Sales leads warning letters

I know most of this posts here are from drivers, but if you can check out the Feb 26 issue of IS Openline article "Here's Who Grew the Growth Zone". In ISMD, ISGA, and New Jersey, there is a nice little display showing who submitted leads, and which ones sold. Now I'm all for 'growing the business' but this public display is nothing but counterproductive. Sure its great that Sally Gogetter has submitted 500 leads in the last month, but she didn't do any real work. Is this really growing the business? It seems like nothing more than a glorified Honor Roll and an easy way for your co-workers to bust your stones for not submitting leads.

I've only been out with the drivers a couple of times and I find it hard to believe that you have the time to try and play salesman (don't we have sales staff for this stuff - what the hell are they doing?) and get your work done in a defined amount of time. Plus, most of the deliveries are made to existing customers. Are you supposed to harass the average guy on the street to try to get a lead?

Stay safe out there.
Well you've got the nerv IS....j/k
Actually you just said what drivers have been saying for years, yet no one in management cares or can do anything to make a change.

705red

Browncafe Steward
>>As a cover drive I get about 2-3 leads per week! How you don't have one in 4 years is...well it bogles the mind!! It is not the drivers job to "sell" the lead!! I do not get the problem here!! Just get the contact information for any company that does any shipping and does not have a UPS account! OUR JOB IS NOT TO SELL, LET THE PROS IN BD DO THE SELLING, just get the contact info for them! How is it that they "eventually learn and come running back to me and UPS?" without you putting in a lead for them.....guess its a damn good thing cover drivers run your route from time to time to get that lead and get BD back into that bussiness!

If you do not care enough about MY COMPANY to be bothered with taking the 45 seconds to enter info into the DIAD then by all means get the ___ out! "if I believe our product is better for the customer" ARE YOU !@#$ING KIDDING ME?!?!?! IF!!!! IF you do not "BELIEVE" "OUR" product is better by all means please don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

4 years driving, but thats illrelivant (spelling off on that one I know) Every center is asking for sales leads. It takes less than 45 secs, and is painless. "Do you have a UPS account?" at any business that has anything outbound that isn't UPS. "May I have someone call you to see if we can help you with your bussiness or maybe save you some money?" Done deal, I did not sell a damn thing, and was not inconveinced in the least bit.

I TAKE EXTREME ISSUE WITH ANY COWORKER THAT QUESTIONS OUR "PRODUCT" AND THE IMPLICATION THAT ANOTHER COMPANY OUT THERE IS BETTER AT WHAT WE DO!!!
--Ok, maybe not "questions" as I see alot of things that make me wonder what the hay were they thinking with this new rule, but to work everyday thinking FedEX or USPS is better at what we do for this company or that company is just not right!! Let that company decide that after they get all the infomation from BD and they see our profesionalism day in and day out!!

Wow, a whole 4 years driving. Maybe I can hit you up for some advice if I ever have any questions? I have never meet someone with so much experience.! The things you could teach us rookies drivers, you know the 15 to 30 year guys should be interesting.

So you waste everyones time by turning in a lead because you saw FedEx envelpoes in their place of business. That 4 to 6 wasted leads a week. I turned in almost 15 leads last year and 7 where sold. All of my leads where turned in and sold prior to UPS changing the system from a check card to their UPS magazine plan. Most of my money has been put towards that. Thisis why I will NEVER ever turn in another lead! I had the most sold leads in my center and I truly wanted to help the company, plus the incentive package was a plus. Now UPS should have changed the incentive package for all leads sold after that date, not for leads that where sold under the previous incentive plan.

Keep thinking your Gods gift to UPS, and we will answer some of your other threads that you start over the next several years like, why is UPS denying my knee injury, or I have been fired, or can they really do this to me. I have 15 years in here and I still learn something new all the time, so you should stop thinking your above everyone else!

If the drivers are being forced into obtaining sales leads. then why do we have Sales Rep's? I always looked at it as their job to get new business. The drivers job should be to deliver packages and that should be the only focus they should need to worry about. Let the Sales Rep's earn their money and lay off the wining,dining, golfing and whatever eles they do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the drivers are being forced into obtaining sales leads. then why do we have Sales Rep's? I always looked at it as their job to get new business. The drivers job should be to deliver packages and that should be the only focus they should need to worry about. Let the Sales Rep's earn their money and lay off the wining,dining, golfing and whatever eles they do.

My center has on average 30 drivers on the road each day. That is 30 pairs of eyes out there daily looking for potential new volume. We have 2 BD people. That is only 2 pairs of eyes. You do the math.

Submitting a sales lead is nothing more that providing BD with contact information and volume potential.

BD people have incentive to secure new volume as it is part of their compensation. All other UPS employees, hourly or mgt, have incentive to grow the business to not only keep the jobs that we have but to add more jobs in the future.

I agree with Red that changes to the sales lead reward program have greatly diminished interest and participation in the program. They should have left the program alone IMO.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Here is what my sales team did for my last lead:

Customer is shipping 2-5 fed-ex P1 letters a week(not big but still revenue!). I ask why not use UPS, I am here every day I can pick those up no problem. She states, I would love that, Get me set up! A few miner hurdles she throws out, No computer, no credit card. Only wants to pay by check , by mail. I tell her no problem, we can get some ASD labels, preprinted with your address info and acount numbers and they can bill you weekly. Great she says lets do it. I turn in the lead. Lead closed, unable to contact. I resubmit, lead closed, duplicate lead in slim. I go to my sup, he says he will reopen it. Lead closed, no volume oppertunity!! Now I go strait to our small account BD rep. He says, I'll go by today and get it done.( this is noe a month after the initial contact). He goes by and gets them set up with an account number and drops off a few generic ASD labels(so he says!) A month goes by no shipping, 2 months, no shipping. Finally I see another Fed-ex package so I ask why their not using UPS. She tells me they never got any labels and have no idea what their account number is!! Next morning I get my on car involved, asked him to get her taken care of, he goes out, writes down everything she wants and tells me he ordered the supplies for her. 2 days later I deliver some supplies and figure, finally we got it!! Wrong, she gets 100 ground shipping docs, they are preprinted, but she does not ship ground,EVER!! I am so pissed by this point(as is the customer) I get on the phone and call the 800 number and order the supplies myself. She receives them a week later and imediately ships some NDA boxes and letters. A few days later, she calls for an oca pickup and they tell her they have to have a credit card number or will not pick it up. She refuses to give a card number to anyone and goes back to using fed-ex. Turns out our sales man set her up with a temporary acount number, never ordered any supplies at all and just told her what ever she wanted to hear to get rid of her.

I would be shocked if they ever ship another thing UPS as long as she lives!!!

Raw

Raw Member
On lunch break yesterday as I was reading the local paper I submitted a sales lead from a busness advertisement. Do that everyday!

Old Shoes

This sales lead stuff is driving me crazy!!!! I deliver a rural rt and let me tell you there is just not that much out there. Bussiness is bad everywhere. You can't get a lead if it ain't there!!!

This sales lead stuff is driving me crazy!!!! I deliver a rural rt and let me tell you there is just not that much out there. Bussiness is bad everywhere. You can't get a lead if it ain't there!!!
I know what you mean. On an extended area that goes to three small towns and covers the RRs out of them, there is only a handful of retail business and even less industrial. I had a sup doing a routine safety ride, he turned in 5 sales leads that day off the area. The problem with that was 3 of those business were on the verge of going out of business and the other two had not sent out a package of any kind to any where in 10 years. I knew the sup had not discussed possible accounts with these places and then I was supposed to waste time following up on those worthless leads.

over9five

Staff member
I know what you mean. On an extended area that goes to three small towns and covers the RRs out of them, there is only a handful of retail business and even less industrial. I had a sup doing a routine safety ride, he turned in 5 sales leads that day off the area. The problem with that was 3 of those business were on the verge of going out of business and the other two had not sent out a package of any kind to any where in 10 years. I knew the sup had not discussed possible accounts with these places and then I was supposed to waste time following up on those worthless leads.

But your sup made his numbers AND made you look like a fool for saying there were no lead potentials on your route. He went back to his boss and bragged about turning in those five leads when you wouldn't.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
There is not enough space for me to post my 3 horror stories with BD. I will just say that if I had not had an excellant working relationship with customer, UPS would have lost all 3. Then I moved to a combo run, and my shipper was large enough that BD was down there twice a week in person, and when the shipper picked up the phone and called that they needed a trl or even a respot, guess who's phone rang? I made more in overtime then I did in 40 hours at the going rate.

UPSviking

WOW... Across the pond here it´s the same horror stories...... I guess it´s a global UPS problem....

I have always been amazed by the fact that we fight the same issues that you U.S. guys and girls have to deal with everyday, to me it seems like the whole company is ill globally.

DHL may have left the states, but over here they are kicking our butt :(

Dustyroads

There is not enough space for me to post my 3 horror stories with BD. I will just say that if I had not had an excellant working relationship with customer, UPS would have lost all 3. Then I moved to a combo run, and my shipper was large enough that BD was down there twice a week in person, and when the shipper picked up the phone and called that they needed a trl or even a respot, guess who's phone rang? I made more in overtime then I did in 40 hours at the going rate.
Likewise, you wouldn't believe the horror stories with the bd reps that work accounts in our building. Giving a lead to the particular acct rep that is assigned to all of my area is a guarantee that the lead won't be sold. It's sad. I've established a few accounts in my very, very rural area. When the high pressure, slick, big city salesman comes around, I have to do damage control for days, undoing the damage he has done. I've learned to simply go around the guy, and establish the account without his knowledge or assistance.

A good example of bd's work in our district: when the Kansas lottery was established in 1986, UPS became the carrier for all lottery tickets going to retailers. This account was such a gravy run. We'd drop a trailer off at the lottery building, it was just two blocks from our center. Then about 5 pm, one of our feeder drivers would run down there, pick the thing up, and spot it on a primary door, and when the unload shift came in, there was work waiting for the beginning of the shift. All of the packages went to commercial addresses, all of them were smalls, all of them went within the state line. How much easier could it be for ups? Geeez, most of them go to quick shops. Well, how could we screw this up? There was only one way. We assigned a bd person to that account who was arrogant, would not keep appointments, treated the people down at the lottery commission like they were his employees. So, the lottery commission opened the account for bidding, and surprise, FedEx ground won the bid. I spoke to the highest officials at the lottery, and this is what they said, it wasn't the money, although they were happy to save some money in the bid. It was the way they were treated, specifically, by their bd representative, that caused them to look for another way to ship their tickets. They told me, "we will not be treated that way."

And, how did our bd department respond? Well, they blamed it all on the lottery. They said that there was one individual at the lottery who "just didn't like ups" down there and that is why we lost the business, due to no fault of our own. We could never choke out an apology to the lottery commission, nor could we EVER accept responsibility for the actions of our bd rep.

Unfortunately, our reps often treat our customers like they were our employees. I think we all know what that means.

leastbest

LeastBest
I've been on the same route thirty one years and it is nearly all residential. I had a center manager tell me he wanted sales leads. I asked him how many he wanted a day as I would start on the first street and do ten houses and the next day ten more. I have a Giant Eagle grocery store and a Subway Restaurant as the biggest employers in Sheffield Lake. What can you do.