Safety Compliance.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You sound bitter sober. There is plenty of room for improvement in my district. Thankfully concern for safety rises above the level of
"fine avoidance" or saving the company $10 p/hr because a higher paid driver was killed or permanently injured.

I'm not bitter.

I just call BS when I see it.

I have been with the company of over 22 years, and in that time I have never seen one tangible accomplishment by the "safety committee."

The function of the committee is solely to comply with an OSHA mandate and avoid fines.

It is idiotic to think that a company that makes a business decision to intentionally delete 3-point belts in order to save money has any real concern for the safety of its employees.

UPS having a "safety committee" is akin to OJ Simpson managing a support group for victims of domestic violence. It is quite frankly an insult to my intelligence.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
When I started driving my Harley, I always had UPS safety jargon bouncing around in my head. Clearing intersections, anticipating red lights, being aware of your surroundings, road conditions, space cushions, became the norm for me on the bike. We all see on a daily basis other drivers not paying attention and almost causing incidents.

When you drive a bike, you feel more vulnerable to someone else on the road not being safe. Its been said a thousand times, no matter how great of a biker (driver) you think you are, it takes one person not paying attention to end your life.

While we are safer in a package car, thinking like a biker is a great piece of advice.

Thinking like a UPS driver, is what makes the difference. I do the same as you, 5 seeing habits and 10 point commentary, are constantly bouncing around my head as I drive. Try combining that with talking on a cell phone, reading a paper, applying makeup or listening to loud music. These are all the added obstacles we face out there.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've had many friends give me the " but motorcycles are dangerous" speech but I have to tell them that around where we live we have way more people drown than die in m/c accidents - but I'm not going to give up swimming either.

helenofcalifornia

BackinBrown, even if you wanted to buy your own 3-pt. seatbelt and install it in your truck, UPS would not let you. That would be admitting some kind of liability or fault on their part.

We had a driver with carpal tunnel who was willing to pay for power steering for his truck. Got all the diagrams, facts, figures, install instructions, UPS mechanic willing to do it. UPS said no, and he was off for several years with carpal tunnel. Easy fix, UPS would have to pay nothing, but by letting the power steering be installed would be admitting some form of responsibility, liability, etc.

How many of us would have better shoulders if we had power steering like most U.S. drivers? Better knees with a first step into the truck that is not 21 inches high? Power steering, automatic transmissions and the lower first step are the best things to happen at UPS since "beer and pizza" in the 80's. The handrail is pretty good too.

And everything Sober says about the seat belts are (is?) true. He may sound like a broken record to some, but he speaks the truth. If UPS really cared about safety, they would retrofit all trucks with the 3-pt. belt.

And that's all I have to say about that. :happy2:

helenofcalifornia

To all you newbies, UPS used to take it's workers out for beer and pizza after work for morale boosting, rewards, etc. in the 80's. Fun times, but of course way before Mothers Against Drunk Drivers was on the scene.

UPS had to stop it for ethical, legal and moral reasons, but I just want you who don't remember, it wasn't always about numbers and SPOHRS.

rod

Retired 22 years
To all you newbies, UPS used to take it's workers out for beer and pizza after work for morale boosting, rewards, etc. in the 80's. Fun times, but of course way before Mothers Against Drunk Drivers was on the scene.

UPS had to stop it for ethical, legal and moral reasons, but I just want you who don't remember, it wasn't always about numbers and SPOHRS.

Them MADD mothers took away all the fun. :soapbox:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
BackinBrown, even if you wanted to buy your own 3-pt. seatbelt and install it in your truck, UPS would not let you. That would be admitting some kind of liability or fault on their part.

We had a driver with carpal tunnel who was willing to pay for power steering for his truck. Got all the diagrams, facts, figures, install instructions, UPS mechanic willing to do it. UPS said no, and he was off for several years with carpal tunnel. Easy fix, UPS would have to pay nothing, but by letting the power steering be installed would be admitting some form of responsibility, liability, etc.

How many of us would have better shoulders if we had power steering like most U.S. drivers? Better knees with a first step into the truck that is not 21 inches high? Power steering, automatic transmissions and the lower first step are the best things to happen at UPS since "beer and pizza" in the 80's. The handrail is pretty good too.

And everything Sober says about the seat belts are (is?) true. He may sound like a broken record to some, but he speaks the truth. If UPS really cared about safety, they would retrofit all trucks with the 3-pt. belt.

And that's all I have to say about that. :happy2:
Very well spoken there, Helen.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Stran

Holy Toledo
Hey Steve nice to meet another Safety Co-Chair. Keep pushing till something happens...I'm the Co-chair in the South Toledo Center / Michigan District. Wish you all the best !!!:happy-very:

barnyard

KTM rider
I had an '02 Harley Fatboy. Over 700 lbs of mean machine. I'd rather fall off that 15lb schwinn than have that monster slide on me :happy-very:

I've been riding on road and off for over 25 years. I have never dumped a road bike and my off road crashes were all while racing.

I have found that the 5 seeing habits, ten point commentary and my racing experience make me dropping my road bike highly unlikely.

Possibly the most idiotic thing I have heard a motorcyclist say is, "I had to lay her down." Stupid, stupid, stupid.

TB

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hey Steve nice to meet another Safety Co-Chair. Keep pushing till something happens...I'm the Co-chair in the South Toledo Center / Michigan District. Wish you all the best !!!:happy-very:

Glad to meet you, keep in touch, we'll share safety issues.

I've been riding on road and off for over 25 years. I have never dumped a road bike and my off road crashes were all while racing.

I have found that the 5 seeing habits, ten point commentary and my racing experience make me dropping my road bike highly unlikely.

Possibly the most idiotic thing I have heard a motorcyclist say is, "I had to lay her down." Stupid, stupid, stupid.

TB

Very true, TB, very well said.

backinbrown

respect my authority
"Possibly the most idiotic thing I have heard a motorcyclist say is, "I had to lay her down." Stupid,"

Are you seriuos if i have to lay the bike down could it be possible that someone pulled out in front of me

or should i just say that i dont want to be stupid by laying bike down so i will just hit the car broadside and see how far i can fly

i am gladd you have never had to lay your bike down but dont call me stupid because i did.

barnyard

KTM rider
Possibly the most idiotic thing I have heard a motorcyclist say is, "I had to lay her down." Stupid,

Are you seriuos if i have to lay the bike down could it be possible that someone pulled out in front of me

or should i just say that i dont want to be stupid by laying bike down so i will just hit the car broadside and see how far i can fly

i am gladd you have never had to lay your bike down but dont call me stupid because i did.

I am 100% serious.

Which is safer: keeping the bike upright and using both brakes to maximum effect.
or
'laying it down' where you have NO control over where the bike goes, how fast it slows down or when it stops.

"Laying it down" is code for "I do not know how to ride."

TB

backinbrown

respect my authority
I am 100% serious.

Which is safer: keeping the bike upright and using both brakes to maximum effect.
or
'laying it down' where you have NO control over where the bike goes, how fast it slows down or when it stops.

"Laying it down" is code for "I do not know how to ride."

TB

Ok FONZIE

ever had someone pull out in front of you with no time to react

Probobly not but you are evil kenievel and you would just jump that vehicle

you have no clue

barnyard

KTM rider
Ok FONZIE

ever had someone pull out in front of you with no time to react

Probobly not but you are evil kenievel and you would just jump that vehicle

you have no clue

I have. It is impossible to ride for 25+ years and not have people pull out in front of you. I have had many close calls. Some of them were so close that I questioned whether I should continue riding.

I have had to do stoppies to avoid them. The other way that I have avoided them, is to stay on 2 wheels, brake hard and turn harder. The best way to avoid them, though is to anticipate that a car driver does not see me, flash my brights and hit the horn.

The skills I have developed in racing have saved my life many times.

If you ride and have not taken an MSF course, do it.

TB