Safety Audit/Ketter question?

SnakePlissken

When UPS sends representatives to do Ketter/safety audits-- what is my obligation? I mean they "randomly select" us and force us to answer their questions-- but are we obligated to? I don't recall anything in the contact that was agreed to regarding this issue.

UPS fired a driver at my building and when he was trying (and succeeding) to get his job back-- they tried to use everything that he had ever signed in the past against him. So I quit signing anything, including safety rides. I only sign DOT required documents. I've been told 2 different stories-- that the fact that he did sign them actually helped him get his job back and that it didn't matter-- but I don't sign anything until I know for sure which is the safest course of action to take.

So when the auditors stop me to answer those questions, my question is-- do I have to? FYI, I got a 100% the last time I had to answer to an auditor a couple of years ago-- so I know them fairly well, I just don't want to have to answer them. When they stop me, can I politely refuse? I asked my steward about this issue and he said it was a good question-- but he didn't have an answer-- so I'm asking here.

Snake

over9five

Staff member
I find it hard to believe someone got fired for not knowing DOK garbage.

IMHO, you have to TRY to answer the questions if you are approached while on the clock.
If it's before you punch in, or after you've punched out, politely tell them to pound sand.

​There is just NO WAY they can fire you (and make it stick) for not knowing that spew.

SnakePlissken

You misunderstood what I was trying to say/ask.

The driver didn't get fired because of the audit questions-- I can't recall what reason they fired him actually.

Sorry for any confusion, I guess I didn't state it very well.

I was providing some background as to why I personally refuse to sign anything except DOT required stuff.

Along with that mentality, I was wondering if I was contractually obligated to answer their stupid questions and perform their idiotic lifting of a package trick that try try to fail you on.

And if I did refuse, what would the penalty be for declining?

UPSGUY72

You misunderstood what I was trying to say/ask.

The driver didn't get fired because of the audit questions-- I can't recall what reason they fired him actually.

Sorry for any confusion, I guess I didn't state it very well.

I was providing some background as to why I personally refuse to sign anything except DOT required stuff.

Along with that mentality, I was wondering if I was contractually obligated to answer their stupid questions and perform their idiotic lifting of a package trick that try try to fail you on.

And if I did refuse, what would the penalty be for declining?

It's a lot easier to just remember the DOK garbage and spit it out when ask then they will move on to the next person. Your spending more time trying to find a way of not having to answer the questions then it would be to remember the garbage.

Keter is not UPS they are a private company that UPS has contracted with to do safety Audits as result of a settlement with the government years back due to UPS high accident / injury rates. It was either pay a large fine each year or hire keter. They choose to hire keter.

It would be in your best interest to just answer the keter person question to the best of your ability when on the clock. Then again is you like would like to have a large bulls eyes on your for the foreseeable future go right ahead and decline to answer.

If you really don't want to have to answer any question then don't walk into the building till 1 minute before your punch in time and when you come back avoid anyone and everyone that not a driver.

Last edited:
A

anonymous6

I told the boss that if an auditor came up to me I would ask them 1. why do they announce their visits weeks in advance and 2. why do they question drivers that on road supes push in front of them ? ( the guys that know the stuff cold ) so they never bother me even know I would really like to know what they would answer.

it's all a game and a sham and everyone knows it.

btw.. I ask for copies of my ride along paperwork so I can learn from them and they can't add on anything after the fact.

SnakePlissken

Well, if all of us stuck together, we could protect ourselves from the bullseye. I know it won't happen though. But if this bull$#!+ medical benefit supplement passes, at present I can't find a better way to tell UPS to smell me.

I would answer them the best you can and not stress over it. If you suck no worries you tried. The next time they're there they will try and keep yiu away from them.

didyousheetit

I told the boss that if an auditor came up to me I would ask them 1. why do they announce their visits weeks in advance and 2. why do they question drivers that on road supes push in front of them ? ( the guys that know the stuff cold ) so they never bother me even know I would really like to know what they would answer.

it's all a game and a sham and everyone knows it.

btw.. I ask for copies of my ride along paperwork so I can learn from them and they can't add on anything after the fact.
let me ask you a question. Every time I get a ride along I'm told "we have to find 8 things wrong with you " and they check 8 boxes I rts the paperwork. My question is if that is the "corporate number" if dot or dol ever looked into it would they find 99% of paperwork with 8 things listed wrong? Because you know there is no sup going to do more than they have to anymore.

oldngray

nowhere special
The audit is management getting graded which is why they are obsessed about the numbers. Hourly people shouldn't care in the least.

Theking30

SHORTY
If ups wants me to know this stuff , I would suggest a full day of classroom each week for me to study. Then I might be able to get passed 3 on the 10 point commentary.

cynic

When I was loading and an auditor came by to ask a question, I would stop the belt, let packages fall all over, leading to the PT sup freaking out. I just told them I wasn't able to focus on two things at the same time SAFELY. The auditor was moved on to the next person... I do the same thing in unload. Stop the belt, step out of the trailer so I'm not hit by a Jenga wall of packages so I can give my "undivided attention" to the auditor... bye bye...