrutinized.

Until we work and act like robots, UPS will take the fun and love out of working in the truck.

First, I'm not a fan of UPS as a public company. I don't think it was good for the organization, but this is not the cause of all problems. Competition is tougher today than ever.

Casey was a complex man, and I'm certain he would have made the tough decisions and cut costs, including awards if he felt it necessary.

He was an amazing people person, but he also wanted to most from every individual. Remember, he is the one that brought work measurement to UPS through the hiring of George Smith. Also, remember that he chose George to replace him.

I think he could have seen how telematics could be used properly.

Here is a quote of his:

"Averages tell us what the group did, but in that group there are some good producers, some average producers and some poor producers. To get good production out of each person we must first know what that person is doing."

P-Man

jw55wags

Looks like I won't get my 30 year award. I ordered it last week and the conformation # never got to me. CRAP! And now no turkeys too. God help us.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Here is a quote of his:

"Averages tell us what the group did, but in that group there are some good producers, some average producers and some poor producers. To get good production out of each person we must first know what that person is doing."

P-Man

I agree with you about going public

But i do not agree with how they are wringing out the employees.

Even the best employees (production wise) are getting scrutinized with the new system. Company morale will be at an all-time low when this system goes forth. I can't wait for the ERI survey.