Safety

True? " utmost importance on the safety of our employees, our customers and the comm

• Yes, UPS puts utmost importance on the safety.......

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • No ups does not utmost importance on the safety ..........

Votes: 52 96.3%

• Total voters

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I believe the tools are given us to work safely: 10 point commentary,8 rules of Lifting and Lowering, 3 points of Contact exiting and entering the truck, Stretching before work, PCM's concerning Hydration , Healthy Eating,and Signs of Dehydration , Hour Lunch Break,Telematics as well as language in the contract that gives us the right to ask for help with Over Weights to name a few. I feel the Top Levels of Management believe safety is very important,but by the time it trickles down to Operations all that matters is Production and 'The Numbers'

I observe each and every one and Stay Safe by Choice,not by Chance. I have never had an injury,and while I have been working 11-12 hours in the heat lately I stay safe and injury free. Many of my co workers succumb to Production Harassment and have suffered injuries and have been told had they been working safely. It aint Rocket Science

jaker

trolling
Kinda off topic , but why is it so hard to put one of those vent things ( like on a RV) on top of ours trucks

​ at least that way we can get some air back there

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Safety is important, for what reasons only Davis himself knows. It could be important because he cares for every life that UPS comes in contact with, be it employees or the public. It could also be important to him because injuries, crashes, liabilities, sickness, and public perception are nothing more than a line item on the P&L to him. Only Davis can answer what safety truly means to him.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maybe, just maybe, someone from corporate will read this thread.

Many have and I'm sure they feel like I do.

UPS takes safety into consideration in the workplace.
- They have wide wheel bases on the chairs so when we have chair races no one tips over.
- They removed all wheels from side tables to keep the table from flying our from underneath them when you sit on the edge of the table.
- The carpets have good padding so if you go to sleep in the chair and fall out you do not suffer head injuries.
- There are non-skid mats in front of the free coffee machines to ensure people do not slip down.
- There are periodic fire drills and free ice cream at the meeting places to motivate employees to hurry to their report spot.

As always, it's up to the employee to ensure safety in their area.
- I always make sure the cords for my iPad, fan and portable refrigerator of tucked away and out of the walk areas.
- I installed a seat belt on my chair to keep be from falling over when I nap.
- I keep my headphones positioned so I can hear the fire alarms and such over the music I listen to all day.
- I keep my scissors pointed down in a holder to ensure i don't stab myself when opening a drawer.
​- I knurl the edges of printouts to reduce the chances of paper cuts.

Indecisi0n

I believe the tools are given us to work safely: 10 point commentary,8 rules of Lifting and Lowering, 3 points of Contact exiting and entering the truck, Stretching before work, PCM's concerning Hydration , Healthy Eating,and Signs of Dehydration , Hour Lunch Break,Telematics as well as language in the contract that gives us the right to ask for help with Over Weights to name a few. I feel the Top Levels of Management believe safety is very important,but by the time it trickles down to Operations all that matters is Production and 'The Numbers'

I observe each and every one and Stay Safe by Choice,not by Chance. I have never had an injury,and while I have been working 11-12 hours in the heat lately I stay safe and injury free. Many of my co workers succumb to Production Harassment and have suffered injuries and have been told had they been working safely. It aint Rocket Science

When you say "safe by choice not by chance" I can hear that stupid women's voice from the computer training. LOL.

kingOFchester

I do believe that UPS puts some priority in safety. It would be financially foolish not to. Not to mention having to keep OSHA happy.

My issue is with the word utmost.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I do believe that UPS puts some priority in safety. It would be financially foolish not to. Not to mention having to keep OSHA happy.

My issue is with the word utmost.

That's a PR word and for OSHA too.
Government agencies like words like utmost, 100 percent committed, absolute, etc.
It's just a game at some point ... sales job.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
When you say "safe by choice not by chance" I can hear that stupid women's voice from the computer training. LOL.
i was being a bit sarcastic as whenever I'm raked over the coals about 'the Numbers" that phrase is the first thing that pops out of my mouth:happy-very:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Sure, as long as the employee is under allowed. Then safety "is the most important thing". For those of us floating the over-allowed balloon, eh, not so much. In fact, when my numbers, and management's displeasure with them, come up, the easiest way for me to turn off the harassment tap, is to start talking about safety as it refers to my job. If my driving speed comes up, I bring up eye-lead time. I drive at night, and the 8 to 12 second eye lead time becomes mute in the pitch black. 4 seconds, at the most, at highway speeds. "So, you're instructing me to ignore the eye lead time part of the 10 point commentary?" Silence...No more talk about my speed.

At UPS, safety is a matter of convenience.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Why isn't the shameful union brought up in this topic? They're also complicit in UPS's unsafe operations.

Wasn't this new contract going to address new harassment language along with not having to take a truck out in which the load was unsafe ie...crap is stacked from floor to ceiling and packages are falling out the back...guess that didn't happen

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Wasn't this new contract going to address new harassment language along with not having to take a truck out in which the load was unsafe ie...crap is stacked from floor to ceiling and packages are falling out the back...guess that didn't happen

That will change once all the local supplements are passed and the Master goes into effect.