safe driving

teresarice

I recently had 5 days of 12 to 13 hour days no breaks had to make sure I stayed under 12 hours and my tank time was less then 100 . route im not confy with being newbie and all and not driving much since december . Yes Im winning dont want to hear it... My question is does ups study (there office geeks in suits that work 8 hours with coffee) the effects of being tired at the wheel ? from what I have read I would have been safer with more sleep and 2 drinks... I just get sick of never being good enough no Im not on there black list of losers Im just at the bottom and have been for 4 years everything effects the bottom. Air is late i pull off my route to get it . Someone needs long lunch I take more stops I can go on and on there is no sup at are center its small. They have squeezed all routes and dropped cut route we get called every morning with bitches . I DR ed a buisness 4 min early and got an ass chewing It was lunch there even though they where closed for day silly **** that dont matter I get the dam boxes out every day people like me I have no route so do what i need to get it done.On time and safe . Anyway I love the job just wish there was alittle more appreciation from ups for the hard work we all do everyday No Im not quiting Im a single mom . Just wonder is there anyone with the same situation? Please be gentle on me guys Iv read some of the comments ..Just want to do my job.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Do your job safely and to the best of your ability.

Take your lunch and your breaks just like normal people do.

If you do these things and are unable to complete the route, sheet the packages as "missed", bring them back, and try again the next day.

If your management team is unhappy with the results, perhaps they will start making better choices as far as eliminating routes.

I grew up in Coos Bay, just up 101 from Brookings. Nice town, pretty part of the country down there. We drove thru there a couple of years ago on our way down to Crescent City CA to see the redwoods.

teresarice

Thanks yes its beautiful here . Im very lucky to get this job just wish they had a little more respect for our personal life.:happy2:

delivery_boy

seems lately ups does not care how long you work or how tired you get. wish they would tell us the truth but that seems beyond their capability.

TheDick

I've never seen ups respect the personal lives of drivers. Ive seen them play favorites with some but that's a whole other issue. Personal lives has nothing to do with the job. I cant imagine why you'd DR a business-thats not "on time and safe". Thats a bad move. Stop screwing up and do your job the way ups wants it done. When u use safe driving methods and safe work methods you will make more money and do less work. And read your contract. Or you'll be a unemployed single mother.
Good luck

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Someone needs long lunch I take more stops

Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot and then complaining that it hurts.

First, you need to take your lunch. Each and every day. Then you need to understand that it is UPS's problem to get you in under the hour limmit they impose. Not yours.

As has been mentioned, do your job by the book, quit taking work off people just becasue they need a "long lunch" (not sure what that means, as lunch is spelled out in the contract).

Sometimes rookie drivers are their own worst enemy. That is what it sounds like you are dealing with. There are a lot of things you are doing that could get you fired, or at the least suspended. Do your job, nothing more or less. Take your lunch.

d

Braveheart

If you are skipping your lunch now they will expect it and continue to overdispatch you every day. IF 8 DRIVERS SKIP LUNCH THEY WILL CUT A ROUTE!!!

Stop skipping lunch. Drive safe. Work safe. Inform them AFTER you take lunch that there will be business or resi misses. We send info at 3pm. I take lunch from 2:45 to 3:45 and send info about misses at 3 sharp informing them out to lunch until 3:45 and where to come get the work.

I stop answering diad until 3:45. I do try to tell them in AM but they do not listen so I do not listen during MY LUNCH.

Good luck.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Everyone has given you great advice Teresa. Now it is up to you to listen and pay attention. Don't fall into the trap of letting them (mgt) blame you for not getting done. Don't fall into the trap of listening to other drivers whine about how much work they have. They are experienced and they know how the game works. Learn to say NO to other drivers. You will be better off in the long run. The other drivers are not the bosses. Take your lunch and breaks. During the day when you are supposed to.

The bottom line is, you are responsible for yourself and that truck and its contents. Some office geek may have done a study but it doesn't matter. If you get tired during the day, take a break. You are the one that is allowing them to beat the crap out of you. If you get into the rut of not taking lunch and breaks it will be 10X's harder fighting to get them back. If you have misses, don't worry about it. Bring them back. They will yell and scream bloody murder. Let it go in one ear and out the other. However, make sure you use the methods, all of them. Then you are covered.

I know, BTDT! And it does get better. I swear! It will get better. It just takes time.

ups_vette

I take lunch from 2:45 to 3:45 and send info about misses at 3 sharp informing them out to lunch until 3:45 and where to come get the work.

I stop answering diad until 3:45. I do try to tell them in AM but they do not listen so I do not listen during MY LUNCH.

Good luck.

If your center manager gets a phone call at 2:36 that your wife, or close family member, had a serious accident and is in critcal condition, you would not fault your center manager for not calling you till 3:45 when you have finished your lunch, to inform you of the critical condition your family member is in because you have made the decision not answer your diad during that time frame.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I recently had 5 days of 12 to 13 hour days no breaks had to make sure I stayed under 12 hours and my tank time was less then 100 . route im not confy with being newbie and all and not driving much since december . Yes Im winning dont want to hear it... My question is does ups study (there office geeks in suits that work 8 hours with coffee) the effects of being tired at the wheel ? from what I have read I would have been safer with more sleep and 2 drinks... I just get sick of never being good enough no Im not on there black list of losers Im just at the bottom and have been for 4 years everything effects the bottom. Air is late i pull off my route to get it . Someone needs long lunch I take more stops I can go on and on there is no sup at are center its small. They have squeezed all routes and dropped cut route we get called every morning with bitches . I DR ed a buisness 4 min early and got an ass chewing It was lunch there even though they where closed for day silly **** that dont matter I get the dam boxes out every day people like me I have no route so do what i need to get it done.On time and safe . Anyway I love the job just wish there was alittle more appreciation from ups for the hard work we all do everyday No Im not quiting Im a single mom . Just wonder is there anyone with the same situation? Please be gentle on me guys Iv read some of the comments ..Just want to do my job.
Had a bit of trouble reading this post. Reminded me of this commercial. What I think I gleaned from the above mumbo jumbo is, are you BBAG?

FedEx commercial with John Moschitta

P

pickup

Had a bit of trouble reading this post. Reminded me of this commercial. What I think I gleaned from the above mumbo jumbo is, are you BBAG?

possible responses: 1)"What is this BBAG of which you speak?

2) "How dare you say that? I am a person looking for help and thought I could find it here. What a bunch of jerks. huumph, I am taking my marbles and going elsewhere (Sheesh)

- If #2 is the response, it could also be Sexy paying us another visit.

fethrs

possible responses: 1)"What is this BBAG of which you speak?

2) "How dare you say that? I am a person looking for help and thought I could find it here. What a bunch of jerks. huumph, I am taking my marbles and going elsewhere (Sheesh)

- If #2 is the response, it could also be Sexy paying us another visit.

I'm not positive, but I don't think S worked for UPS. I think his friend was a UPS driver and he (S) had a business and used UPS for his shipping.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If your center manager gets a phone call at 2:36 that your wife, or close family member, had a serious accident and is in critcal condition, you would not fault your center manager for not calling you till 3:45 when you have finished your lunch, to inform you of the critical condition your family member is in because you have made the decision not answer your diad during that time frame.
Can I reply to this? I am not a Dr. so if my family member is hospitalized within my lunch hour, I'm sure that they will receive the proper medical attention required. I will not answer my DIAD during lunch.Why do people always use this excuse when talking about answering DIAD's and the need for Cell phones?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can I reply to this? I am not a Dr. so if my family member is hospitalized within my lunch hour, I'm sure that they will receive the proper medical attention required. I will not answer my DIAD during lunch.Why do people always use this excuse when talking about answering DIAD's and the need for Cell phones?

Steve, my son fell off the monkey bars when he was 5 or 6 and broke his wrist. He kept asking where his Dad was and why he wasn't there. His grandfather had to take him in. My (ex) wife, who was also working, called UPS (this was before cell phones) and asked them to tell me. I didn't hear about it until I got off the road. This is why there is the need for cell phones!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Steve, my son fell off the monkey bars when he was 5 or 6 and broke his wrist. He kept asking where his Dad was and why he wasn't there. His grandfather had to take him in. My (ex) wife, who was also working, called UPS (this was before cell phones) and asked them to tell me. I didn't hear about it until I got off the road. This is why there is the need for cell phones!!
+1
My wife called me in tears one morning as I was pulling off the dock to tell me that her father had just died. Without my cellphone I would not have found out until I was already miles away on my rural route, and that's assuming that my center team would have got right on it as soon they heard from her.
As it was, I was able to park the truck, hand the keys to a supervisor and drive my wife straight to the hospital and be there to help her make all the decisions. That cell phone is worth every penny.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

+1
My wife called me in tears one morning as I was pulling off the dock to tell me that her father had just died. Without my cellphone I would not have found out until I was already miles away on my rural route, and that's assuming that my center team would have got right on it as soon they heard from her.
As it was, I was able to park the truck, hand the keys to a supervisor and drive my wife straight to the hospital and be there to help her make all the decisions. That cell phone is worth every penny.
I am wavering back and forth on this. I would never answer my diad during lunch or breaks. And I may or may not answer my phone regardless of who was calling. That is why there is voice mail. Emergencies happen and if for some reason I didn't get a message right away it would, most likely, have been by my choice.

I do, however, agree that diad's and cell are a necessity. 4 months ago come Thurs, a very dear friend of ours died during the night. The first call I got was during my pcm. I ignored the call. The second call I almost ignored as well because I had a sup on the truck with me. I thank god every day that I did not ignore it and I bless that sup for his kind heartedness and the concern that he showed me over my obvious distress.

We each make our own choices. They aren't necessarily right or wrong. I would not, willingly, leave the house without my phone. But I do, willingly, choose not to answer it or my diad.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
+1
Yes they are in an instance like that. Seen it happen, and the answer was, they are dead, what can you do.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Someone was there for him. What more could you do but just be there? Did this event change your relationship with him? Dad works for a living, plain and simple.

+1
Not wavering. All you could do was be there for her, which is a good thing for her. Then what? You won't be there for every crying moment in her life, will you, can you? Not saying that you shouldn't want to be there. Just saying that we aren't Superheroes.

Yes they are in an instances like that. Seen it happen, and the answer was, they are dead, what can you do.
I hope this doesn't make me MGMT bound.

Sorry people, but when it comes to me, I'd rather do without the phone, even in all of these situations. I'm not a Superhero and am not gonna go haywire trying to change/prevent/avert something like this. Life has to happen. JMHO, as always. Sorry for the HiJack.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
This is why now texting is much better than calling. If someone texts it to you then you can see if it is important. I don't text while driving but do like it for being able to see what is going on without talking to someone..... I have also had my cell phone for 13yrs and can't imaging how much money I have spent on phones or the bills but wouldn't do without........