Safety commitee members quitting

browned out

Our safety commitee members are quitting because their suggestions and findings lead to no improvements.

Just another day in the life of a company that preaches saftey but does not really give a damn.

They raised the weight limit to 150lbs knowing that this would severely injure some employees. UPS is very calculating. I am sure they did a cost to profit ratio. They figured the cost of paying comp and buying injured people out against increased revenue.

If they cared about saftey; some of the old death trap packages cars from the 60's and 70's would be crushed into cubes and we would get some new ones.

They would equip all package cars with a shoulder restrain seat belt.
Hopefully we have not suffered any serious injuries due to these problems.

They had the funds to do this long ago.

Instead we got new paint and logos on all of our vehicles and planes.
I think those millions of dollars could have been much better spent.

ikoi62

We've got a couple that are 1982 models. God, how I hate them.

i know we have at least 2 that are late 70's, and lots from the 80's what sucks is that i remember when the 80's trucks were brand new. i just don't line the look of the new ones they look to euro looking.

over9five

Staff member
It still boggles my mind that a person with any self respect would be on a safety committee. Here, the safety committee is made up of mostly new hires and a couple brown noses (people with their letter in).

Overpaid Union Thug

It still boggles my mind that a person with any self respect would be on a safety committee. Here, the safety committee is made up of mostly new hires and a couple brown noses (people with their letter in).

Same here. But instead of the people with their letter in we have hypocritical taddle tails. And nothing is ever done to fix the issues. Some of the issues are hilliarious though and I don't blame anyone for ignoring them. One guy on the committee complained that part-timers were adjusting the seat in his truck before they pull trucks out and not adjusting them back! LOL!

browned out

Same here. But instead of the people with their letter in we have hypocritical taddle tails. And nothing is ever done to fix the issues. Some of the issues are hilliarious though and I don't blame anyone for ignoring them. One guy on the committee complained that part-timers were adjusting the seat in his truck before they pull trucks out and not adjusting them back! LOL!

In our center if you are in an accident or injured they kinda try to strongarm people into it. Or trade maybe no warning notice if you join.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In my building the safety committee has morphed into the biggest scam. Safety committee members get to start an hour early and get paid for handing out leaflets in front of the building. Cover drivers run their routes so they can spend the day preparing for the "safety cookout" that evening (this happens at least once a week). They get paid for this as well. Some of these guys don't go on the road more than 2-3 times a week because they're attending conferences, meetings, "training", you name it. All paid for. About a month ago(while it was still warm) as I was walking into the building in the morning I saw a group of them all dressed up in dockers and golf shirts. Apparently we had reached some "safety milestone" and they were all being rewarded with a day on the links. I didn't ask if they got paid for it but it wouldn't surprise me. It was a friday too.

over9five

Staff member
It's always easy to pick out a safety committee member. They're the ones who speed by you on the highway. The runners and gunners.

Always amazes me that the safety committee members are the most unsafe drivers.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It's always easy to pick out a safety committee member. They're the ones who speed by you on the highway. The runners and gunners.

Always amazes me that the safety committee members are the most unsafe drivers.

Thats because the reason most of them joined in the first place is because of their accidents and they are scared of being fired! I gave up a long time ago on the Safety Committee. For about twenty years, I have complained about the dirty windshields and kept suggesting that a squeegee and bucket be kept at the fuel pumps to fix this problem. "Uhh, thats an excellent idea!" I have been told. Nothing has ever been done.:whiteflag:

over9five

Staff member
"...and kept suggesting that a squeegee and bucket be kept at the fuel pumps to fix this problem."

An easy solution that would cost next to nothing. No wonder they wouldn't do it...... !

Overpaid Union Thug

"...and kept suggesting that a squeegee and bucket be kept at the fuel pumps to fix this problem."

An easy solution that would cost next to nothing. No wonder they wouldn't do it...... !

And it's probably one of the few legit safety issues that is brought up, yet, nothing is ever done about it. In our center we have to beg, or be one of managements pet drivers, in order to get our windshields washed. The night shift can't wash but a few per night because they'll have "too many car wash hours." LOL! Pathetic.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I stopped going to safety committee meetings when they started submitting reports of me performing PCMs when I hadn't.

ihadit

I think its great, company pays an extra hour a day o/t for us to adjust mirrors and walk around. We get to report all the p/t sups being the most unsafe.

If they cared about saftey; some of the old death trap packages cars from the 60's and 70's would be crushed into cubes and we would get some new ones.

WOW, We only have 2 or 3 85's around the rest are alot are 2001. We just got 15 2007's of all sizes and we are only a 30 car center. I just got a new P1000 and it is fantastic.
As far as the commitee goes I feel it is a way to pit one hourly against the next. We have had narcs in the past run to mgmnt for every thing that was being done. I stopped doing it a while ago because everything was being done around the bldg and not enough on the rd.
PAS for instance. How safe is it to add 20 stops to the rte after preaching using the handrail to save your knees.

Our safety commitee members are quitting because their suggestions and findings lead to no improvements.

Just another day in the life of a company that preaches saftey but does not really give a damn.

They raised the weight limit to 150lbs knowing that this would severely injure some employees. UPS is very calculating. I am sure they did a cost to profit ratio. They figured the cost of paying comp and buying injured people out against increased revenue.

Wow we only have a few 87's left then our oldest is 2001. We just 15 2007's in over the past few months and we are a 30 car ctr. I just got a 2007 P1000 and I love it. AUTOMATIC!!!!! I quit safety commitee along time ago because it seemed focus was around the bldg and not enough on the street. I consider car wash to be a big safety item and I am lucky mine gets done every 3 weeks.

Last edited: