Safety Committee

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Even on overtime, I do not go.
It is ludicrous. If they practiced what they preached, I might, but they do not. When it was a serious thing, I did. When it was people actually trying to fix things. But when their is a driver in the district that has a tier 3, and we get threatened with observations, kinda silly. Observe away, you do your job, Ill do mine. It shouldnt be a threat, they are suppose to do it. Just like threatening you with a ride. I dont take it as a threat, I take it as an opportunity.

mikestrek

Even on overtime, I do not go.
It is ludicrous. If they practiced what they preached, I might, but they do not. When it was a serious thing, I did. When it was people actually trying to fix things. But when their is a driver in the district that has a tier 3, and we get threatened with observations, kinda silly. Observe away, you do your job, Ill do mine. It shouldnt be a threat, they are suppose to do it. Just like threatening you with a ride. I dont take it as a threat, I take it as an opportunity.
Also, ever notice when there is a tier 3, The PCM only brings up everything about how bad that driver is and how he/she failed all safety habbits. "BAD EMPLOYEE". We never hear anything about how overloaded that driver was or how much pressure he was under trying to make a commit time. Or how much pressure driver was under to bring pick up's in on time. Or how much pressure driver was under to make all of his scheduled pick up's on time. Or how much pressure driver is under to decide if he needs to call in for help. You'll never hear about any of that stuff at the PCM.

I've been with the company now 24 years and I have learned to just set a pace, Take my full hour lunch and always take my two 15 minute breaks. Even today I have to remind myself of this to stay safe. I can't imagine being a new driver today, When I was young I ran and ran and ran. Time study numbers are much worse now.

McBrown

Slave To The Grind
We never hear anything about how overloaded that driver was or how much pressure he was under trying to make a commit time. Or how much pressure driver was under to bring pick up's in on time. Or how much pressure driver was under to make all of his scheduled pick up's on time. Or how much pressure driver is under to decide if he needs to call in for help. You'll never hear about any of that stuff at the PCM.

For this and many other reasons, I handed my Bus. Manager a letter a few weeks back and resigned as Safety Co-Chair.

When management does their "analysis" as it relates to crashes/injuries, they are trained to find out what could have been distracting you. (i.e. trouble with the wife, dog ran away, any other reason why your mind might not be on the job) This is blatently trying to put all the blame back on the drivers.

I can't tell you how many "repeater interviews" I sat in on where the "offender" was saying these exact same things. Pressure to perform by management.

When I am pulled into the office for any bitching session, I make sure to tell them I chose to leave my bulkhead door open or I chose not to use my handrail. It's what they want to hear anyway. Then I hear the horror stories of the guys who fell out of their truck on to slippery ice and had a compound fracture of the leg or a projectile the size of a pack of gum lodging itself in some driver's head causing him to be in a vegitative state. I thank my steward for coming with me, offer to buy him a coke for wasting his time in the office, and get on with my day.

Safety! IT'S NO ACCIDENT! Yeah right, it's certainly not an accident when they put the blame back on us!

over9five

Staff member
I went to the safety committee once. We had all been working 11-12 hour days for a month. I went to the committee and told them this had to stop. We were all very tired and someone was going to get hurt. Tired people make mistakes. The response I got? "Working 11-12 hour days is not a safety issue".
Really.

My shop steward used to be on the committee. He quit the day after they sent us out in a blizzard, and wouldn't call us back in. You know what I did all day in the blizzard? Drove my PC around and around and around. I didn't dare stop, because I would have been stuck.

There's a safety committee, but there's no REAL safety issues being addressed by it.

mikestrek

For this and many other reasons, I handed my Bus. Manager a letter a few weeks back and resigned as Safety Co-Chair.

When management does their "analysis" as it relates to crashes/injuries, they are trained to find out what could have been distracting you. (i.e. trouble with the wife, dog ran away, any other reason why your mind might not be on the job) This is blatently trying to put all the blame back on the drivers.

I can't tell you how many "repeater interviews" I sat in on where the "offender" was saying these exact same things. Pressure to perform by management.

When I am pulled into the office for any bitching session, I make sure to tell them I chose to leave my bulkhead door open or I chose not to use my handrail. It's what they want to hear anyway. Then I hear the horror stories of the guys who fell out of their truck on to slippery ice and had a compound fracture of the leg or a projectile the size of a pack of gum lodging itself in some driver's head causing him to be in a vegitative state. I thank my steward for coming with me, offer to buy him a coke for wasting his time in the office, and get on with my day.

Safety! IT'S NO ACCIDENT! Yeah right, it's certainly not an accident when they put the blame back on us!
McBrown, I couldn't have said it any better. :happy2:

S

speeddemon

We have a safety program because OSHA says we have too. My father N law is an OSHA inspector. I regularly use that bit of leverage.......=)

IDoLessWorkThanMost

The missload comittee... If you want to spend 1 or 2 days per week driving around shuttling missloads then by all means join the safety, er, missload comittee.

In the last building I worked in, that's the air drivers job. Shuttle around ground misloads. the safety committee union rat didn't do squat, not even misloads :D Just sat in the A/C office and blabbed all day. Sad!

P.S little story summerized.

About 3-4 years ago, I was sorting on the "sort aisle" - there were 2 guys unloading and me sorting. Because of a jam on a sort belt, I moved laterally to break a jam that was behind me.

Moving out of my work area by 3 feet, to unjar the boxes, A 50 pound tube rolled off the belt and fell onto my leg (overflow above all the other boxes from the other side) Of course, it was the enourmous flow that caused this to happen, yet management claimed it was my fault for being out of position! and this was posted into my record, and I eventually took on more problems and harrassment because I did report the injury at the time.

That was very very painful and I was not going to leave without reporting it.

Saftey at UPS? Does not exist - until work is performed at a reasonable pace, and you put yourself in positions where you cannot possibly be injured for any reason. The above references a good example of doing too much (apparently, in UPS's eyes) to not distrupt the operations.

Last edited:
B

Bailey

I've been on the committee for 17 years,started as part time then to full time driver.Yes the comm is sometimes a joke,only having meetings when they have time not living up to what the comm is for.I was sick and tired of doing it half assed so I told them do it correct or I'm done!!It has improved alot since then.Not the perfect comm but improved. The members have to do what they are there for not just the extra pay and to rat out employees!!!I have made management update a lot of safety issues and made my building alot safer and employees come to me when they have concerns because they know I will take care of the problem!My thing is do what it is for.....Make a safe place to work..... Remember this.........If your health is bad because you were not working safe then you have nothing............

mikestrek

In the last building I worked in, that's the air drivers job. Shuttle around ground misloads. the safety committee union rat didn't do squat, not even misloads :D Just sat in the A/C office and blabbed all day. Sad!

About 3-4 years ago, I was sorting on the "sort aisle" - there were 2 guys unloading and me sorting. Because of a jam on a sort belt, I moved laterally to break a jam that was behind me.

Moving out of my work area by 3 feet, to unjar the boxes, A 50 pound tube rolled off the belt and fell onto my leg (overflow above all the other boxes from the other side) Of course, it was the enourmous flow that caused this to happen, yet management claimed it was my fault for being out of position! and this was posted into my record, and I eventually took on more problems and harrassment because I did report the injury at the time.

Saftey at UPS? Does not exist - until work is performed at a reasonable pace, and you put yourself in positions where you cannot possibly be injured for any reason. The above references a good example of doing too much (apparently, in UPS's eyes) to not distrupt the operations.
So the truth does come out. Nice Story.

mikestrek

So the truth does come out. Nice Story. Agree. :happy2:

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
In our center the fastest way on to the safety committee is to have an accident. As soon as your write up is handed down, it is "suggested" you should sign up. It's hilarious watching the poor guy who just smashed a miata reading the safety tips at the pcms for a month.