Safety concern, digging through truck per Orion

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
At 200 degrees your tires would melt. It isn't 200 degrees in your package car. I dare you to get a thermometer and test it.

That's called hyperbole.

Going from 140 to 200 is a huge stretch. That's an over 40% difference. Plus I think you'd agree saying 60 degrees and 0 aren't in the same ball park.

Point taken.

That being said, 140 degrees is still an obscene/dangerous temperature to expect a human being to work in for long stretches of time.

porkwagon

When it's toasty outside, it's even toastier in the package compartment. I try to spend as little time as possible there. Been on ORION for a couple of years and run it pretty close without spending too much time in the back. I find the first stop before I leave the building. When looking for a pkg, line up stops until you find it. After a while when bulk comes off they are easier to find. My trip averages 200 or so stops with 300-350 pieces. I only have a few pick ups though.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The highest temp I've seen back there is 130. But the humidity bumps the "feel like temp" allot higher. Here in the south you have to look at both temps when checking the weather.
That is correct. 130 or 150 degrees with a heat index is definitely going to FEEL slightly hotter than that, which is all that really matters.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
130 is a certainty. 150 is very possible in some areas. A little higher is possible but I really doubt it would get above 160-170 max. No way it could get to 200.
My parents live in Lake Havasu Arizona.

Where it can hit 126 in the summer.

All the UPS drivers wear long sleeve shirts in the summer.

Prevents burns from accidentally touching your bare skin to any metal in the back of the package car.

watdaflock?

130 is a certainty. 150 is very possible in some areas. A little higher is possible but I really doubt it would get above 160-170 max. No way it could get to 200.

Only place it may possibly ever get near 170 would be in a desert on rare occasions, which they'd also have no humidity.

Found this-

"Mike Joyce, OOIDA legislative affairs director, as saying regarding truckers' ability to rest,"When it's 100 degrees outside, it's 120 degrees in their truck."

It can get worse than that....

Mike found a post on TheTruckersReport(dot)com about a hot truck, with two photographs of a digital thermometer taken inside a truck in Kingman, Arizona. The first photo shows the temperature of the air coming out of the vent with the A/C on full at 125.5°friend and the second with the A/C off and heater on full at 141.5°friend. Ouch!"

oldngray

nowhere special
My parents live in Lake Havasu Arizona.

Where it can hit 126 in the summer.

All the UPS drivers wear long sleeve shirts in the summer.

Prevents burns from accidentally touching your bare skin to any metal in the back of the package car.

Most people who live in the desert wear long but loose clothing.

watdaflock?

Most people who live in the desert wear long but loose clothing.
Many years ago I was dumb enough to move to Phoenix in July. imo- Arizona heat isn't that bad. Your sweat evaporates immediately. Humidity is the worse just because your sweat doesn't evaporate.

oldngray

nowhere special
Many years ago I was dumb enough to move to Phoenix in July. imo- Arizona heat isn't that bad. Your sweat evaporates immediately. Humidity is the worse just because your sweat doesn't evaporate.

Yeah, you do really appreciate any shade though. Out of direct sunlight makes a huge difference. And your sweat evaporates so fast you don't realize how much fluid you are losing so you have to constantly hydrate whether you feel like it or not. If you wait until you are sweated out its too late.

watdaflock?

Yeah, you do really appreciate any shade though. Out of direct sunlight makes a huge difference. And your sweat evaporates so fast you don't realize how much fluid you are losing so you have to constantly hydrate whether you feel like it or not. If you wait until you are sweated out its too late.
No doubt about it. Direct sun cooks ya. Learned quickly you can't cross asphalt parking lots while barefoot during the summer months in Phoenix....

Every day this past week it was 99 degrees or more with 60-70% humidity. Very uncomfortable to say the least, but I could tolerate it because there was at least a little bit of evaporative cooling going on. When it really gets bad is when we get the pop-up thunderstorms that pass through, wet everything down, and then the humidity goes through the roof for the rest of the afternoon. I start sweating profusely to the point that it's impossible to keep anything dry. 30 seconds after wiping my arms and hands dry so they're not slipping on the steering wheel, they're dripping again. My shirt becomes completely drenched and nothing dries out, even with a breeze. It becomes damn near intolerable. That's probably what happened to that woman driver in NC.

To confirm what others have posted here, it's 120-130 degrees in the cargo area of these package cars. I brought a thermometer with me to work years ago and when the temp outside hits 90, it's 120 in the back. At 95 outside, it's around 125 degrees inside, even with the bulkhead door open like we all used to get away with.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
ORION cant "make" you do anything.

If its not safe, I wont do it. ORION or no ORION, Telematics or no Telematics, whining supervisor or no whining supervisor.

The boss has an air-conditioned office, so if its 100 degrees outside there is no easier way to make money than to sit in there and listen to him whine about lack of compliance on some report. Beats the back of a hot truck all to hell.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Point taken.

That being said, 140 degrees is still an obscene/dangerous temperature to expect a human being to work in for long stretches of time.
That's why methods state we should only take 16 seconds for package selection and we all know the methods are realistic and fair.
th-20.jpeg