Sales leads warning letters

BILLYB

Our PCM is now "this is your responsibility." i (note small i) am wondering what if any responsibilty MGT has at this company anymore! I was recently given a sales lead ride by MGT since I have failed to produce a working lead in 4 years - mind you I pick up 150 to 300 pieces per day! This on car sup bullied and harrassed my customers but still could not produce a lead and left me at 4pm - I presume he was so frustrated he went home! One customer has a son who is a UPS driver and she flat out told him she will use whoever she chooses because competition is a good thing - he was kinda red-faced on that one. I will do sales leads if I believe our product is better for the customer! Some customers just want cheap and do not care about service - they eventually learn and come running back to me and UPS!

W

westsideworma

while I understand the need to grow the business and its importance, this is pathetic (if true).

iruhnman630

They've been bugging me recently as well. I'm anticipating a ride any day.

If I saw more opportunity to turn in leads, I would. Most of my time is spent as a split driver, delivering mostly residentials. On most of the bid routes I cover that do have pickups, my actual customer contact is limited, in and our quickly. And on many off those pickups I don't see anybody, just load the packages and go.

I do speak up if I see an opportunity, but have had very little success. Usually this is because sales leads have already been turned in, or they just don't do any more shipping.

SWORDFISH

Thats a big laugh. I would love to see them try and suspend of fire somone for that. I want to sit in on that center level or panel. They will look very very stupid but they are very good at that.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Our PCM is now "this is your responsibility." i (note small i) am wondering what if any responsibilty MGT has at this company anymore! I was recently given a sales lead ride by MGT since I have failed to produce a working lead in 4 years - mind you I pick up 150 to 300 pieces per day! This on car sup bullied and harrassed my customers but still could not produce a lead and left me at 4pm - I presume he was so frustrated he went home! One customer has a son who is a UPS driver and she flat out told him she will use whoever she chooses because competition is a good thing - he was kinda red-faced on that one. I will do sales leads if I believe our product is better for the customer! Some customers just want cheap and do not care about service - they eventually learn and come running back to me and UPS!

>>As a cover drive I get about 2-3 leads per week! How you don't have one in 4 years is...well it bogles the mind!! It is not the drivers job to "sell" the lead!! I do not get the problem here!! Just get the contact information for any company that does any shipping and does not have a UPS account! OUR JOB IS NOT TO SELL, LET THE PROS IN BD DO THE SELLING, just get the contact info for them! How is it that they "eventually learn and come running back to me and UPS?" without you putting in a lead for them.....guess its a damn good thing cover drivers run your route from time to time to get that lead and get BD back into that bussiness!

If you do not care enough about MY COMPANY to be bothered with taking the 45 seconds to enter info into the DIAD then by all means get the ___ out! "if I believe our product is better for the customer" ARE YOU :censored2: KIDDING ME?!?!?! IF!!!! IF you do not "BELIEVE" "OUR" product is better by all means please don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
4 years driving, but thats illrelivant (spelling off on that one I know) Every center is asking for sales leads. It takes less than 45 secs, and is painless. "Do you have a UPS account?" at any business that has anything outbound that isn't UPS. "May I have someone call you to see if we can help you with your bussiness or maybe save you some money?" Done deal, I did not sell a damn thing, and was not inconveinced in the least bit.

I TAKE EXTREME ISSUE WITH ANY COWORKER THAT QUESTIONS OUR "PRODUCT" AND THE IMPLICATION THAT ANOTHER COMPANY OUT THERE IS BETTER AT WHAT WE DO!!!
--Ok, maybe not "questions" as I see alot of things that make me wonder what the hay were they thinking with this new rule, but to work everyday thinking FedEX or USPS is better at what we do for this company or that company is just not right!! Let that company decide that after they get all the infomation from BD and they see our profesionalism day in and day out!!

When more than half of the leads a driver turns in are ignored and the potential customer receives no contact with BD, our professionalism is none existent. The lack of follow up on leads is very high on the list for reasons some drivers don't submit them. If you have an issue with that statement it is YOUR issue, not mine.

All Day

First off benben, take a deep breath buddy! Second, I am also a coverage driver, but I don't think it is my place to tell route drivers what to do. They know THEIR customers a lot better than you, so if they want to submit a lead, they will. The reason most drivers will not submit a lead, is because the sales dept. doesn't do a good job of following up on the lead. They either don't call at all, or they call and give a quick sell and if the customer does not take the bait right away the conversation is over and they never follow up....... sorry if some of us drivers don't want to put our customers through that.

Also, turning in 2-3 sales leads a week does not mean you are helping to grow business. How many of those leads sell? Seriously?? If you are turning in leads just to turn in leads, then you are not only wasting your time, but you are also wasting the sales reps time. So while he is wasting his time calling a lead that has no chance of selling, he is ignoring a good lead that is at the bottom of the pile. If you turn in 100-150 leads a year (as you stated) and none sell, then you are causing more of a problem than anything.....So I ask again, in the last year how many of your leads have sold??

Oh by the way, I do turn in leads..... but only if I know they are serious about getting info!

wornoutupser

>>As a cover drive I get about 2-3 leads per week! How you don't have one in 4 years is...well it bogles the mind!! It is not the drivers job to "sell" the lead!! I do not get the problem here!! Just get the contact information for any company that does any shipping and does not have a UPS account! OUR JOB IS NOT TO SELL, LET THE PROS IN BD DO THE SELLING, just get the contact info for them! How is it that they "eventually learn and come running back to me and UPS?" without you putting in a lead for them.....guess its a damn good thing cover drivers run your route from time to time to get that lead and get BD back into that bussiness!

If you do not care enough about MY COMPANY to be bothered with taking the 45 seconds to enter info into the DIAD then by all means get the ___ out! "if I believe our product is better for the customer" ARE YOU !@#$ING KIDDING ME?!?!?! IF!!!! IF you do not "BELIEVE" "OUR" product is better by all means please don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

Let "The Pros in BD"......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

My area has the mud on their face for losing a 3 MILLION dollar a year international account because UPS refused to sponsor a golf hole in their golf tournament. Fed Ex was THRILLED to do that and steal that account. Pros------ give me a break, my kids can sell better than this!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All Day, excellent post but I do have one question. How is submitting a sales lead on a route that you are covering telling the route driver what to do? Yes, as a courtesy, you may want to check with that driver before submitting the lead, as there may be a reason why he hasn't done so or he may have already submitted one and it was not sold, but if you see potential volume out there, whether you are covering an area or whatever the case, you should not hesitate to either bring it to that driver's attention or turn in the lead yourself.

wornoutupser

If you do not care enough about MY COMPANY to be bothered with taking the 45 seconds to enter info into the DIAD then by all means get the ___ out! "if I believe our product is better for the customer" ARE YOU !@#$ING KIDDING ME?!?!?! IF!!!! IF you do not "BELIEVE" "OUR" product is better by all means please don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

I have to agree- I do not want BD putting my better customers throught "the process".
I have turned in accounts that wanted to be set up the next day to ship. Piece of cake-right? Not at UPS. UPS lost ALL 3 that I turned in because they kept calling on the phone and harrasing them about how much volume we "had to have". All three went to Fred EX because UPS would not go out and sign them up. Personally- I have had it and dont turn in any more leads.

brownrod

Haven't heard a peep about leads.

The conspiracy theorist in me think that we are already running the bare minimum number of routes just to service our pickups. While our delivery volume would dictate less routes. But if we chopped more routes we'd have too many missed pickups because we have so many pickups spread out over a huge area. Why else would UPS let a lot of routes finish in 7.5-8.5 hours in our center.

So more leads would mean more junk pickups, wasted miles and more routes. And not sure if they want more routes until delivery volume increases. Our rural service area is too large. Several routes are already screwed by impossible pickups that are too far apart from each other.

But that's just the disgruntled, conspiracy theorist UPS guy view in me. No idea if any of this is true. These are just the negative thoughts brewing in my mind based on what I observe.

All Day

All Day, excellent post but I do have one question. How is submitting a sales lead on a route that you are covering telling the route driver what to do? Yes, as a courtesy, you may want to check with that driver before submitting the lead, as there may be a reason why he hasn't done so or he may have already submitted one and it was not sold, but if you see potential volume out there, whether you are covering an area or whatever the case, you should not hesitate to either bring it to that driver's attention or turn in the lead yourself.

I see where you are coming from...
I am not against coverage drivers turning in leads at all. I am just saying that the route drivers have been doing the same routes for years (for the most part), and I would think if their customers wanted to set up an account, our drivers could make this happen. But to a cover driver, all these businesses are "new" to them, so maybe they have no idea what the customer really wants. Submitting a bad lead might annoy the customer more than anything.

I was just commenting on a cover driver calling out route drivers for not turning in leads, when said cover driver never said how many of those leads produced volume.....

Dustyroads

I know this sounds bad, but the bd guy that is assigned to my accounts has such an abrasive personality, has such a poor record of making and keeping appointments, that when I have a "lead", I set up the account and simply bypass the account representative. Of course, this results in my sold lead not being tracked on the radar. It's just that this guy is soooo bad, he loses business for us. So, I just pretend that he doesn't exist.

Salesguy

Sales Member
WOW, finally someone who steps up the plate by taking the lead in lead!
To bad it had to come this far...but hey, don't say I didn't warn you'all :smart:

Work hard, make promotion and make it a better place!

nervIS

I know most of this posts here are from drivers, but if you can check out the Feb 26 issue of IS Openline article "Here's Who Grew the Growth Zone". In ISMD, ISGA, and New Jersey, there is a nice little display showing who submitted leads, and which ones sold. Now I'm all for 'growing the business' but this public display is nothing but counterproductive. Sure its great that Sally Gogetter has submitted 500 leads in the last month, but she didn't do any real work. Is this really growing the business? It seems like nothing more than a glorified Honor Roll and an easy way for your co-workers to bust your stones for not submitting leads.

I've only been out with the drivers a couple of times and I find it hard to believe that you have the time to try and play salesman (don't we have sales staff for this stuff - what the hell are they doing?) and get your work done in a defined amount of time. Plus, most of the deliveries are made to existing customers. Are you supposed to harass the average guy on the street to try to get a lead?

Stay safe out there.

I gave our fine sales team an easy sell, international volume made up of pallet loads of toner drums made by a 3rd party vendor for Xerox... an easy half mil per year. A.) The sales lead was closed 3 times. I had to have it reopened by our groups sales lead rep. B.) after 3 weeks someone from sales actually called the customer and setup the account but C.) they gave the customer a phone # that was disconnected which took another 2 weeks to resolve. I'll never put someone I know through that.