Safety Committee drivers run out of hours Friday

ups1990

This is completely outrageous. Why would management have these drivers work in the morning doing a bunch of silly chores and run out of hours and have a very easy Friday, while the rest of us, who should be a little lighter have to absorb work from the other in order to compensate. Next year, I'll decline a helper and coast it in on Friday.

Omega man

They should have had them drive first to use up their available hours. Make them do their safety silliness afterwards late into the night.

Integrity

Binge Poster
This is completely outrageous. Why would management have these drivers work in the morning doing a bunch of silly chores and run out of hours and have a very easy Friday, while the rest of us, who should be a little lighter have to absorb work from the other in order to compensate. Next year, I'll decline a helper and coast it in on Friday.
ups1990,

Even though my experience has shown me that Union Leadership does little to enforce the Master Contract regarding Safety Committees,the contract is the contract.

Safety Committees are important.

Safety is the utmost important parameter of our workday. This is Union and a management fact. How we live out these facts doesn't change them.

If you want to receive this perceived benefit from being on the safety committee then,

Why don't you volunteer for the committee?

The collective bargaining agreement states: In Article 18 sec 20.4 that,

Bargaining unit members who seek to serve on the Safety andHealth Committee may volunteer to do so, with approval of theLocal Union. The Union co-chair of the committee(s) shall beselected by the bargaining unit members of the committee.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Sincerely,
I

brownelf

technically the hours I work doing safety commitee work are not considered on road hours. As Integrity said, being a member of the safety commitee is voluntary and does have its benefits. It puts money in my pocket and gives me the chance to have contact with the people I represent as a steward in a non disciplinary setting. I'm also given immediate notification and access to accident reports that were otherwise difficult to obtain at times in the past.

Integrity

Binge Poster
safety committees are worthless
TearsInRain,

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Safety Committees are an integral part of the internal whistle blowing processes in many large corporations.

Sometimes their worth is only to they extent that they reveal the internal processes are severely flawed and that the whistle needs to be blown to the regulatory bodies outside the corporation.

Unfortunately the stonewalling and the circling of the wagons that goes on when you try to blow the whistle internally makes going outside necessary.

To your point, the Safety Committee processes are severely flawed.

Sincerely,
I

over9five

Staff member
technically the hours I work doing safety commitee work are not considered on road hours. As Integrity said, being a member of the safety commitee is voluntary and does have its benefits. It puts money in my pocket and gives me the chance to have contact with the people I represent as a steward in a non disciplinary setting. I'm also given immediate notification and access to accident reports that were otherwise difficult to obtain at times in the past.
Any hours you work doing safety most certainly count toward your 60, which is what the OP was complaining about.
I agree it was stupid to do safety crap this week allowing safety members to have a nice Friday while everyone else was pooched.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Any hours you work doing safety most certainly count toward your 60, which is what the OP was complaining about.
I agree it was stupid to do safety crap this week allowing safety members to have a nice Friday while everyone else was pooched.

Safety is always paramount and is always in the forefront of every UPS employee - hourly and management.

tourists24

Safety is always paramount and is always in the forefront of every UPS employee - hourly and management.
Now you tell me!!!.... lol.... Im sure that was the thinking when my supervisor tried to get me to skip 45 minutes of my lunch so I would be able to make it in before the 11pm mark, which is when the DOT requirement went into effect...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

They are still hours of service which count towards the 60 hour DOT maximum.

Once you have worked 60 hours...in any capacity...you cannot drive anymore. So the 2 or 3 hours a "safety committee" member wastes on coloring posters, grading asessments or inventing new acronyms is 2 or 3 hours that some other driver is going to have to spend doing actual work like delivering or picking up packages on Friday night when the "safety committee" member is conveniently out of hours and home with his/her family.

Most of the time I could care less if the "safety committee" members want to pad their hours doing meaningless safety drivel in the office, but during peak they need to set that crap aside and carry their own weight out in the real world like the rest of us.

soberups

The best way for the company to avoid being held accountable for legitimate safety concerns is to give the members of the "safety committee" preferential treatment when it comes to dispatch. Keep 'em in a nice warm office coloring posters and grading assessments for $45 an hour and they wont cause any trouble.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The best way for the company to avoid being held accountable for legitimate safety concerns is to give the members of the "safety committee" preferential treatment when it comes to dispatch. Keep 'em in a nice warm office coloring posters and grading assessments for $45 an hour and they wont cause any trouble.
soberups,

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

If an employee brings an employee concern to one of the internal whistle blowing processes established by many large corporations such as a safety committee then it is the employees responsibility to see that the process satisfies the employee's concern.

If the employee is not satisfied with the outcome or doesn't trust the internal whistle blowing process then it is the employee right and responsiblity to seek an outside whistle blowing process or regulatory body.

Sincerely,
I

soberups

soberups,

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

If an employee brings an employee concern to one of the internal whistle blowing processes established by many large corporations such as a safety committee then it is the employees responsibility to see that the process satisfies the employee's concern.

If the employee is not satisfied with the outcome or doesn't trust the internal whistle blowing process then it is the employee right and responsiblity to seek an outside whistle blowing process or regulatory body.

Sincerely,
I

That is why, when it comes to safety issues, filing a greivance is preferable to getting a worthless "safety committee" involved.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sober, you would have enjoyed this. Our safety chair (mgt) took it upon herself to fill a bucket with soapy water, grab a brush/squeege and step ladder and started washing PC windshields. The only problem was she started this at 0910---our start time was 0915---she got one windshield done.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Sober, you would have enjoyed this. Our safety chair (mgt) took it upon herself to fill a bucket with soapy water, grab a brush/squeege and step ladder and started washing PC windshields. The only problem was she started this at 0910---our start time was 0915---she got one windshield done.
May I suggest perusing Article 18? Of course, I am sure you are aware of what is in the contract.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Are you referring to Section 1, paragraph 1, last sentence:

All package cars and tractors will be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition including mirrors and windshields.

I wasn't criticizing what she was doing--just the timing.
My point is that it should be done daily. And is should NOT be done by management. Some people don't mind management performing bargaining unit work. I do.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Weren't you impressed by how quickly and accurately I referenced the contract?

I agree with you that mgt should not be performing bargaining unit work.
Very impressed. Would be even more impressed if you adhered to it rather than justifying how you twist it to your needs. You may not believe it, but if EVERYONE took their lunch when required it would add jobs. I will not argue this with you because you will try to justify why it works better for you.