Sales leads

browniehound

I

I work hard not because I want to "make bonus" but because the contract and my own moral code obligates me to give my employer a fair days work for a fair days pay. I turn in sales leads not because I want points on an AMEX card, but because I want to help grow the business and provide jobs for my brother Teamsters.

Sober,
What a great post as you echoed my settiments exactly. I work hard to finish the route and get home. I put in sales leads to help the company I work for and I'd rather spend my time doing pick-ups than deliveries. The AMEX card is a bonus and great incentive.

However, if the AMEX card and "growth" program didn't exist, I would still try to steer our sales-reps to companies that use the competition. I want UPS to be here for another 50 years as much as anyone.

What gets under my skin is the "growth" sup. in my center asking for sales leads every week. I told him this 1 year ago about 6 months after I got on the route. I asked all my customers that used Fed-ex for contact info regarding a change to UPS. I entered that into the sales-lead screen of the DIAD.

I have about 25 business stops. These companies have not changed in the last 1.5 years, but the "sales-lead sup." wants 2 new leads a month?

How is this possible from 25 static businesses?

I hate to use a cliche', but he's beating a dead horse. When I see an opportunity I will bring it to his attention, but please get off my case for something that is out of my control.

Thank You,
Brownie

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I wish I had known this yesterday. :dissapointed: We got an ODS yesterday saying we had to turn in sales leads. Of course it was sent response required. I sent back give me time to get them. Got a message back, just bring in a business card we will take care of the rest.

I just shook my head.

Several hours later, another ODS, how many sales leads did you get.

my response- 000000000000

If I had known this yesterday my response would have been completely different.:surprised:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The PCM sheet I read said basically "To save money and prevent discontinuing the program, UPS is changing Take Charge"

ground leads per package just went from 5 points to 1 point. I believe the point system got cut into 1/4s on average.

No more cash value to high point leads

where's the incentive

City Driver

where's the incentive

i strongly agree with soberups on what he said.....the incentive isnt necessarily a cash bonus, althought its nice....the incentive is to not end up like GM, DHL, or any of the other businesses that are laying off heavily or going under

as screwed up as some of our policies are, and as much as i cant stand alot of the management team, that doesnt matter, i still want this company to make money, and lots of it....sure theres greed at the top, they get a hell of a lot more then we do, but we get our fair share....and the more money they make, the safer our jobs become in my opinion

Has anyone gone on to upsers.com today? There is a new take charge posting. It is now cutting the point system on all new leads and doing away with the credit cards and will now be giving gas cards etc instead.

This takes place for all rewards that are to be issued starting this month. No wonder UPS has not paid us any of our sales lead monies that we have coming.

They preach, beg us to turn in sales leads to gain the business and offer us one thing but plan on changing its plan midstream. My center alone has 61 new sales leads this year and no one is being paid, so now tomorrow morning I will file the grievance on this.

Good luck getting future sales leads in the near future! Now the sales reps will actually have to chase FedEx trucks!

Not to be disrespectful but, I do not understand the point. How can you file a grievance on something that was never negotiated? I believe UPS came up with this plan so, they can take it away at any time. As to volume development, the perk of getting paid for it was nice but, in reality, isn't it just part of the job we've been getting paid to perform in the fist place.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The thing that I don't like is that if we don't hand in a lead, we are harrassed. These companies have heard of us. We have been around 101 years and we have one of the most recognizable brands in the world.

These companies don't use us for many reasons. We screwed them in the strike. We may charge more than others. We damaged too many boxes for their liking. And now we pick them up at the same time everyday but we'll deliver whenever we feel like up to 5pm.

I have had 6 sales leads this year alone and all 6 want to stay with Fed-Ex (ground) because they have had no problems with THEIR service. What am I suppose to keep on pestering them for their money or keep on having a salesmen bug them.

For example, I have Comcast for cable and internet. I KNOW about Direct TV. I KNOW about Dish Network. I KNOW about Verizon Fios. I will pay more for Comcast because I enjoy their service and have not been screwed by them yet. This is exactly how Fed-Ex customers feel.

If we want their business, UPS needs to put delivery first and the bottom line secondary. I can understand delivering Xmas gifts at 830pm because of volume. I WONT understand it when I'm doing it in August because they needed to cut 2 routes out. Service will win everytime and I don't see UPS selling that to the world in this economy.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
i strongly agree with soberups on what he said.....the incentive isnt necessarily a cash bonus, althought its nice....the incentive is to not end up like GM, DHL, or any of the other businesses that are laying off heavily or going under

as screwed up as some of our policies are, and as much as i cant stand alot of the management team, that doesnt matter, i still want this company to make money, and lots of it....sure theres greed at the top, they get a hell of a lot more then we do, but we get our fair share....and the more money they make, the safer our jobs become in my opinion

No no, I agree.

I have been told to attract sales leads ON MY OWN PERSONAL TIME. Sheesh, that sounds a bit bullying to say the least. It simply is not worth drumming up leads while I'm having dinner with the family at a resturaunt or out doing errands unless I am getting PAID to do it. Just imo.

Also, the whole point about getting rammed with 11 hour days. Why would anyone want to start soliciting business on the job when they already can't get in before 8pm, running around with a flashlight after dark delivering housecalls?
If sales leads on personal time were treated and paid differently than on paid time I'd see this differently. And if UPS started hiring a few more covers, or sending out laid off covers to reduce the hours from the people who don't want them, I could support the idea more.

Otherwise I see as a driver or any type of service provider (air, counter, etc) as simply the nice timely man or woman who delivers your package. The sales lead idea would work if UPS gave drivers an 8 hour day and 1/2 hour to solicit leads. If you are over 9.5 hours nearly every day and not happy with it, what is the incentive to get sales leads to make it a 10 hour day?

The thing that I don't like is that if we don't hand in a lead, we are harrassed. These companies have heard of us. We have been around 101 years and we have one of the most recognizable brands in the world.

These companies don't use us for many reasons. We screwed them in the strike. We may charge more than others. We damaged too many boxes for their liking. And now we pick them up at the same time everyday but we'll deliver whenever we feel like up to 5pm.

I have had 6 sales leads this year alone and all 6 want to stay with Fed-Ex (ground) because they have had no problems with THEIR service. What am I suppose to keep on pestering them for their money or keep on having a salesmen bug them.

For example, I have Comcast for cable and internet. I KNOW about Direct TV. I KNOW about Dish Network. I KNOW about Verizon Fios. I will pay more for Comcast because I enjoy their service and have not been screwed by them yet. This is exactly how Fed-Ex customers feel.

If we want their business, UPS needs to put delivery first and the bottom line secondary. I can understand delivering Xmas gifts at 830pm because of volume. I WONT understand it when I'm doing it in August because they needed to cut 2 routes out. Service will win everytime and I don't see UPS selling that to the world in this economy.

I have had my sup way back when tell me there is a fine line between production and service and both can be met. I somewhat agree but, once you put the bottomline as secondary what makes you think you will have the pkgs available to put delivery first?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I have had my sup way back when tell me there is a fine line between production and service and both can be met. I somewhat agree but, once you put the bottomline as secondary what makes you think you will have the pkgs available to put delivery first?

FED-EX does it

actually FED-EX air does it, I probably couldn't say the same for ground

tourists24

I ended this problem years ago... I dont do sales leads.... when they demand one, they will get something. they are on us enough about our overallowed as it is.... I deliver and pickup... we have sales reps for leads... part of our "team" effort. Right now they are pushing a production termination case in our local. Ask that driver if he will ever give them another sales lead

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Attention 705RED as long as you get your check every friday UPS is fullfilling it's obligation to you. Instead of spending what seems like every spare minute you have on bad mouthing UPS, why dont you try to focus on the positive things UPS does for you. I could spend my spare time on pointing out just as many bad things about the union that you do UPS, the difference is that every friday UPS actually has to pay me for my effort. Where're my doughnuts from the union for trying to convince Fed-Ex employees to back the new leglislation, what about an AMEX card from my local to try and get customers to not only ship through union companys but recieve packages via union companys. So are you going to support my complaints on these issues and join me on picketing the union on these issues, well are you 705RED?

UPS_UK

Brown Brown & more Brown
Sounds like the same kind of reward scheme we have here in the UK. A couple of my local drivers have put in a few that I have managed to convert into new business.

One driver has got himself a Sony LCD 32" TV, new mountain bike and an iPod.....all for a couple of questions to some customers.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We received an ODS today. Anyone that brought in a sales lead today would get a set of coffee mugs. Can't beg, borrow or steal a sales lead........................maybe bribery will work. :whiteflag:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Not to be disrespectful but, I do not understand the point. How can you file a grievance on something that was never negotiated? I believe UPS came up with this plan so, they can take it away at any time. As to volume development, the perk of getting paid for it was nice but, in reality, isn't it just part of the job we've been getting paid to perform in the fist place.
Because UPS changed its current program on 8/12/09 but dated it back until the end of June. From July 1st through August 11th every sales lead turned in should still fall under the previous plan. But it doesn't! And this is a grievable offense.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Attention 705RED as long as you get your check every friday UPS is fullfilling it's obligation to you. Instead of spending what seems like every spare minute you have on bad mouthing UPS, why dont you try to focus on the positive things UPS does for you. I could spend my spare time on pointing out just as many bad things about the union that you do UPS, the difference is that every friday UPS actually has to pay me for my effort. Where're my doughnuts from the union for trying to convince Fed-Ex employees to back the new leglislation, what about an AMEX card from my local to try and get customers to not only ship through union companys but recieve packages via union companys. So are you going to support my complaints on these issues and join me on picketing the union on these issues, well are you 705RED?
I see you fall under 710s jurisdiction! I have no complaints about the Teamsters here in these neck of the woods, so let me know if you would like me to help you picket PAT!