Safety Is Not Your Responsibility

Integrity

Binge Poster
I get that. But I'm a believer in personal responsibility. What do you mean by personal responsibility within the work place?

We already are awash in idiotic rules cooked up by management as band-aid fixes to problems that can be traced back to someone doing something they shouldn't have.Please provide an example or 2 of what you are referring.

How child proof are we going to make it until we reach the point at which we cannot function? Not sure I follow this statement please explain.
Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
What I mean is UPS trains me, Then it's on me, I want to be safe, I don't want to get hurt. Who wakes up in the morning saying I'm getting hurt today. not happening.....
littleboybrown,

Employers are responsible for providing safety training.

Employees are responsible to work as trained by their employer.

Employers are responsible to see that employees work as they are trained.

How is this on you?

Please explain.

Sincerely,
I

Buck Fifty

The sign makes since to me. Correct me if I'm wrong , but the sign is referring to whoever reads it (management, employees, general public alike).Its not pointing anybody out in particular. Now if they hung one in my package car, I might feel uneasy about it and agree, but this is not the case. I would gladly file a discrimination grievance for any illiterate people who may be offended though.

Wut

littleboybrown,

Employers are responsible for providing safety training.

Employees are responsible to work as trained by their employer.

Employers are responsible to see that employees work as they are trained.

.... You're contradicting yourself now. If safety isn't the employees responsibility, then you would have to leave the bold part out. But you didn't.

I feel as though you are saying that if I am out of sight of a manager and I decide to pick up a 90 pound box by myself and hurt myself that it's not my fault because no one was around to tell me not to do it. Even though I have been trained not to lift over 70 pounds alone, I decided to do it anyway, and can put all the blame on the fact that I was not being micro-managed.

Integrity

Binge Poster
.... You're contradicting yourself now. If safety isn't the employees responsibility, then you would have to leave the bold part out. But you didn't.

I feel as though you are saying that if I am out of sight of a manager and I decide to pick up a 90 pound box by myself and hurt myself that it's not my fault because no one was around to tell me not to do it. Even though I have been trained not to lift over 70 pounds alone, I decided to do it anyway, and can put all the blame on the fact that I was not being micro-managed.
Wut,

I don't see the contradiction.

Employees are responsible for doing what they are told/trained.

Employees don't train themselves or set the parameters for training. Employers do.

Employers are responsible for enforcing all safety training at all times. Productivity must come after safety.

Employers are responsible to see that employees who refuse to do what they are told/trained either change or leave the company.

Sincerely,
I

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
DorkHead,

Yes.

That is not accurate.

Employers are responsible for the safety of the workplace.

Sincerely,
I

I,

A good number of us define our workplace as "all over the place".
There is no way UPS can ensure my safety while I drive my package car route and deliver on properties other than UPS property.
That sign is in no way referring to just the building in question.
I keep myself safe.
You are way over reaching.

Plagiaristically sarcastic,
Bubble

Integrity

Binge Poster
I,

A good number of us define our workplace as "all over the place".
There is no way UPS can ensure my safety while I drive my package car route and deliver on properties other than UPS property.
That sign is in no way referring to just the building in question.
I keep myself safe.
You are way over reaching.

Plagiaristically sarcastic,
Bubble
Bubblehead,

How you define your workplace I quess is your perogative.

Your employer is responsible for the safety of the workplace.

The company cannot ensure your safety anymore than a parent can ensure the safety of a child. This does not change who is responsible.

How do you keep yourself safe?

Sincerely,
I

moreluck

golden ticket member
Bubblehead,

How you define your workplace I quess is your perogative.

Your employer is responsible for the safety of the workplace.

The company cannot ensure your safety anymore than a parent can ensure the safety of a child. This does not change who is responsible.

How do you keep yourself safe?

Sincerely,
I
I actually thought you were going to make it through a post without a question......then I saw the last line!!

I, even if you're right, the company will never admit it. This sign has more to do with assignment of blame than anything. If we get hurt, the company find a way to blame us. If we have an accident, the company will find a way to blame us. No matter what happens, everything comes back on the hourlies. No matter what the company failed to do, we failed to do something that will result in us being blamed.

SmithBarney

Safety meaning a safe workplace is the employers responsibility, that means:
no jagged metal things to hurt the workers, no open pits of lava etc... they provide a safe work environment.

But it also means it is the employers responsibility to train employees to also be safe in areas where danger is inherent (behind moving trucks as cited earlier)

We have all been trained to be safe, of course common sense prevails, if you pour hot water on your hand out of the
water cooler(some have heat) this is your fault, not the fault of the company for having hot water available.

I, you really stretch this one.
perhaps the sign should read "being safe is your responsibility" "this safe workplace is provided by UPS"

CAFAL

I. I also believe saftey is the responsibility of the employer. Responsibility and accountability are two different things though. Nomatter how much training we receive,we are all accountable for our actions and reactions. There is a fine line recognizing the"Integrity "in this thread.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Mom says her husband " You make sure you watch him." before sending them off for a day at the shore.

A father takes his son to the beach.

The father fully trains his son on safe ocean swimming.

The boy recites back the 10 point commentary of safe ocean swimming.

The swim begins.

The father observes from his beach chair.

The boy violates each and every point on the 10 point commentary in full view of the father.

The father does nothing.

The boy runs into trouble and drowns.

Is not the father the one responsible for this boys drowning even though it is the boys own fault for not swimming safe?

Just so you know, if mom was there to audit dad he would done things much differently.

The boy would actually still be alive if it was on the day of an audit.

Sincerely,
I