Safety thread

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Share your most recent safety experience!

I'll start: When I walked into the office I used 3 points of contact going up the stairs.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Nearly busted my ass yesterday loading package cars on the preload. The back (which is the front when loading) of the package cars is so slippery. I was going super saiyan loading 4 pcs. There was this long irregular piece that I took off the belt and started running to put it in one of my package cars that was at the end, as I turned into the package car, I slipped and fell on my ass. I don't know why they don't put any mats there.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Nearly busted my ass yesterday loading package cars on the preload. The back (which is the front when loading) of the package cars is so slippery. I was going super saiyan loading 4 pcs. There was this long irregular piece that I took off the belt and started running to put it in one of my package cars that was at the end, as I turned into the package car, I slipped and fell on my ass. I don't know why they don't put any mats there.

I applaud you for your hard work. However, you must remember to be safe. If you were walking at a brisk pace instead of running you [possibly] could have prevented this incident. Did you notify your supervision team that certain package cars have hazardous/slippery surfaces? I hope you learned from that and continue to be a hard and safe worker.

Ouch

Surely you have to be kidding. Ups is no more concerned with safety than I am about global warming as it was 0 when I woke up. Have you ever attended a safety meeting? As soon as you mention something that would help out they shoot it down or change the subject. I truly believe the only reason they have a safety committee is because they are required to.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Share your most recent safety experience!

I'll start: When I walked into the office I used 3 points of contact going up the stairs.
I applaud you for your hard work. However, you must remember to be safe. If you were walking at a brisk pace instead of running you [possibly] could have prevented this incident. Did you notify your supervision team that certain package cars have hazardous/slippery surfaces? I hope you learned from that and continue to be a hard and safe worker.

Are you Integrity's evil twin?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
UPS's safety program is simple, it will always be your fault if anything bad happens. Slip on ice you didn't maintain the 5 steps avoiding slips and falls. Pull something when lifting a 132# package you didn't follow the 8 keys of lifting/lowering. Get hit in the head by space debris you weren't aware of your surroundings.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
After cleaning it out, I was carrying my cat's litter box back to it's spot.
My wife had boxes in the walk aisle and I tripped over one of them.
I feel on my right knee and hand and then hit my head and shoulder on the door jamb.
I was sore and had a headache.

That's it.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
After cleaning it out, I was carrying my cat's litter box back to it's spot.
My wife had boxes in the walk aisle and I tripped over one of them.
I feel on my right knee and hand and then hit my head and shoulder on the door jamb.
I was sore and had a headache.

That's it.

Obviously, you were at fault. Scanning walk path and getting the big picture and stuff like that.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Yea like writing down the 10 Pt commentary monthly prevents accidents. Lol

I see your humor but I do think the 10 pt commentary and 5 seeing habits are good things to be aware of - they have always helped

Left and right at intersections....stale green lights....watching the steering wheels....making sure you're seen (signals and horn)...following distance

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I see your humor but I do think the 10 pt commentary and 5 seeing habits are good things to be aware of - they have always helped

Left and right at intersections....stale green lights....watching the steering wheels....making sure you're seen (signals and horn)...following distance
They are all good habits to use. It's the constantly writing and regurgitating them that gets annoying.