Safety Is Not Your Responsibility

Integrity

Binge Poster
Anyone see these signs in your facility?

The ones I have seen look a little like this except they are red with white lettering and they are without the cross.

Unless this sign is posted in an area exclusive to management employees then this sign should not be posted.

Why? You might ask.

My point of debate is this; Safety is the responsibility of the employer. This means that the management employees of a company are responsible for safety.

Although hourly employees can and should participate in the safety culture of a company this does not make them responsible for it.

The responsibility for this falls solely on the employer.

How to you feel about this?

Sincerely,
I

OldManAllowance

So let me get this right...you jump behind a trailer backing up to a dock..and that's my fault? Even though you were trained to stay inside the building and follow the yard control procedures?

packageguy

I am with this company 20 years, Safety is on me, I want to see my wife and kids, I don't want to sit home getting better. I want to work and make money. There are no posters in building that look like that. I like playing with my kids and doing things with them.

OldManAllowance

It is cocktail hour here...but really, regardless of our dispatch and /or responsibilities, hourly or management, we have responsibility to ourselves and family first. This blaming other people for our problems is wrong. I see this far too often in today's society. We are a nation of blaming. Sure..why don't we all just agree with Integrity's post..not my fault. We need to help ourselves first. That's all I'm saying...no disrespect to Integrity, we all have been there.

Integrity

Binge Poster
So let me get this right...you jump behind a trailer backing up to a dock..and that's my fault? Even though you were trained to stay inside the building and follow the yard control procedures?
OldManAllowance,

Is this what I am reading? Please clarify.

Not me but, one of your employees fully trained in yard safty control procedures violates these procedures and jumps behind a trailer backing up to a dock.

You are asking me if you are at fault in this example? (I hope it is a fictitional example)

No, you are not at fault, but you are responsible.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I am with this company 20 years, Safety is on me, I want to see my wife and kids, I don't want to sit home getting better. I want to work and make money. There are no posters in building that look like that. I like playing with my kids and doing things with them.
littleboybrown,

What do you mean safety is on you?

It would be helpful to me if you elaborate.

By the way I am referring to a sign, not a poster.

Sincerely,
I

OldManAllowance,

Is this what I am reading? Please clarify.

Not me but, one of your employees fully trained in yard safty control procedures violates these procedures and jumps behind a trailer backing up to a dock.

You are asking me if you are at fault in this example? (I hope it is a fictitional example)

No, you are not at fault, but you are responsible.

Sincerely,
I

Your years of feeder experience allow you to make this conclusion? If the bay is visually swept before backing and procedures are followed by the driver then they are neither at fault or responsible.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Your years of feeder experience allow you to make this conclusion? If the bay is visually swept before backing and procedures are followed by the driver then they are neither at fault or responsible.
cachsux,

Who is the they in your post referring?

Sincerely,
I

cachsux,

Who is the they in your post referring?

Sincerely,
I

They , the driver. If I clear a bay as I have for near 200k safe backs now in my career and someone decides to jump down behind my trailer then it is either Darwinism at work or it's a suicide. Either way I'm not at fault or responsible.

DorkHead

Anyone see these signs in your facility?

The ones I have seen look a little like this except they are red with white lettering and they are without the cross.

Unless this sign is posted in an area exclusive to management employees then this sign should not be posted.

Why? You might ask.

My point of debate is this; Safety is the responsibility of the employer. This means that the management employees of a company are responsible for safety.

Although hourly employees can and should participate in the safety culture of a company this does not make them responsible for it.

The responsibility for this falls solely on the employer.

How to you feel about this?

Sincerely,
I

I see your point. The sign should be corrected to "everyone`s" responsibility.

Integrity

Binge Poster
They , the driver. If I clear a bay as I have for near 200k safe backs now in my career and someone decides to jump down behind my trailer then it is either Darwinism at work or it's a suicide. Either way I'm not at fault or responsible.
cachsux,

The thread topic is about management responsibility for safety.

Sincerely,
I

DorkHead

DorkHead,

Not true.

If everyone is responsible then no one is truly responsible.

Employers are responsible.

Sincerely,
I

Yes I see what you are saying. Did you ever think that they are using the word "your" to mean collectively as in management and hourly?????
That is why using "everyone" would be a better fit.

packageguy

littleboybrown,

What do you mean safety is on you?

It would be helpful to me if you elaborate.

By the way I am referring to a sign, not a poster.

Sincerely,
I

What I mean is UPS trains me, Then it's on me, I want to be safe, I don't want to get hurt. Who wakes up in the morning saying I'm getting hurt today. not happening.....

cachsux,

The thread topic is about management responsibility for safety.

Sincerely,
I

I get that. But I'm a believer in personal responsibility. We already are awash in idiotic rules cooked up by management as band-aid fixes to problems that can be traced back to someone doing something they shouldn't have. How child proof are we going to make it until we reach the point at which we cannot function?

DorkHead

Yes, but the sign does not say safety in the workplace. It says just safety, which is a general term meaning safety there and on the road.