Safety Compliance.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
As the new Safety Co-Chair of 3343, I've started looking at things a little bit differently than I had as regular old Steve The Ups Guy (STUG). I'm sort of surprised at the things I take for granted while driving, and in my everyday life. I'm just like the next driver, you know, the one that wants to get done and off the clock as quickly as possible.

Day one for me started in the unload. At 30 years old, I was in good shape, but the pace absolutely wore me out. I did everything I could to impress the preload supe. I twisted, I turned, I yanked, I pulled, I did whatever I could to get those feeder's unloaded.

When I went air driving and finally to full time driver, I did the same. I drove like a maniac, jumped down the steps (if I even used the steps), ran up the driveway, through the bushes or over the grass, dropped the pkg/s and sprinted right back to the pkg car, as if I was in some sort of relay race.

Over time I developed some very bad habits. This was all done in the name of pleasing the "man". In April of 2000 I started having pain in my upper left leg. I can tell you now, the "man", was not very pleased. Turns out that all of that running, jumping and unsafe behavior, tore cartilage in my hip socket. Funny how upset the boss can get when you injure yourself, but is absolutely okay with you going out there and killing yourself, day in and day out.

After hip surgery and rehab, a total of 2 1/2 years, I returned to work just in time for peak of 2002. After enduring countless safety rides/observations and performance evaluations, I found myself under the radar again. I'm actually in better shape now than I was in my 20's. Had I just worked following the methods, would I still be telling this story?

Safety compliance, though boring as hell, is necessary.
It's necessary for a couple of reasons.
1: It cover UPS's, you know what.
2: It gives drivers/inside workers guidelines for safe behavior.

When used properly, these tools really do work. The main reason for UPS sitting it's employees down, and going over all of the safety compliance points, is so that it all becomes second nature. We need these rules, just like we need the instruction we get before we begin the job. I don't know if you realize how often you use the compliance in your everyday lives as a UPS'er and while off the clock. That's the point, being safe here, and being safe there.

I know that a lot of us, me included, hate sitting through those boring safety meetings. The meetings where they have you copy the answers from the master sheet? Or where you watch the video where the one guy is talking and he has a really silly sidekick? How about when they ask you the questions and they want the answers verbatim? That last point is the hardest for me. Why Verbatim? I want to answer in my own way. Then I was asked by someone on my route, if I knew where a store was that was off of my route. I instantly spouted off where it was, and what the address was. Now if I can do that, I can surely learn some safety stuff and spout it out verbatim.

Just think, the pilot of flight 1549 had to go through the same safety compliance we go through. I know, we're not pilots and hundreds of people are not in our hands, right? That's not necessarily so. There are hundreds and thousands of people on our roadways. How would you like to be responsible for one of them not going to be with there families tonight? Just as in this near disaster, something will occur, that will not be your fault, as well. Will you plug your ears, and go out, winging it daily? Or will you at least fill up on these rules and be prepared, afterall, it's not just your job that's hanging in the balance.

The people on that airliner were saved by safety compliance. The pilot and cockpit crew did what they had been instructed to do, as well as the flight attending crew. Don't let it be that it take a catastrophy to get you to remember the things you need to know. Learn them, live them and live another day.

Let's be safe out there, it really does matter.

Steve!

evilleace

Good post stug(lol) safety is very important and I think it should be followed I just don't like the way UPS presents it such as 2 days before ketter comes eveyone stop your bad habits that get the sups numbers right and work within the safety rules. For the safety rules to work they must be enforced all day everyday and the unrealistic numbers expected out of drivers and inside workers is the main reason everyone works in an unsafe manner. Good Post and you sound like you are going to be a good co-chair good luck with your new position hope you can make some changes!

-E

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Good post stug(lol) safety is very important and I think it should be followed I just don't like the way UPS presents it such as 2 days before ketter comes eveyone stop your bad habits that get the sups numbers right and work within the safety rules. For the safety rules to work they must be enforced all day everyday and the unrealistic numbers expected out of drivers and inside workers is the main reason everyone works in an unsafe manner. Good Post and you sound like you are going to be a good co-chair good luck with your new position hope you can make some changes!

-E

Hope I can make some changes, as well. The first change I'd like to make would be having a sort of tutor time, before start time, so we could all just finally learn this stuff. I also hate it when there's a pending audit and all of a sudden it's code red. Any and all suggestions are welcomed, btw, we all see things differently.

evilleace

I think a tutor time would be good also I also this week the preload took turns coming in early to watch safety videos and take the quizzes again basically almost everyone slept and the the sup came back 30 min. later and gave eveyone the answers I already knew the stuff but if people don't this time is just wasted the sups should take a little more time and make a little more effort and let us get it right without the help or at least try to I think this should be something you try to work on also sups who dont follow the safety guidelines but expect others to that should be another I hope you are getting help from your management team on safety Steve at our center they leave it up to our co-chair and if we fail they blame it all on him. Which is not the way it should be.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good post--try to avoid assumptions--not everyone works in an unsafe manner and can still make their numbers. It's called the methods.

-E

trickpony1

It's obvious the pilot and crew of flight 1549 don't work for our company or they would be at the union hall right now trying to get their jobs back.

....or at least writing a grievance for being charged with an "avoidable" because they should have seen, and avoided, that flock of Canadian geese.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
It's obvious the pilot and crew of flight 1549 don't work for our company or they would be at the union hall right now trying to get their jobs back.

....or at least writing a grievance for being charged with an "avoidable" because they should have seen, and avoided, that flock of Canadian geese.

Nah, these were Canadian geese, if they were any other kind, then they'd of been liable. Still and all, you have to give the pilot props for a great job he did. I don't really consider him a "hero", persay, just a great pilot, doing what he does best. Just imagine if safety compliance had not been drilled into his/their head/s on a regular basis, that, should be our focus.

P

pickup

Ain't that the truth! Hey guys , I've heard many on the road supervisors throw in something about "a jet engine falling from the sky" in conjunction with the smith (ooops ) , I meant the five seeing habits. With the jet landing the hudson river yesterday, I thought about it again. Has anyone else every heard about "the jet engine falling from the sky spiel"?

kingOFchester

From this "still wet behind the ears" guy, I want to thank you for posting this thread. The first part of your story really resonated thru me. Sounds like the guy I am trying to shake out of me. I want to work hard, but I want to be of some use to the family when I retire. My last few weeks of peak, I slowed it down. Tried to follow all methods, but even in my short time as a driver, my corner cutting had already made its way to habits. Again, thanks.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I could rant on this subject for hours but a think I'll spare you all the bother.

Feel free, that's why I started this thread. Feedback is always good, don't be surprised, both positive and negative help.

From this "still wet behind the ears" guy, I want to thank you for posting this thread. The first part of your story really resonated thru me. Sounds like the guy I am trying to shake out of me. I want to work hard, but I want to be of some use to the family when I retire. My last few weeks of peak, I slowed it down. Tried to follow all methods, but even in my short time as a driver, my corner cutting had already made its way to habits. Again, thanks.

I'm glad it makes sense to you. If my experience can make you think, that's good. I'm totally not trying to be Mr. Goody Goody, or butter up to MGMT, just giving us a way of staying alive, healthy and whole.

gwood

Nice post Steve. Amazing how a new position helps you see things in a new light. There's an on-road sup in the Columbia (MD) Center who designed a really nice pocket sized trifold of safety info. Not sure if she is just using it with her drivers or maybe you could get some for yours. Good luck!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Nice post Steve. Amazing how a new position helps you see things in a new light. There's an on-road sup in the Columbia (MD) Center who designed a really nice pocket sized trifold of safety info. Not sure if she is just using it with her drivers or maybe you could get some for yours. Good luck!

Good deal, find out for me, would ya. Safety is definitely a group effort.
sfl.jpg
sfl1.jpg

Nah, these were Canadian geese, if they were any other kind, then they'd of been liable. Still and all, you have to give the pilot props for a great job he did. I don't really consider him a "hero", persay, just a great pilot, doing what he does best. Just imagine if safety compliance had not been drilled into his/their head/s on a regular basis, that, should be our focus.
When in college one of my instructors was an Ex Commercial Pilot that just got tired of being a pilot. He said the worst part of being a pilot was, it was so boring. He told us that nothing ever happened, yet they prayed that nothing would ever happen.

spuman

I'll try to condense this as best I can. It seems that safety isn't a problem until it's a problem.By that I mean you run,speed,work off the clock,skip lunch, basically be unsafe performing your duties throughout the day.As long as you don't get hurt or have an accident everything is cool.

Ultimately I have to put most of the blame on the driver for which I may take some heat for.I can deal with that if some one wants to argue a point, I'm up to the challenge.

I believe there is a fine line between being a safe productive worker and an accident/
injury waiting to happen.More and more mgmt is pushing us all over that line and that might be coming from coperate I don't know.I'm on the down side of my career at ups
so I'll take it one day at a time and see what happens.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'll try to condense this as best I can. It seems that safety isn't a problem until it's a problem.By that I mean you run,speed,work off the clock,skip lunch, basically be unsafe performing your duties throughout the day.As long as you don't get hurt or have an accident everything is cool.

Ultimately I have to put most of the blame on the driver for which I may take some heat for.I can deal with that if some one wants to argue a point, I'm up to the challenge.

I believe there is a fine line between being a safe productive worker and an accident/
injury waiting to happen.More and more mgmt is pushing us all over that line and that might be coming from coperate I don't know.I'm on the down side of my career at ups
so I'll take it one day at a time and see what happens.

You're right, but that's why there is the compliance. Read the first post of this thread. I know it's long, but I tell it all there. Compliance gives you all the knowledge you need to be safe. Wisdom is what helps you put compliance into practice.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
At your next compliance meeting, ask your supervisor this question..."why will UPS pay thousands of dollars to have me take tests and perform audits, and yet refuse to retrofit my P-800 with a 3 point seatbelt that will save my life in a collision?"

You wont get an answer, because the brutal truth is this; UPS's so-called "commitment to safety" is a scam. Your safety means nothing to them, and never will. The only thing UPS cares about is bare minimum compliance with OSHA regs to avoid paying fines. An injured or dead employee can simply be replaced with one who makes $10 an hour less, will be in progression for two years, and has less vacations to pay for.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
At your next compliance meeting, ask your supervisor this question..."why will UPS pay thousands of dollars to have me take tests and perform audits, and yet refuse to retrofit my P-800 with a 3 point seatbelt that will save my life in a collision?"

You wont get an answer, because the brutal truth is this; UPS's so-called "commitment to safety" is a scam. Your safety means nothing to them, and never will. The only thing UPS cares about is bare minimum compliance with OSHA regs to avoid paying fines. An injured or dead employee can simply be replaced with one who makes $10 an hour less, will be in progression for two years, and has less vacations to pay for.

That's a good question, sober, and I have just the nerve to ask such a question, I'll let you know what is said.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

There you go with the 3 pt seatbelt again !!!!!

Damn you soberups !!!!!!!:wink2: