Safety Reps...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I agree with almost everyone else that the safety committee is a joke, but doesn't it help everyone involved (driver and management) if an injury or accident is prevented because one union member informs another member that they are doing something unsafe? It's not like he's ratting other drivers out to management.

Yes it does.

For the message to be heard, however, it needs to have credibility.

If you are a "Safety Committee" rep simply because you (a) have your letter in for management or (b) want to make a bunch of easy OT coloring posters and fetching doughnuts instead of busting your ass on a truck or (c) have had multiple accidents and injuries and are trying to keep from geting fired....you dont have any credibility with me. I am not at all interested in the "observations" of some management wannabe who was a grade school hall-monitor back when I first started doing this job safely.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You'd want a spot near the building too if you ratted your brothers out every day.

I wish our "Safety Committe" members had designated spots near the building. If we knew which cars were theirs, it would make it easier to carve the 10 pt Commentary into the side of the door with a key.

hiro

Yes it does.

If you are a "Safety Committee" rep simply because you (a) have your letter in for management or (b) want to make a bunch of easy OT coloring posters and fetching doughnuts instead of busting your ass on a truck or (c) have had multiple accidents and injuries and are trying to keep from geting fired....you dont have any credibility with me. I am not at all interested in the "observations" of some management wannabe who was a grade school hall-monitor back when I first started doing this job safely.

I completely agree, and in real life I haven't met any member that was actually doing it for the right reasons. And frankly, I think every CHSP sup I've met is just their to collect a paycheck. I've never seen a real safety issue corrected because of CHSP. But it did seem like Indecisiion was doing it to actually help other drivers, and not to eat a couple extra donuts, and that's probably unusual throughout the company.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have a 30 day wonder driving in our building in the process of being promoted from part time time Supe to full time On-Car Supe. Watched said driver pull into building with no lights or 4-ways on and jump out of car without grabbing handrail. Easier said then done.

gorilla75jdw

my answer as always , WHO FREAKIN CARES , suck it up , if you want to be on the safety committee or whatever they call it then join it . Dont get on here and whine about the teachers helper,office assistant etc. etc. like in school , its the same thing as in high and middle school . These employees do the committee work to get them out of actually working in a trailor or whatever , I dnt blame them . When I was part time I was on the chsp and milked it out every chance I could , thats what your supposed to do , do you really think these people give a crap about safety or do they like to sit in the office with the A/C blasting on them . Use your head folkes , we got alot bigger fish to fry , what your doing is HATING .

W

want to retire

Yes it does.

Amen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a 30 day wonder driving in our building in the process of being promoted from part time time Supe to full time On-Car Supe. Watched said driver pull into building with no lights or 4-ways on and jump out of car without grabbing handrail. Easier said then done.

Lights and 4-ways on when you pull in to the building? The only requirement we have is to watch our speed. I have started to honk the horn upon entering the building as some of our new PTers are not the most aware of their surroundings.

W

want to retire

my answer as always , WHO FREAKIN CARES , suck it up , if you want to be on the safety committee or whatever they call it then join it . Dont get on here and whine about the teachers helper,office assistant etc. etc. like in school , its the same thing as in high and middle school . These employees do the committee work to get them out of actually working in a trailor or whatever , I dnt blame them . When I was part time I was on the chsp and milked it out every chance I could , thats what your supposed to do , do you really think these people give a crap about safety or do they like to sit in the office with the A/C blasting on them . Use your head folkes , we got alot bigger fish to fry , what your doing is HATING .

Use your head! There are real lives and injuries at stake here! Yeah, you milked it alright....probably while someone was getting hurt............

Last edited by a moderator:
W

want to retire

Lights and 4-ways on when you pull in to the building? The only requirement we have is to watch our speed. I have started to honk the horn upon entering the building as some of our new PTers are not the most aware of their surroundings.

Feeders are required on(flashers) at all times while on the yard. So, what about stop signs? Just watch your speed through those? Alot of the drivers and car wash folks, mech. etc around here generally run the stop signs on property, even into the building.....Stupid and dangerous. By the way-ever seen the list of "yard procedures"? we have copies all over in feeders......four ways, walk paths etc.?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Feeders are required on(flashers) at all times while on the yard. So, what about stop signs? Just watch your speed through those? Alot of the drivers and car wash folks, mech. etc around here generally run the stop signs on property, even into the building.....Stupid and dangerous. By the way-ever seen the list of "yard procedures"? we have copies all over in feeders......four ways, walk paths etc.?

You may want to read a bit more slowly and completely before responding. I asked "Lights and 4-ways on when you pull in to the building?" The only requirement that we have when we pull in to the building is to watch our speed. I never talked about yard control procedures which, yes, do include watching our speed, stopping at all stop signs, using designated walkways and break areas; however, we (PC drivers) are not required to have our lights and 4-ways on in the parking lot.

W

want to retire

You may want to read a bit more slowly and completely before responding. I asked "Lights and 4-ways on when you pull in to the building?" The only requirement that we have when we pull in to the building is to watch our speed. I never talked about yard control procedures which, yes, do include watching our speed, stopping at all stop signs, using designated walkways and break areas; however, we (PC drivers) are not required to have our lights and 4-ways on in the parking lot.

I read it all. Just asking. By the way, why aren't yard control procedure the same for everyone? So, watching your speed.....you mean obeying the speed limit....right? Because around here.......some folks watch their speed(still speed) but watch it......and sort of slow down at STOP signs.....and look real irritated when you ask them why. And mgt. looks the other way......

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A couple of weeks ago I was pulling in to the driveway in my PC only to be nearly hit by a driver in his personal vehicle who was on his cellphone and who failed to clear the intersection or stop at the stop sign. That same driver nearly hit me a week or so later when he ran the stop sign and blew through the cross walk that I was standing in.

We are told to obey the posted speed limit and all traffic signs while driving in the yard but it is still a good idea to have your head on a swivel.

W

want to retire

A couple of weeks ago I was pulling in to the driveway in my PC only to be nearly hit by a driver in his personal vehicle who was on his cellphone and who failed to clear the intersection or stop at the stop sign. That same driver nearly hit me a week or so later when he ran the stop sign and blew through the cross walk that I was standing in.

We are told to obey the posted speed limit and all traffic signs while driving in the yard but it is still a good idea to have your head on a swivel.

True. This is the kind of thing that I always posted as safety concerns for the safety committee. At the very least there was a record. And a record of the company doing nothing. By the way- who do you think would have been charged with that personal vehicle if in an accident? The employee parking lot is as unsupervised as the yard here.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Employees authorized to drive vehicles in the yard must ensure the vehicle is equipped with operable head lights, hazard lights or reflective material that provides 360 degree visibility. I guess it doesn't specifically say they have to be on.