Safety concern, digging through truck per Orion

onestoptogo

We have a driver who was eligible to retire last month but has decided to work through Peak and one day in 2016 so that he can get all of his personal/sick/vacation time (roughly $9K in compensation). Our is a defined benefit pension plan so there will be no pension increase. The center manager loves it as he knows the route will be covered for Peak but we (drivers) are still shaking our heads over his decision to stay.

7/1/18 is my projected retirement date. 5/1/18 is my projected last work day.
In the Western Conference it is much wiser to leave on the last day of the month. You would start collecting your pension on the first day of the next month. If you work one day in a new month you cannot collect until the next month. We start collecting the pension even if you are on vacation as long as you do not return to work.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Opening both doors for every stop isn't very efficient at all. That still doesn't change the fact that you have a brick truck and ORION will have you searching and searching and stepping all over people's packages to find someone else's.
Then don't follow it. Try to organize the packages in a sensible order and if necessary break trace in order to deliver bulk stops and get your truck cleared out. Use common sense and area knowledge. Your management team will bitch about your lack of compliance, but then again they will bitch no matter what you do so there is no point in caring.

Overpaid Union Thug

With PAS/EDD and Orion there is no need to sort the load or move packages in to a selection area throughout the day.
In Rainbows and Unicorns Land maybe. But in real life we still move packages into the selection areas per the methods and per common sense. We've been on ORION long enough for someone to have told us the methods have changed. We still haven't been told.

Coalminer2005

Then don't follow it. Try to organize the packages in a sensible order and if necessary break trace in order to deliver bulk stops and get your truck cleared out. Use common sense and area knowledge. Your management team will bitch about your lack of compliance, but then again they will bitch no matter what you do so there is no point in caring.
At the end of the day all you have to do is say you're doing the best you can. Don't say you can't or won't. Just do the best you can safely. Standards and compliance are fancy words they came up with but know little about.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In Rainbows and Unicorns Land maybe. But in real life we still move packages into the selection areas per the methods and per common sense. We've been on ORION long enough for someone to have told us the methods have changed. We still haven't been told.

Have you been told that it is now OK to deliver small packages out of the driver's door?

box_beeyotch

Instead of being intelligent about the topic, you give dry nonsense and then turn around and wanna get frustrated and storm off like a sensitive woman. If you didn't intend on being intelligent and giving real input, you shouldn't have ever responded to my question in the first place.

You are my hero.

asphaltcowboy

Find your next five stops every five stops and break trace until you get bulk and irregs off so you can work safely. I was bricked out today as soon as I got the air off I didn't look at the board just my biggest boxes and bulk in the back. Once I got a walk path it was Orion all the way even though I didn't agree with it just had to get that % up so my miles wouldn't seem too bad as long as I hit that magic number.

onehandsolo

You are right in that he will not get his first pension check until the first of the month after he has cleared their books completely. This is an excellent point which I and I am willing to bet he didn't think of.

Another point that I just thought of is the impact his decision will have on his ex-wife and to whether she would legally have any say in the matter. Does an ex-spouse have any legal standing when it comes to their former spouses decision to continue working in part just to deny them their portion of his or her pension?

It's all in the separation or divorce agreement. 2% for each year you were married.

bham brown

Sorting the load and moving packages in to the selection area are no longer part of the methods.

You don't know your methods well.. Sorting no, but pulling pkgs up to the selection area is still in place. Unless you have Orion, then you have no room to move pkgs up because the front is full while you're working out of the 7000 section in the morning

Coalminer2005

We don't have Orion yet at our center. One of my biggest concerns is the quality of loads. Our loads look like someone used a shovel along with misloads. There is no accountability and the part time supervisor with over 30 years is so pilled up she can hardly speak. We can forget finding anything in our 7000 section when I can hardly find the first stop of my day.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
You will with ORION.. You will be instructed to do it to save miles
And that is when you refuse to do so in the name of safety. I had Three ORION rides due to being 95% on trace yet having excessive miles. Each ride I was instructed to do back into driveways and each ride I refused to do so in the name of safety. There are WAY too many kids,dogs,trash cans and very High Dollar homes in my neighborhoods and no way am I going to put myself in a position that an accident or property damage could occur. I was threatened on each ride,but I held my ground and drove thru the Cul De Sacs as I have been trained to do. Every morning after start I am told I exceeded my miles,and every morning i smile and say "yes boss, I'll try harder today"
you have to let that shyte go in one ear and out the other