Safety Concern : I saw a

NI1

Big spider in my truck. So I went to our safety committee and told them that I have a safety concern that I saw a spider that I can't even tell what kind.... They laughed at me and asked me if I have arachnophobia!

I said, I'm just letting them know because one bite can be bad... If we get so conscious about dog bite how is this different.

Anyway, that response just proved to me the hypocrisy about the subject.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Big spider in my truck. So I went to our safety committee and told them that I have a safety concern that I saw a spider that I can't even tell what kind.... They laughed at me and asked me if I have arachnophobia!

I said, I'm just letting them know because one bite can be bad... If we get so conscious about dog bite how is this different.

Well, it would be tough to prove the spider in your truck bit you, as opposed to the million others crawling around the world outside your truck. Just saying. Beat the spider to death with your powerade bottle of urine, isn't that why you guys (I'm not saying every driver does that) leave them in your truck? Lol.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's different because with a dog you can't. Cover it with a tissue. Place between thumb and index finger and squeeze to eliminate the safety hazard.

NI1

Not when you are driving on the freeway and you see it hanging. Plus dog bites is not as fatal as a spider bite

Buck Fifty

Not sure if true or not, but i heard that the grandaddy long leg has a venom that could kill you. Course they dont bite.

NI1

Not when you are driving on the freeway and you see it hanging. Plus dog bites is not as fatal as a spider bite

Ok I'll play. What actions do u feel ups needs to take to ensure your safety?

I have been here long enough to know that what ever concern I might have doesn't really matter. The fact of the matter is ups will not act unless something bad happens.

You can start from heat in the truck, overweights, hours work etc etc..... I do understand that it is up to me to do my best to be safe out there.

That being said, as I mentioned, the response I got is the one that gets me to shake my head but also I should be not surprised right?

OK I'll play too. How about instead of laughing and asking me if I have a phobia with spiders how about a little 'we will look into it' ... At least that response (even though it's a lie) will make me think that they are actually concerned about my safety. Am I wrong?

You can't tell me to be safe out there but continue to pound me with long hours and expect my body to just take it like it's nothing. A baseball player gets injured swinging the ball, and I am sure they are following methods of swinging

Anyway. Lunch done have a great day all

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Spiders, my butt! I stopped in front of a farm house along a dirt road, hopped out (yes, I was young then) with the package, and on the way back to the truck, I saw a copperhead coiled next to the door. Got in the driver's side that time.

kingOFchester

Being that there is not a spider emergency procedure or spider removal products available to anyone in the hub, I would imagine that a driver has the same ability and items available that a CHSP Committee member has access to. Be an adult and eradicate the offending arachnid.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Spiders, my butt! I stopped in front of a farm house along a dirt road, hopped out (yes, I was young then) with the package, and on the way back to the truck, I saw a copperhead coiled next to the door. Got in the driver's side that time.
Daaaaaaamn. That could've ended up being a really bad day.

ManInBrown

Certain spider bites can be deadly for sure. Friend of mine got bit on his hand a few years ago. Thought it was no big deal and when he woke up the next morning his hand had ballooned to double the size. Took a trip to the ER and they said had he not come in that morning he was hours away from losing his hand. Took months for the infection to go away. He was on a bunch of antibiotics for a long time.

Buck Fifty

I also heard that on average a person swallows 5 spiders a year while they are sleeping. I believe that average would be higher for people who sleep in the back of NI1's pkg car.

stink219

Tell them you think it's a Brown Recluse. (No pun intended)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have been here long enough to know that what ever concern I might have doesn't really matter. The fact of the matter is ups will not act unless something bad happens.

You can start from heat in the truck, overweights, hours work etc etc..... I do understand that it is up to me to do my best to be safe out there.

That being said, as I mentioned, the response I got is the one that gets me to shake my head but also I should be not surprised right?

OK I'll play too. How about instead of laughing and asking me if I have a phobia with spiders how about a little 'we will look into it' ... At least that response (even though it's a lie) will make me think that they are actually concerned about my safety. Am I wrong?

You can't tell me to be safe out there but continue to pound me with long hours and expect my body to just take it like it's nothing. A baseball player gets injured swinging the ball, and I am sure they are following methods of swinging

Anyway. Lunch done have a great day all
Totally understand....throw me in a pit of snakes, don't care Spiders just freeze me in fear. I would tell you why but its a childhood issue I have long dealt with....Ok Ill tell you. My bothers used to lock me in the cubby hole. It was just a drywall door, and it was closing the entrance to the attic. But I was little, they were mean, and to this day, honestly, I could not watch arachnofobia, I cant look at the spiders on this thread, and I got your back.
I am not scared of much. And I barely speak to the one brother who did it to me. Hes just mean, the other is dead.
We burn wood. I wont tell you how many nights sleep I lose when one of those logs comes in and a spider wakes up. Omg I wont sleep tonight.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We should keep all doors shut to prevent birds and other flying offenders out of the cab while the truck is motion. Especially during the summer months when these creatures are most active.