Safety Awards

M

Mike23

It's over? Maybe in the real world I guess. Talk to the drivers they're still cutting. UPS world apparently runs in a different world. I guess that's why we're stop proof?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Since the recession is apparently over, does anyone think that we'll ever get our awards catalog back?

I doubt it. Too many people said they did not care about it and most others complained about the prize selection.
It seemed to be more of an irritant and a negative rather than something people appreciated.

NHDRVR

The recession will be over when our customers say it is. I hate arguing over politics (there are no winners) but I can't see where spending a billion to make a million makes much sense.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It is a very nice plaque I got for 25 yrs. No prize. The prizes were good for milestones. Oh well I go buy my own prize, another week of vaca!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I would like to see it return but would suggest that only milestone years (1st award at 5 years and then every 5 years thereafter) be recognized.
I thought that's how it was, anyways. I think they should do away with the catalogue and give a weeks long vacation for the entire family to anywhere in the good ole U.S.A. That would boost the economy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I thought that's how it was, anyways. I think they should do away with the catalogue and give a weeks long vacation for the entire family to anywhere in the good ole U.S.A. That would boost the economy.

Steve, you may be thinking of years of service awards, which are given every 5 years. Safe driving awards used to be given annually. The prize selection tended to be on the cheap side for the non-milestone years which is why I suggested only honoring milestone years.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, you may be thinking of years of service awards, which are given every 5 years. Safe driving awards used to be given annually. The prize selection tended to be on the cheap side for the non-milestone years which is why I suggested only honoring milestone years.
You're right, that's exactly what I was thinking. I also agree with the milestone idea, though there should be some sort of yearly pat on the back reminder.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Really, its over? I just talked to 15 people on my area friday that are getting laid off, tell them its over!!!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It really is a mistake to develop a sense of entitlement or expectation towards the "extra" stuff like Safety awards, bar-b-q's, Xmas turkeys, founders day trinkets and sales lead points.

Those things are nice...but they arent in the contract. They can be given (or taken away) at the sole discretion of the company.

I am obligated to provide a fair days work in exchange for a fair days pay. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm here to do the job and earn a wage, a retirement, and benefits for my family. I'm not here for the free food.

bigblu 2 you

It really is a mistake to develop a sense of entitlement or expectation towards the "extra" stuff like Safety awards, bar-b-q's, Xmas turkeys, founders day trinkets and sales lead points.

Those things are nice...but they arent in the contract. They can be given (or taken away) at the sole discretion of the company.

I am obligated to provide a fair days work in exchange for a fair days pay. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm here to do the job and earn a wage, a retirement, and benefits for my family. I'm not here for the free food.
so can i have your stuff,or if your not gonna eat that can ........well you know.

It's also a mistake for UPS management to develop a sense of entitlement when it comes to United Way contributions, sales leads, and all the other extras that management wants us to do. They are nice and make management's job easier and makes them look good, but can be taken away at the discretion of the employee.
As you said, I'm here to do the job and earn my wage. I deliver and pick up packages. Anything else is entirely up to me. UPS management would do well to remember that when getting cheap with what they call "extras."

whiskey

Since the recession is aparently over, does anyone think that we'll ever get our awards catalogue back?
Thank God the recession is over. And that it ended before contract negotiations. Thank God.
But give credit where credit is due. It was Barack Obama that ended this recession. Who said actions speak louder than words?

john346

No more Brown!
I'm actually amazed they kept them as along as they did. As for them coming back? I seriously doubt it, recession or not, the same argument was waged when they decided to drop the 1K xmas bonus, anyone remember those?