Salary Increases

nystripe96

Well, today was my first day thrown into the fire. It was very tough, but I know I'll be able to hack it. I asked one guy how many years he's been a loader, he told me 4 years. I was just curious, what does a package handler typically make after 3 or 4 years seniority. How often do we get wage increases?

U

uber

Not much. As a part-timer you wont make decent money until about 10 years in. Double shifting is your best bet to make some cash.

menotyou

bella amicizia
000.jpg
000.jpg

All part-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1,2008 will receive the following general wage increases for eachcontract year.In each of the years, the increase shall be paid in two(2) equal installments.The first half of the increase shall becomeeffective on August 1 of the specified year.The second half of theincrease shall become effective on February 1 of the following cal-endar year.The total wage increase for each year will be as follows:2008
seventy cents ($0.70)
seventy-five cents ($0.75)
seventy-five cents ($0.75)
eighty-five cents ($0.85)
ninety-five cents ($0.95)
Part-time employees still in progression on August 1, 2008 shallreceive the above contractual increases and will be paid no less thanwhat they are entitled to in accordance with the wage schedules inArticle 22, Section 5 (b) below.Between the date of ratification andAugust 1, 2008 part-time employees will continue to be paid inaccordance with the progression contained in the prior Agreement.The progression set forth in (b) below shall be applied effectiveAugust 1, 2008.(b) Newly hired part-time employees
All part-time employees, who are hired or reach seniority afterAugust 1, 2008 will be paid according to the following wage sched-ules:Hourly Rate
Preloader All
Sorter
Others
Start
$9.50
$8.50
Start plus ninety (90) calendar days
$10.50
$9.50
Seniority plus one (1) year
$11.00
$10.00
Seniority plus two (2) years
$11.50
$10.50
Seniority plus three (3) years
$12.00
$11.00
Seniority plus four (4) years
$12.87
$11.87
Employees working high volume direct or low volume direct shall
receive the preloader/sorter rates

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Well, today was my first day thrown into the fire. It was very tough, but I know I'll be able to hack it. I asked one guy how many years he's been a loader, he told me 4 years. I was just curious, what does a package handler typically make after 3 or 4 years seniority. How often do we get wage increases?

I'm over simplifying it, but here goes (for a loader):

Hire/Seniority 8.50
90 (calendar) Days 9.50
12 Month 10.00
24 Month 10.50
36 Month 11.00
48 Month [-]11.87[/-]11.99

nystripe96

I'm over simplifying it, but here goes (for a loader):

Hire/Seniority 8.50
90 (calendar) Days 9.50
12 Month 10.00
24 Month 10.50
36 Month 11.00
48 Month [-]11.87[/-]11.99

hmm, so after 48 months (hopefully I'm driving by than) do pay rates still increase, or does it flatline at $11.99 for loader?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
hmm, so after 48 months (hopefully I'm driving by than) do pay rates still increase, or does it flatline at $11.99 for loader?

No. Having completed the 4 year wage progression, one would then get the general wage increase, aka contract raise(s). Over the 5 year span of this contract, wages increase by $4 (awarded in 6 month intervals this contract); plus the COLA language kicked in another .12, so far.
But once again, I must point out I am oversimplifying things. For one thing, the current contract lapses/reopens for negotiations July 31, 2013; or earlier if both parties agree. In the recent past, inside part time employees in progression would get a slight bonus of being moved out of the progression schedule and start receiving the general wage increases.

nystripe96

Just seeing how grueling loader is, why don't more people just take the sorter test? I worked small sort my first day, loader 2nd day. Small sort was heck of a lot easier. I'm gonna be loader probably, that's what my sup said, but I plan to take sorter test eventually unless u guys think its not worth it?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just seeing how grueling loader is, why don't more people just take the sorter test? I worked small sort my first day, loader 2nd day. Small sort was heck of a lot easier. I'm gonna be loader probably, that's what my sup said, but I plan to take sorter test eventually unless u guys think its not worth it?

I think it's time that you begin to think for yourself.

UPSGUY72

Because they don't want to.

ups2005

I been working at ups since august 15, 2005 as a partime sorter my rate is wrong can someone help i make 14.96 but i have a question about the beginning of the pay rate. Is it 8.50 then after 90 days 9.00 then what?

UPSGUY72

I been working at ups since august 15, 2005 as a partime sorter my rate is wrong can someone help i make 14.96 but i have a question about the beginning of the pay rate. Is it 8.50 then after 90 days 9.00 then what?

Almost 7 years later you think you rate has been wrong basically since you started working at UPS.???

Ask a person that got hired around the same time as you in your building what they are making hour and compare.