Safety Last

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The push for added productivity has basically killed-off safety at FedEx Express. Fred is going to get his beloved 10%, even if he has to kill a few couriers and perhaps some of the general public to do it. Sorry, but you can't continue to cut hours and expect higher SPH without consequences. Safety is just a word that has lost it's meaning at FedEx, and just using it over and over as management does, is not safety. I love the morning PPad message about safety, which is just as meaningless. It's a CYA for FedEx, because they do not practice what they preach.

My suggestion is to go to your local media when there is an accident at your station that is due to being forced to do more in less time. Be anonymous, but defintely let them know why there is a problem, and that it's getting worse. And, most importantly, you need to make sure that the general public is in danger, which they are.

Within a month, I sadly predict that there will be a major accident that is a tipping-point at Express. Fred only cares about his wallet. Think about yourself, your family, and the lives of others...not Smith.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The push for added productivity has basically killed-off safety at FedEx Express.

The courier chooses how safe he'll be when he turns the key and steps on the accelerator. It's in his hands.

My suggestion is to go to your local media when there is an accident at your station that is due to being forced to do more in less time.

How should they answer when the news people ask, "Why would you be so stupid as to put your safety and that of others in jeopardy for the sake of a package?"

CharleyHustle

"Why would you be so stupid as to put your safety and that of others in jeopardy for the sake of a package?"

True, but the lawyer of the parents whose kid is dead is going to ask the truck owner why you put someone on the road in one of your vehicles that ignored safety for the sake of a package?

thedownhillEXPRESS

And I'm sure a station full of couriers would love to be subpoenaed to talk about the tremendous uptick in threats against their jobs all since FedEx announced the double express profits promise to the shareholders thats in tens of thousands of archived and accessible news articles.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The courier chooses how safe he'll be when he turns the key and steps on the accelerator. It's in his hands.

How should they answer when the news people ask, "Why would you be so stupid as to put your safety and that of others in jeopardy for the sake of a package?"

Spoken like a true corporate surrogate, and total BS. FedEx controls the work environment, and when you ask the impossible, people cut corners in safety. Especially when your job is threatened.

59 Dano

And I'm sure a station full of couriers would love to be subpoenaed to talk about the tremendous uptick in threats against their jobs all since FedEx announced the double express profits promise to the shareholders thats in tens of thousands of archived and accessible news articles.

Who was behind the wheel?

If your coworkers are so stupid that they'd compromise common sense safety to boost their numbers, they are idiots and don't belong on the road. If you're willing to make excuses for them, you don't deserve the job.

59 Dano

Spoken like a true corporate surrogate, and total BS. FedEx controls the work environment, and when you ask the impossible, people cut corners in safety. Especially when your job is threatened.

Say what you will. You are in charge of what you do behind the wheel.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Say what you will. You are in charge of what you do behind the wheel.

Yes, but if FedEx is pushing employees beyond what is safe, they are liable for creating unsafe working conditions. Run it by FedEx Legal and get back to to me. Still waiting for your proof that MT3 doesn't live in Chicago.

LTFedExer

YStill waiting for your proof that MT3 doesn't live in Chicago.
Since you keep mentioning he does....where is your proof?

As for this topic....I've never heard of of anyone getting an OLCC, warning letter or fired over having lates. If your manager tells you take more stops....make sure you hit your SPH. If you still have lates....who cares? As couriers, we are trained to make service.....that's our job. But, when you're asked to do something that's not possible, its in our nature to try and make it possible. I don't cut corners, even if it means I'll have lates.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Since you keep mentioning he does....where is your proof?

As for this topic....I've never heard of of anyone getting an OLCC, warning letter or fired over having lates. If your manager tells you take more stops....make sure you hit your SPH. If you still have lates....who cares? As couriers, we are trained to make service.....that's our job. But, when you're asked to do something that's not possible, its in our nature to try and make it possible. I don't cut corners, even if it means I'll have lates.

MT 3 has homes in Germantown, TN, and in the Chicago area....public record. R1a did the research and located Mr. Thornton in two exclusive residential areas. Anecdotal evidence from a courier in the area cretainly makes it sound as though MT3 was commuting to MEM via executive jet.

On the OLCC's, where have you been? Couriers who don't make their numbers get performance reminders all the time. If you don't want another OLCC, you speed or cut corners...simple as that. I'm like you in that I don't cut corners, and will not compromise safety, but the new and not-so-great couriers really struggle with what they're going to do to make SPH.

CJinx

MT 3 has homes in Germantown, TN, and in the Chicago area....public record. R1a did the research and located Mr. Thornton in two exclusive residential areas. Anecdotal evidence from a courier in the area cretainly makes it sound as though MT3 was commuting to MEM via executive jet.
The fact that he owns multiple homes in several cities and innuendo from the word some random courier means that this is the case? If you're certain about this, I suggest you get in touch with the folks responsible for reducing the company's jet engine emissions and let them know that this would be a great way to do just that...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The fact that he owns multiple homes in several cities and innuendo from the word some random courier means that this is the case? If you're certain about this, I suggest you get in touch with the folks responsible for reducing the company's jet engine emissions and let them know that this would be a great way to do just that...

The circumstantial evidence is strong, but I do not have absolute proof. As mentioned, this would be a big black eye for the FedEx "green" mission.

vantexan

Is there such an office in charge of that? I doubt the top brass are going to give up their perks. Nancy Pelosi insisted as Speaker of the House to have her own jet, which she used to fly family and friends everywhere. The Obama's use Air Force One for vacations, and often arrive in separate gov't jets. They've even flown the family dog alone on a gov't jet. So I doubt MT3 is going to start flying on commercial jetliners anytime soon.

Goldilocks

Safety? OMG, I just ran a heavy DRA route today and want to go home and colapse. 40 stops on a Saturday, the areas are huge. Had to drive like a maniac to make it. Drove with my map and manifest in my hand because I have no area knowledge in that town.... to top it off I almost hit a jogger, driving 40 in a 35 resi area. Just made my rtb goal on the nose. This is crazy....Another thing a young girl chewed me out because I rang the dock bell too long and hurt her ears. UHHHH

Get Ready its coming and not pretty....There will be a fatality because of these goals and DRA.....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Safety? OMG, I just ran a heavy DRA route today and want to go home and colapse. 40 stops on a Saturday, the areas are huge. Had to drive like a maniac to make it. Drove with my map and manifest in my hand because I have no area knowledge in that town.... to top it off I almost hit a jogger, driving 40 in a 35 resi area. Just made my rtb goal on the nose. This is crazy....Another thing a young girl chewed me out because I rang the dock bell too long and hurt her ears. UHHHH

Work harder and faster for less money, which is the plan. The map in the hand is especially safe. If you had hit the jogger, you would have immediately been thrown under the bus. There is no safety any more.

texan

Deep breath..... let it out and say the names of those that depend on you as you let it out.
Quieto tranquilo calma

Shalom
Texan

whenIgetthere

Work harder and faster for less money, which is the plan. The map in the hand is especially safe. If you had hit the jogger, you would have immediately been thrown under the bus. There is no safety any more.

I had one guy yelling at me today because he was told by the shipper that his SDR P1 would be there by 1030! Not quite, first I do my noon P1's, then my 1330 P1's and then my 1630 P1's on Saturday. His was a 1630 commit, I got there at 1500! He was still yelling after I suggested he call the 800 number, then drover away!