safety concern

OVERTHERAINBOW

can anyone tell me their experiences in the am sucking up the fumes when all the trucks are starting up?? I'm getting concerned....How's the ventilation where you work??:sick:

over9five

Staff member
I have a new start time where I am walking into the building minutes after the Package cars have left. God I hate that walk in! It literally burns your eyes, and I wonder how many "days of life" I lose every morning.

drewed

Shankman
I would figure not very many, in our building if the air quality drops a certain amount the overhead doors pop open to ventilate.

dc_sniper9130

Tailgunner
can anyone tell me their experiences in the am sucking up the fumes when all the trucks are starting up?? I'm getting concerned....How's the ventilation where you work??:sick:

Our hub is poorly ventilated. Thick fumes hang around for the better part of a half hour, and is still smellologically identifiable up to about an hour after they roll out. It's okay though, I wasn't using those brain cells anyways.

evilleace

In my building which is small the exhaust is terrible when the cars leave I work bulk slide at the end of the shift and there are two cars less than 25 feet away and then they sit for a second both trying to get out. It smells for 10-15 min. afterwards

Mike Hawk

I really love when they leave the shifter tractor in the building over the weekend so when he starts it up on monday we get to smell diesel exhaust untill he has enough air pressure to move out(like 2-3 min).

JonFrum

We have hanging signs reminding drivers not to let the engine idle in the building while pre-tripping.

As the result of a grievance several years ago, (or maybe it was a call to OSHA,) we also have signs next to the overhead doors that say, "Overhead Door Must Be Open Prior To Dispatch And Remain Open Until 15 Minutes After Last Car Leaves."

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The highest-seniority guy in our building gets to clock on 20 min. early and go around and open all of the roll-up doors to allow for proper ventilation.

We have also had numerous PCM's about not idling indoors, and we have staggered start times to improve traffic flow out of the building.

This is one area where management has actually done a pretty good job of addressing a safety issue. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that, once we have all left the building , they are still in the building breathing the air. Problems that affect you personally tend to get solved faster.

writer

Preoad Supervisor
Same for preload. I have complained about this since I was a loader. I would bet several will have health complications years down the line.
And we hear health and safety preached!!!!

And right before you leave they give you the PCM about not smoking and the damage it does to your lungs.:soapbox: