Safety meetings

ITwannabe

So I don't know if other district's have been doing this or not but in ours they have been having any driver with 4 years or less attend safety meetings at least twice a week. Which no big deal paid by the hour. But we sit there and listen to a conference call with the district manager and safety team members share....now they decided to make it mandatory for all of us drivers to come up with some 20 min conference call topic where we have to lead the call for the district and prepare all this stuff about safety.....tbh I have more important things to do with my time than go home and prepare some safety talk....I didn't join the safety committee, it's not in my job description....do I have to do this?

over9five

Staff member
So I don't know if other district's have been doing this or not but in ours they have been having any driver with 4 years or less attend safety meetings at least twice a week. Which no big deal paid by the hour. But we sit there and listen to a conference call with the district manager and safety team members share....now they decided to make it mandatory for all of us drivers to come up with some 20 min conference call topic where we have to lead the call for the district and prepare all this stuff about safety.....tbh I have more important things to do with my time than go home and prepare some safety talk....I didn't join the safety committee, it's not in my job description....do I have to do this?
No. You are an hourly employee, no preparing safety crap at home.

ITwannabe

Just go to the meeting, say nothing, màke easy money.
That's what I've been doing....and I do discuss stuff on occasion when I feel I is e something of value to share...but the district manager is picking people to "go next" and come up with a speech for the next week.....btw it doesn't help that we have a bunch of ass kissing safety team members (who are all under four years and have had multiple accidents...ironic) pushing for this discussion stuff.

That's what I've been doing....and I do discuss stuff on occasion when I feel I is e something of value to share...but the district manager is picking people to "go next" and come up with a speech for the next week.....btw it doesn't help that we have a bunch of ass kissing safety team members (who are all under four years and have had multiple accidents...ironic) pushing for this discussion stuff.
Just make up some crap. Tell them the packages are too heavy and their is to much work on the car.

They will quickly stfu

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I would like to discuss the importance of water. H20,. Two parts hydrogen one parts oxegen. I feel the importance of water to us can not be stressed enough. I think if we are serious about saftey here. And I think we are ,at least that is the vibe I get from these meetings. I feel UPS should supply every driver with a water container in their packages car. You know like those ones on the back of utility trucks. I think if our saftey committee is serious also they should ensure that each one is filled with ice water and cups in every package car each day.
There you go. There is your subject and speaking point for when it is your turn. Come back on next time it is close to your turn and I can give you another one.
Find a way to cost UPS money and throw the saftey committee under the bus . Win, Win

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
image.jpg

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
You can't be compelled to do this, it should be voluntary. But we all know that mgt tends to be overly aggressive when something comes down from on high.

ITwannabe

To be honest all this "safety" stuff gets old real quick. I don't know how you guys who have 20+ years in dealt with it that long. They always try to say "we care about you." I mean who buys that? Everyone knows it just to cover their own ass. I would rather them just be honest and tell us they don't care and say all they care about is production. Just like stretching before PCM. That's all so they can get a credit on their insurance. Here is the proof. This past week we were told that coorporate no longer felt we had to do 10 stretches. They said we could do just 2 if we wanted to. I'd they really cared they would make us continue to do 10 or even more. Better yet real stretches that actually do something. Since when does leaning backwards stretch your back? Ever hear of touching your toes? I don't know how this company has been a float for so long. It's run by a bunch of idiots.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Safety committees serve no purpose but to give the employees a feeling that the company cares.
They don't.
Once you tell them something that will cost money or slow production, Bye Bye safety committee !!!
We even had our union shut down ours because it was a farce.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
File a harassment grievance you're a truck driver not a public speaker.