SAFETY METHODS

norcalbrown

Is it more important to be able to regurgitate safety babble or be able to empty and refill a cubed out 1000 before you crash and burn?

DOK

Id love for big shots like you to do my job for a week. You don't have a clue.

I think what he's trying to say is everyone with a meaningless desk job at this company (not all management positions are meaningless) should be worshipping the hard working employees who provide a means for them to hold such an easy job. We are on the front lines day in day out making this company large amounts of money. All the while that money is used to pay the guys salary who sits behind a desk, 100 miles away, looking at reports and emailing the center team saying so-and-so is an at risk employee yesterday because his vehicle rolled 7 inches while his bulkhead door was open.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The safety methods. As if UPS management knows what it takes to be safe. What are the marriage methods, or how about the 7 keys to eating without choking to death. How about the 10 techniques to giving a woman an orgasm. I don't need UPS to tell me how much water to drink or what to eat, how long I should sleep or any of their propaganda about supposed safety. When is the last time you heard them talk about how fast you drive? They know we are all speeding to make their unattainable numbers but there is no report on telematics showing your speed. What is the number one factor in most fatal accidents? Speeding. Hypocrites. Anyone who drinks their koolaid is brainwashed. I have never had an accident and have never pictured a dartboard or counted the seconds between the car in front of me. I will memorize whatever if that's what it takes to work but will never think about a word of that garbage while I'm out there actually doing my job. IF UPS really wants to focus on safety let the drivers run the morning meetings and give up on this waste of money and time.

In regards to the third item aforementioned, who care about that? Take care of business for yourself.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
:D The women do not complain.....

Part-time sup complaining about a driver complaining about needing to know 25 sentences on a piece of paper.

Believable.
I learned it in a couple hours. I don't get what is so hard about it? If we paid peanuts like FedEx I'd understand. But for the wages UPS pays. Is it really that tough to get motivated to learn it? Heck they'll pay you to learn it in our center.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I think what he's trying to say is everyone with a meaningless desk job at this company (not all management positions are meaningless) should be worshipping the hard working employees who provide a means for them to hold such an easy job. We are on the front lines day in day out making this company large amounts of money. All the while that money is used to pay the guys salary who sits behind a desk, 100 miles away, looking at reports and emailing the center team saying so-and-so is an at risk employee yesterday because his vehicle rolled 7 inches while his bulkhead door was open.
I'm not saying we shouldn't appreciate and respect what you guys do. I know I do. You guys deal with a lot of crap we avoid. But it isn't all a cake walk like everybody loves to make it out to be.

hyena

The safety methods. As if UPS management knows what it takes to be safe. What are the marriage methods, or how about the 7 keys to eating without choking to death. How about the 10 techniques to giving a woman an orgasm. I don't need UPS to tell me how much water to drink or what to eat, how long I should sleep or any of their propaganda about supposed safety. When is the last time you heard them talk about how fast you drive? They know we are all speeding to make their unattainable numbers but there is no report on telematics showing your speed. What is the number one factor in most fatal accidents? Speeding. Hypocrites. Anyone who drinks their koolaid is brainwashed. I have never had an accident and have never pictured a dartboard or counted the seconds between the car in front of me. I will memorize whatever if that's what it takes to work but will never think about a word of that garbage while I'm out there actually doing my job. IF UPS really wants to focus on safety let the drivers run the morning meetings and give up on this waste of money and time.
Why'd you derail that @Cementups ?

hyena

Damn and you had some good points, I want to like this , I really do , but then you went and screwed it up! Damn you!

CoolArrow

I learned it in a couple hours. I don't get what is so hard about it? If we paid peanuts like FedEx I'd understand. But for the wages UPS pays. Is it really that tough to get motivated to learn it? Heck they'll pay you to learn it in our center.

It's the attitude of superiority displayed by management and the safety committees that do the audits-it's almost as if they would rather you had an accident than not know the depth of knowledge questions. If someone has gone 20 years without an accident don't keep asking them to recite information that might seem important in theory but in the real every day operations doesn't apply. It feels like harassment. If there are drivers having accidents then work with them individually and stop the group stuff this isn't a team WE don't have accidents it's the poor guy who's job is on the line that made a mistake who had the accident. Memorization only proves which drivers have the highest IQ but does nothing to improve safety. There are 35 year safe drivers who struggle to recite the DOK information that the accident prone younger guys can spit out with ease. Stop doing ineffective things. Reward, recognize, congratulate, and even ask these drivers for practical real world advice otherwise just stay out of the way and stop making our jobs more difficult.

Last edited:

NXA

It's the attitude of superiority displayed by management and the safety committees that do the audits-it's almost as if they would rather you had an accident than not know the depth of knowledge questions. If someone has gone 20 years without an accident don't keep asking them to recite information that might seem important in theory but in the real every day operations doesn't apply. It feels like harassment. If there are drivers having accidents then work with them individually and stop the group stuff this isn't a team WE don't have accidents it's the poor guy who's job is on the line that made a mistake who had the accident. Memorization only proves which drivers have the highest IQ but does nothing to improve safety. There are 35 year safe drivers who struggle to recite the DOK information that the accident prone younger guys can spit out with ease. Stop doing ineffective things. Reward, recognize, congratulate, and even ask these drivers for practical real world advice otherwise just stay out of the way and stop making our jobs more difficult.
You said you regularly drive faster than legal limits.
You said you don't observe guidelines for following distance.
DOK knowledge can't fix that, only you can fix that. DOK knowledge can point out to you that you're screwing up, so you can fix it, before it gets someone hurt.

We all get sloppy, rehearsal of the DOK material is an opportunity to self-check-self-correct.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't disagree, but I understand some people have trouble with the fact that on safety rides you are reciting and also driving. That is technically a distracted driver and I agree with that. But as far as sitting in an office reciting or multiple choice or what not, I'd probably side with the POV you are taking.

DOK

I'm not saying we shouldn't appreciate and respect what you guys do. I know I do. You guys deal with a lot of crap we avoid. But it isn't all a cake walk like everybody loves to make it out to be.

I recognize that most management positions aren't cake walks, I could not deal with the stress and hassle, and have an appreciation for those who can, a lot of sups can't deal with it and are terrible sups as a result.

I'm not fond of the management positions that do nothing to further grow or have nothing to do with bringing more revenue to the company. The people who sit at a desk in a far away land and read reports and harrass my ctr team with emails that have zero to do with the business. We "track" a whole bunch of indices that are absolutely meaningless to running the business, a lot of wasted time. It seems whole jobs are created to track this stuff that we are selves invented.

CoolArrow

Most drivers are speeding and telematics shows this but UPS would never ask drivers to go the speed limit because it would cost the company more in extra wages. The first item on that telematics list should be over the speed limit. I don't tailgate but I've never counted the seconds between my vehicle and the one in front of me. I check my mirrors but don't check to make sure it's every 5-8 seconds because I'm not a robot I'm a professional driver who uses the feel and intuition that keeps me safe and can't be learned from memorizing stuff. If I memorize a bunch of information about the golf swing it won't improve my game. I'm not opposed to listening to this information and being generally aware of the ideas but reciting the stuff word for word is unnecessary in my opinion, especially if you are a driver who has proven to be safe over a number of years.

Last edited:

10 point

There is a telematics report on speed. You're right, they don't post or talk about the report unless there's an accident and they'll use it if it convicts the employee.

That's why it's on us to protect our own jobs and if you're thinking that you're going to have late air or missed businesses simply tell the supes before you leave the building and then it's their problem.

Being a hero gets you into trouble.

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles

It's not a condition of employment nor can you be disciplined for it under the contract.

I was on the safety committee once when they wanted us to get every driver to do DOK. All the circle of honor drivers I would skip and instead ask them what they do differently to keep them safe. I learned more that way then any DOK review.

Does the DOK have its place and should we apply it to how we drive safely? Absolutely. Should we have memorize it "word for word" and be singled out and criticized if we don't? No. THAT is a waste of company time and resources. As long as a driver knows and can apply the principles of the DOK, then that's all that should matter. Not whether he knew it word for word