Safety committees!

aspenleaf

Why doesn't the safety committee work to bring the paid day down during a heat wave?

Why doesn't the safety committee do something about the sucky package car defrosters?

Why doesn't the safety committee make sure there is a fan in every car?

Why doesn't the safety committee do anything important????

They are too busy bugging everyone with safety quizzes!

rushfan

I don't want to give the details for fear of giving myself away. It had to do with changing the numbers that could not be changed. That's all I'm saying.

All
Good
Kids
Milk

Last edited:

25yrvet

When you are asked of any safety concerns at your ctr I would like to suggest this reply, "Excessive overtime is a safety issue".

30andout

Safety committe in our center is just for show, good numbers out weigh most issues. Even the number of hours for safety are more important than actual safety. Example, drivers are to load over 70# on floor near rear, pre-loaders are told they must load on shelf to keep PAS labels in order. Best way to get them down is a little push and jump out of the way.

aspenleaf

i think you might be better served by asking to either join your safety committee or go as a guest,air your concerns and if you dont get satisfactory results you could file grievances (for 9.5 in heat) or go to your district safety manager and be a pain in his butt.Just please dont whine and nothing else.:w00t:

mittam

Re: Sorry aspenleaf

safety begins and ends with you and me people, we are the only ones who can control what we do to stay safe. the company or safety committee or osha cannot tell just how hot we are or how we feel in this heat,they can't make us load faster or unload faster they can't make us climb stairs with a cart of boxes any faster, the hourly safety comm members can only do so much, all suggestions and replies or concerns they have pretty much fall on deaf ears, I used to be on the safety committee when it meant something,bosses didn't like it at 10 degrees and hard snow that I said it's your life that's only a box well folks that IS how we need to look at it "IT'S ONLY A BOX" NOT AS AN EXCUSE TO NOT DO OUR WORK WE GET PAID WELL TO DO BUT THIS IS ONE IN BROWN THAT KNOWS HIS LIMITATIONS MY LIFE AND WELL BEING FAR OUTWEIGHS WHETHER OR NOT A PARCEL OR TWO IS LEFT FOR TOMORROW..... TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES AND EACH OTHER IN BAD WORK CONDITIONS... DON'T LET BROWN TAKE CARE OF YOU IT MAY BE A TRIP TO THE HOSPITAL OR THE MORGUE

Braveheart

we had a newer driver who got so dehydrated his kidney shut down. TAKE YOUR LUNCH....EAT AND TAKE IN FLUIDS.....8 DRIVERS WHO SKIP THEIR LUNCH COSTS SOMEBODY A FULL TIME JOB......THEY DEDUCT AN HOUR A DAY WHICH IS $200 A WEEK GUYS....TAKE LUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Braveheart

Re: aspenleaf

File 9.5 grvs and request all the 8 hour days you can. These 2 things will cut your hours down and help prevent them from cutting routes so easily. I handed out 10 DOUBLE TIME CHECKS last week. It took months but the excess hours are down, for those with the stones to file, and the DBLE TIME CHECKS are cashing!!!!!!

Brownnblue

Geez, where do I begin?!?!?

We had an onslaught of DOK question test (all written) in the last few months. The reason was that we were going to be "tested in the near future" and that since our region had done poorly in the past they were looking to bring the score up. These tests are thrown in front of our face when the air is late or some other hold up. We can look at old copies of answer sheets if we want, therefore no real "education" takes place.

Interestingly, when the testers show up, they start asking the drivers the questions face to face. Let me ask all of you out there, how many of you took oral tests in high school? Oral tests are much more difficult to begin with, and it is obviously made harder when you don't have any kind of training at it either. Our union rep asked this question at the next days PCM, we got the standard "UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, we have to produce written tests for compliance reasons."

The training here is an absolute joke, like many of the previous posters said, it is simply a way to keep up with the OSHA standards. We do have a safety committee and I honestly believe that they are sincere in wanting the drivers to work safe, but there hands are tied by the company in what they can and can not do.

I have always wanted to have a day every so often that we could have some classroom training with a real teacher, not a supervisor who can not pass for a communicater, much less a teacher. Pay us for eight hours, go over not only safety but other aspects of the job, let us participate in questions and answers, and we might get something out of it. I find it rather embarrassing that my part time job (sports official-hey the verbal abuse is nothing compared to UPS) requires more classroom training in a year then I have received in 20 years at UPS.

helenofcalifornia

One of the most interesting things I have learned at a safety meeting was how many times a package driver gets into his truck yearly. something like 30,000-40,000 times a year on average. From the higher stepped trucks carrying a package or two, you can hit the ground with 400 pounds of force on your knees. No wonder knees hurt and are injured. If UPS cared, they would somehow find some sort of adaption for the step until we all have the newer trucks with the lower step. And don't start me on no power steering and my shoulders!!! I don't mean to be a whiner, but how serious is UPS when they know about these problems and the future (not immediate) consequences on the drivers.

abbear

I am a 52 year old 15 year veteran who last November had rotator cuff surgery to repair damage done by driving an old 5 cube on little streets in the hills with lots of tough turn arounds. I had joined the safety committee last year because I felt I had to make an effort to change things. What I discovered whas what I had suspected - the safety committees are really there for one reason - to comply with OSHA and save UPS from worse fines than they already get stuck with. But more importantly we as drivers need to realize that 1) people are cheaper than equipment and 2) safety is a line item in the budget of every center, division, region, and corporate. Until a safety issue affects the bottom line UPS will not address it and when they do address it they will start by trying to solve it by fixing people as opposed to equipment (see 1 above).

I no longer am on the safety committee and refuse to have anything to do with it due to the lack of real effort UPS puts into the program. I do, however, emphasize to new drivers that neither UPS or the union is going to keep them safe. The only person who keeps you safe is YOU.

As long as safety is constrained by being a budget item that management gets called on the carpet for exceeding our corporate safety plan will only protect management's ass.

p1000

Free at Last
Add to Over9five, Windshield or roof leaking, Rain coming in back door, We had 4 days in a row last week 115 heat index and they wonder why we had 8 call ins on Friday. I was 1.

mrbill

And after all that heat and a long week ,they just cant understand why they call in on friday!!!!!!!!!!! If they had all the routes in that would help

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
IF you dont like the way the safety committees are run, get involved.

They are supposed to be for a by the employees. Management is only to get involved to guide and assist. And if done properly, they can make a difference in the over all safety picture of the drivers. And if not, they can actually have the opposite effect on the drivers. Not sure why, but I have seen it too many times for it to just be a coincidence.

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I Used to be on the safety committee, I gave it up.
It was so brutal here, that on Friday when the heat wave broke and it was only 90, I thought it was a fall day.
I was so tired STILL, on Saturday that it was all I could do to get up to go fishing! (but I managed)
I think the committee is pretty much like the U.N., by the time they could get any action on the subject, the conflict will be over and the damage done.

So boys and girls, listen to your elders. Do the best you can do, its Ok to be hot, but when you start gettting dizzy, nauseous, headache, weak, or quit sweating, its too late for water, you are in trouble. Secure your vehicle, get in a cool place and get someone to get you to the ER for fluids.

The pkgs will be fine without you. And you will live another day, and in the end that is all that matters.

Overpaid Union Thug

Here the safety committee = brown nosers that tell on other drivers and part-timers for something then a few days later will be doing the same thing themselves. It's also strange that the guys on the committee have more 8 hour planned days and trucks that are loaded VERY well. They also never have to go help somone else that has 3 hours of work left at 4:30 when they are on their way back to the center (if they aren't there already). Some drivers are spoiled and it seems like its all the brown nosers on the safety committee. When they are actually asked to help someone (very rare) they stay out as late as they possibly can out of spite. It's supposed to be proving a point but it really just shows how spoiled they are. It's even worse if they have "extra work" loaded on them in the morning (usually it's stops that should be on their route anyway). They'll take 3 hours more on their route even though they were only given 30 extra stops. Again...proof that they are spoiled. Being on the safety committee is just another tool for them to brown nose. I don't know what its like everwhere else but here that is the safety committee in a nutshell.

T

Thebrowntruth

Here the safety committee = brown nosers that tell on other drivers and part-timers for something then a few days later will be doing the same thing themselves. It's also strange that the guys on the committee have more 8 hour planned days and trucks that are loaded VERY well. They also never have to go help somone else that has 3 hours of work left at 4:30 when they are on their way back to the center (if they aren't there already). Some drivers are spoiled and it seems like its all the brown nosers on the safety committee. When they are actually asked to help someone (very rare) they stay out as late as they possibly can out of spite. It's supposed to be proving a point but it really just shows how spoiled they are. It's even worse if they have "extra work" loaded on them in the morning (usually it's stops that should be on their route anyway). They'll take 3 hours more on their route even though they were only given 30 extra stops. Again...proof that they are spoiled. Being on the safety committee is just another tool for them to brown nose. I don't know what its like everwhere else but here that is the safety committee in a nutshell.

Big Arrow,
Sorry to hear thats how it is in your neck of the woods but nothing could be farther from the truth for us. Dont get me wrong, as you can see in my earlier posts i am not a fan of what the safety com's have been turned into but we have our highest seniority drivers that are still TRYING to help and right the floundering tightest ship in the business. They are getting the shaft like everyone else but still are trying. Havent decided if i admire them for not giving up or feel sorry for the losing battle they are fighting.