Safety Reps...

Integrity

Binge Poster
It's not an excuse on my part but its the reason the company doesn't focus on us. You think UPS really gives a **** about the safety committee? It's a PR move and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.
98% of my job is common sense. It amazes me the **** drivers do. When you asked them after a accident "what were you thinking?" they always give you the same stupid stare and shrug their shoulders. I have noticed that most of our problems are with older drivers thinking this is the same UPS from 1980. WAKE UP GUYS. Still driving with the bulkhead door open, still not using handrail, driving headfirst into driveways. The problem is they can't comprehend telematics and its bites them in the ass everytime. We had a driver that had 30 driving without seatbelt violations. When we said something to him his response was "Are you kidding me? This is what UPS is worrying about!" I was dumbfounded. You are driving a company vehicle without your seatbelt you dumb @#%$@#$% !!
Indecisi0n,

I really don't understand what you mean in your first sentence .

Yes, I do think the corporate executives of UPS care about the safety committees.

I disagree that it is a PR move therefore, I must be kidding myself.

Employee Health and Safety Committees are collectively bargained for in the Master Contract.

This proves to me that they are important to both UPS and to all Teamsters.

Does your safety committe function according to the parameters in the contract?

Sincerely,
I

Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n,

I really don't understand what you mean in your first sentence .

Yes, I do think the corporate executives of UPS care about the safety committees.

I disagree that it is a PR move therefore, I must be kidding myself.

Employee Health and Safety Committees are collectively bargained for in the Master Contract.

This proves to me that they are important to both UPS and to all Teamsters.

Does your safety committe function according to the parameters in the contract?

Sincerely,
I

Your kidding yourself...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We are a big center and I think things like this get lost in the hustle of the business. To tell you the truth i am more worried about them ordering my damn uniforms. It's only been 6 months. I don't need a book to tell me what a member should/shouldn't be doing. I stick to the methods as close as i can and i teach it to others. If i see something unsafe i try to fix it or tell someone who can fix it. The one thing i don't do and i will NEVER do it rat out another member. If i see someone doing something unsafe i will tell them face to face. There is no need to get management involved. If they ever specifically tell me that they require that of me then i will leave the committee.

1. File a grievance. The company is obligated under the contract to provide suitable uniforms.

2. Once a uniform item is torn or worn out to the point where you deem it to be unsuitable...quit wearing it. When the day comes that you no longer have a complete uniform....report to work at your start time, clock in, and inform your management team that you will be delivering in street clothes until such time as they provide you with suitable uniforms. If they try to send you home, file for your 8 hr gurantee. Repeat as necessary. Grow a pair and force the issue.

Your management team has the ability to have uniforms sent to the center via Next Day Air if necessary. What they lack...is a sense of urgency. Paying you 8 hrs to sit in the office in your street clothes will help them to develop that sense of urgency and honor the labor agreement that they entered into.

Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n,

Why are you on the Safety Committee?

Sincerely,
I

Just because they don't care doesn't mean I don't. I do what I can to help other drivers. There have been endless amounts of time we setup safety events and the managers who are in charge of buying what we need always seem to forget. Their actions tell me they don't care.

soberups

Here is the reality of Safety and Wellness committees.

The company is obligated, under both the labor agreement and OSHA compliance, to have Safety Committees in each operation. It is NOT, however, required...nor is it even desired... to allow those Committees to actually accomplish anything.

The Committees are treated by Corporate as a fixed operational expense. A budget is drawn up, and the money is allocated. The primary goal of the company is to make sure that the Committees do not act in a way that could require the company to spend any additional funds on improvements to equipment or facilities.

The easiest way to accomplish this...is to create "a committee in a bottle" that focuses strictly on the "4 A's"----Awareness, Asessments, Acronyms and Audits. Under no circumstances can the Committees be allowed to hold the company accountable on any real safety issues related to policies, procedures, equipment or facilities. Improvements in these areas could potentially cost the company huge sums of money, whereas the "4 A's" are pretty much fixed costs that can simply be fit into the existing Safety Comittee budget and allow the company to be in compliance with the relevant contract and OSHA language.

It costs a lot more money to fix problems than it does to talk about them.

soberups

Just because they don't care doesn't mean I don't. I do what I can to help other drivers. There have been endless amounts of time we setup safety events and the managers who are in charge of buying what we need always seem to forget. Their actions tell me they don't care.

Its not that they forgot....its that they have more important things to worry about.

I'm not doubting your sincere concern for other drivers, and I dont mean to sound harsh, but the reality is that cookouts and prizes and doughnuts and water bottles dont have anything to do with working safely at UPS.

"Awareness" is great, but without action it is meaningless. Safety begins with proper equipment, proper facilities, a proper job setup, and realistic expectations for the amount of time it should take to safely perform the designated task. You can memorize all the acronyms and recite all the commentaries in the world but if those core areas are not addressed first then you aren't accomplishing anything except for keeping UPS in compliance with an OSHA mandate.

S

speeddemon

Just telling it like it is.

Just telling it like it is in YOUR mind and how it ACTUALLY is in each center is two different things. Keep this up over9five, and Ill have no choice but to call you a liberal democrat.

lazydriver

I sometimes drop into a safety meeting for the food and overtime 1 hour scheduled. It seems to help a little getting the feeder department working safer. We have been able to get plant engineering to fix yard lighting, potholes, and repainting lines. This safety thing is a recent requirement, years ago we never used seatbelts or hooked up lights and service air hose, pulled the keys or walked to the back of trailer. It was slam,bang and go.

One of our CHSP members holds the record for most wrecked trailer (4) in one accident. Her mouth moves but I don't hear a word she says.

Unless it's mgmt mandated I don't attend any meetings held by the safety committee or CHSP.

hiro

Wow, spoken just like the center manager. What the hell business is it of yours? This is between that driver and management, not you.

I agree with almost everyone else that the safety committee is a joke, but doesn't it help everyone involved (driver and management) if an injury or accident is prevented because one union member informs another member that they are doing something unsafe? It's not like he's ratting other drivers out to management.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Our Safety Chairman was a PT Car Washer in a smaller Center that got hired into our small Feeder Dept a couple of years ago. She actually drives Feeder for a few weeks during Peak and covers a few Summer vacations. She has never driven Package Car and simply cannot do the job. She draws DOK slogans with chalk on the floor in the morning, stands at the gate and blows a handheld airhorn if your rear door chain isn't fastened, goes out and spies on real drivers doing observations, shuttles missorts, and occasionally makes pickups in the afternoon. If I am told to meet her to hand off a missort, I will try to run it myself to save time. She can't read a map and doesn't bring a GPS to shuttle missorts in her personal vehicle. She will drive ten miles to my area to meet me, and then drive ten miles back to the Hub. Then she will drive back out to meet the driver to hand it off for delivery. Because that is how Google Maps works for her. If the company wants to pay somebody to do this, then fine. It seems like it would make sense to help run an add/cut over an over dispatched driver, but they don't want another DIAD to show up on the road.