Safety folders

Big Babooba

I don't if this is true but we were told our responses were to be graded and posted for all to see in the center. I find this hard to believe, but a driver from another bldg claimed that this is true in his previous bldg. Urban myth?
We were told that they would be graded. Nothing was said about posting. They'll have fun grading mine. I write like a doctor.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Boston area. I'm not making this up. It's ridiculous, every am the office is filled with drivers filling these folders.

Interesting, I am 22.3 in the Boston area and getting creamed with safety stuff too. No book yet but paperwork: I wonder if they're putting it together?
The last one was on-area, on car and buildling haz-mat handling and procedure.

browniehound

Same here too with the safety books. Can you believe UPS pays people to fill these things out and pays people to bust the beach balls on people who don't???

The intention was, I think, to remind people of safety before they go on road, which would be fine. Problen is, so much crap is going on in the AM that its set aside by hourlies and managers. Then we get a message from the OMS that the safety book needs to updated. Everyone ends up just doing it all at once in the middle of the month. I thought I graduated high school in 1991. I guess not, lol!

Just think about that for a second. Someone in management is being paid to correct safety books and then send messages to the one who didn't fill them out. How long does this take? An hour?

Think about it for a second. We are wasting time and resources on something that serves no real purpose. Safety books? Come on! Its almost the stupidest thing the district safety has come up with. Almost...

over9five

Staff member
The intention was, I think, to remind people of safety before they go on road, which would be fine.

That's what they told us. For someone with a lot of air like me however, all it does it add a whole lot of stress in the morning.

I would call that UNSAFE.

I hate to beat a dead horse but, I have seen the manager's highlighted list of drivers who fail to comply to the safety folder. It used to be a weekly anouncement, not it's a daily one.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Only thing we filled out yesterday was the 2011 United Way forms. Those are easy though. Just check the box that says "I choose not to give at this time" and sign your name.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Well Im up here in Canada and stuff does not get up here until 3=5 years after you guys have it......we have had that new Diad for just over a year now so take thats for what it worth

Our center is on the list to be a guinea pig for DIAD 5 which I am told by the center manager is supposed to be in beta testing sometime in the next 6 months.

browniehound

'Safety Folders' or 'Safety Books'! A blatant waste of time and resources with no apparent affect on the bottom line.

Safety books? For the love of God!

The point of them is to get the UPS worker to think about safety before he starts his shift. However, it never works that way and days go by without the book being filled. Next, we get a message to update our safety books. Again, the time and resources spent on these stupid safety books.

If you want another .25 SPORH out of me after my ride, I cool with that. I'm not cool with that when you pay someone to correct saftey books like a school teacher and then send a message to each driver who hasn't asnwered "The Daily Question"

I'm serious here. As UPS drivers we are the most efficient drivers or workers in the entire world. Even the worst of us are more efficent than the best Fed-Ex drivers or any other workers.

So you come out and 'crack the whip' on us for 3 days, while at the same time you are paying someone to correct 65 safety books everyday that nobody cares about. Then, he is paid to send 30 messages to the drivers that have not updated their books. What is the cost for this? It must take at least an hour to correct each book every day. What a waste of time! No?

Sometimes I wonder how we make money and WE do make money in spite of ourselves. The 3-day OJS ride is just one example of money down the drain. Its just for the simple fact that I have NEVER witnessed a driver fired for performance. So the Sup. goes out there for 3 days at the cost of about $1000 and locks the driver into a number.

The Sup. is up his but all 3 days and no talking with the customers are allowed. Also, no cell phone calls are allowed. Problem is, this is not reality. We HAVE to talk to our customers (saled leads? yeah, not if you're OJSing me you hypocrite) and we have to answer our cell phones because its YOU that call me 3 times/day. All this waste to prove a number you can't enforce.

Once you jump off car the driver is going to work at ease again and go back to his old routine. UPS can't even fire the worst of the worst so why do they waste their time and resources? I don't get it. If UPS can spend money to have another person on the truck 3 days/week then they can surely lighten my stop count. Why not?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a driver here who was involved in a Tier 3 accident Thursday which could have been avoided had she simply followed the "Count 1..2..3" part of the 10 point driver commentary. She was waiting behind another car to make a right hand turn. The car started up but had to stop when a vehicle on the main road switched lanes at the last moment. Our driver either did not see the car stop or did not anticipate that he would stop and started to make the turn striking the vehicle in the rear. There was no mention during the PCM of her being on her cell or being otherwise distracted. The occupants of the car initially stated that they were OK but then decided they needed to be transported to the hospital (perhaps thoughts of $$$ changed their mind). The car sustained major damage. Our driver was physically OK and the PC sustained minor damage but this is her 2nd Tier 3, she is not a favorite of both mgt and the union and there is talk that she may be looking for a new job soon.

I know that the safety drivel gets old but this is a prime example of their importance. This driver would be getting ready to enjoy the weekend rather than worrying if she will have her job come Monday. All she had to do was maintain a cushion and then count before proceeding.

NHDRVR

'Safety Folders' or 'Safety Books'! A blatant waste of time and resources with no apparent affect on the bottom line.

Safety books? For the love of God!

The point of them is to get the UPS worker to think about safety before he starts his shift. However, it never works that way and days go by without the book being filled. Next, we get a message to update our safety books. Again, the time and resources spent on these stupid safety books.

If you want another .25 SPORH out of me after my ride, I cool with that. I'm not cool with that when you pay someone to correct saftey books like a school teacher and then send a message to each driver who hasn't asnwered "The Daily Question"

I'm serious here. As UPS drivers we are the most efficient drivers or workers in the entire world. Even the worst of us are more efficent than the best Fed-Ex drivers or any other workers.

So you come out and 'crack the whip' on us for 3 days, while at the same time you are paying someone to correct 65 safety books everyday that nobody cares about. Then, he is paid to send 30 messages to the drivers that have not updated their books. What is the cost for this? It must take at least an hour to correct each book every day. What a waste of time! No?

Sometimes I wonder how we make money and WE do make money in spite of ourselves. The 3-day OJS ride is just one example of money down the drain. Its just for the simple fact that I have NEVER witnessed a driver fired for performance. So the Sup. goes out there for 3 days at the cost of about $1000 and locks the driver into a number.

The Sup. is up his but all 3 days and no talking with the customers are allowed. Also, no cell phone calls are allowed. Problem is, this is not reality. We HAVE to talk to our customers (saled leads? yeah, not if you're OJSing me you hypocrite) and we have to answer our cell phones because its YOU that call me 3 times/day. All this waste to prove a number you can't enforce.

Once you jump off car the driver is going to work at ease again and go back to his old routine. UPS can't even fire the worst of the worst so why do they waste their time and resources? I don't get it. If UPS can spend money to have another person on the truck 3 days/week then they can surely lighten my stop count. Why not?

Your last point was an issue up here this week. We have been, like every other center I suppose, cutting routes left and right and they cut a Salem run which usually helped with the overflow to the Malls. The bright idea was to give the guy next to me a p1000 instead of his normal p7 and have him take Forever 21 and another stop to help out. This move ended up altering 4 different runs in the following way. The driver in the p1000 now starts his 'real' route an hour late so his air went to 3 other guys ( I was one of them). Being in a 1000 he was now unable to do his lake roads in the middle of his route so another driver had to take that split. Since he was going to be late for his pickup's they get another guy involved. 2 different loops are now trying to help each other out to cover pickups and the guy in the 1000 ends up with a 11 hour day and needed to be bailed out by a completely different driver.

Yeah, the OT is fine although I don't want it. And I have always said if you want to make more money then do what your told since it takes longer when you do it 'their' way but it is so frustrating when you see a plan unraveled and you haven't left the center yet.

Also, to be fair, I know the mgmt. team is given a magic # as far as runs are concerned and they have to follow it. It would be so refreshing though to see one with some stones that would actually do what was right instead of what they were told.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We have a driver here who was involved in a Tier 3 accident Thursday which could have been avoided had she simply followed the "Count 1..2..3" part of the 10 point driver commentary. She was waiting behind another car to make a right hand turn. The car started up but had to stop when a vehicle on the main road switched lanes at the last moment. Our driver either did not see the car stop or did not anticipate that he would stop and started to make the turn striking the vehicle in the rear. There was no mention during the PCM of her being on her cell or being otherwise distracted. The occupants of the car initially stated that they were OK but then decided they needed to be transported to the hospital (perhaps thoughts of $$$ changed their mind). The car sustained major damage. Our driver was physically OK and the PC sustained minor damage but this is her 2nd Tier 3, she is not a favorite of both mgt and the union and there is talk that she may be looking for a new job soon.

I know that the safety drivel gets old but this is a prime example of their importance. This driver would be getting ready to enjoy the weekend rather than worrying if she will have her job come Monday. All she had to do was maintain a cushion and then count before proceeding.

You're 100% right. Most drivers benefit from the 10 and 5 seeing habits whether they will admit it or not.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I got a paper cut filling mine out, had to then fill out an injury report, then had to do safety viedos and online assements. The online stuff hurt my eyes so I had to go to the eye doctor to get these eye drops. Then to top it all they lost my paper work that I cut my finger on and I had to do it all over again. lol.

This is more stuff UPS is doing to prove to outside people OSHA that we care about safety and that if you get hurt it is because you did not follow the rules.

Follow what they say, do it like they telll you to work, so when they ORO you they wont find anything on you.

Much of what the HABITS tell you do make you better if you follow them, They will help people avoid acciedents and injury's UPS will never get rid of all this but we have as a company greatly improved in the last years.

Keep you head up and be safe.

over9five

Staff member
..... It would be so refreshing though to see one with some stones that would actually do what was right instead of what they were told.

Won't happen. He has to do what the boss says just like everyone else or he'll be looking for a new job.

paidover95

Here in western mass we have those safty folders.were supposed to fill them out daily.At the pcm we were told we had to have them filled out and up to date.Someone in NORWOOD has brainstormed again.Like capt.kirk said"its more for outside people like osha".I fill it out at the end of the day when i come off the road so im making more when i do it LOL

NHDRVR

Won't happen. He has to do what the boss says just like everyone else or he'll be looking for a new job.

That's why it would be refreshing. I have heard ad nauseam from managers how they wish that a run was in but not one has ever put one in? Sounds odd to me...

JustTired

free at last.......
Being retired for a few years now, I am unfamiliar with "safety folders" or "safety books".

I will say that in my twenty five years I never had a 3 day ride. Heck...I hadn't had an over 3 hr. ride in many years.

With all of the programs they have come out with in the past decade, I guess I should wonder how I was able to perform the job for so long...let alone safely.

Just one question about the safety book..........Do they supply the crayons?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just wanted to give a quick update on the driver in my center involved in the Tier 3 accident. She got her job back (sort of). She will be filling a long-vacant Art. 22 position on the preload, doing re-wraps, ADC's, and other AM clerk duties. This positon has been open since the person who held this position retired quite some time ago (at least 2-3 years) and the PT sups have been doing most of the work which has resulted in quite a few grievances being filed. I have a feeling that a deal was struck in that the grievances were tossed if UPS agreed to bring the driver back in that position. Rumor has it that this is about an $8/hr pay cut.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just wanted to give a quick update on the driver in my center involved in the Tier 3 accident. She got her job back (sort of). She will be filling a long-vacant Art. 22 position on the preload, doing re-wraps, ADC's, and other AM clerk duties. This positon has been open since the person who held this position retired quite some time ago (at least 2-3 years) and the PT sups have been doing most of the work which has resulted in quite a few grievances being filed. I have a feeling that a deal was struck in that the grievances were tossed if UPS agreed to bring the driver back in that position. Rumor has it that this is about an $8/hr pay cut.

Not nearly that type of paycut unless you count OT.