Sales Mandated to Follow and Write Up Drivers

In case you were unaware the sales force has been tasked with following and filling out at least one driver evaluation a month. They are to evaluate such things as if you use diad or cell phone while driving, obey speed limits and signs, wear seatbelt, smoke, honk before backing, spend extra time at stop before/after the pickup/delivery or perform dangerous maneuvers. This is not a complete list but gives you the general idea. This was floated to sales early in the year and there was a mini revolt of sorts by sales. The sales people don't want to be put in this position as it obviously could open them up to retaliation. I also feel that since I do not drive I have no business evaluating the driver in his duties. I understand speeding or running a stop sign but not why he was in the truck for what I feel might be too long. In the end most sales people will knock these out with positive results but you should know they have been tasked to do this which begs the question, "who else in this company has been tasked with the same evaluation". Talk to your reps and get their side and realize they are just pawns in the UPS game by a spineless management too cheap to hire proper trainers or safety people. I would ask the Union if a negative evaluation could be held against you when the person doing the evaluation is not qualified to do said evaluation. That would be like upper management evaluating each other, none of them are qualified to be in the positions they hold so how can they possibly evaluate another executive?

bigbrownhen

Atmosphere of distrust and intimidation. Basicly harrasment. What UPS needs is respect among hourly and managment, both sides. Not "KGB" like attitude.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Atmosphere of distrust and intimidation. Basically harassment. What UPS needs is respect among hourly and management, both sides. Not "KGB" like attitude.

For what it is worth, this type of stuff does not occur with non-Union hourly employees and management employees.
There is respect and a sense of directed efforts as long as the employees are not Union.
It is unfortunate that this cooperative feeling does not exist between Union employees and management employees.

DS

Fenderbender
For what it is worth, this type of stuff does not occur with non-Union hourly employees and management employees.
There is respect and a sense of directed efforts as long as the employees are not Union.
It is unfortunate that this cooperative feeling does not exist between Union employees and management employees.
Sorry but I disagree ,the majority of drivers are out there doing good things,the only ones you hear about are the bad things.
Management sets the tone for any cooperation between themselves and the employee,they just have no clue how to accomplish this
without using the work as directed attitude.Sorry for the rant but this really irks me.The decision makers decide that we are losing most
of the profit in operations.Lets hire more IE professionals to make things more efficient and keep everyone under 9.5.
They should rename us because service provider does not apply anymore.
The "s" is missing and I would not be surprised if a new delivery company started up that actually cared.
OK quick look at todays PCM....It's still busy,everyone is still shopping online,they forgot Christmas is over.
Every driver has 25 more stops than their max...sup sez...we want everyone back here by 7pm with full break taken on road.
(laughter)if not we need a phone call by 1pm.Our oncall cutoff time is 6:30 pm so....DUH
I punched out at 7:55pm...respect and cooperation had nothing to do with it,but I did all my pickups and had no missed.
OK I'm done

Im not going to worry about it....this is the ONLY trucking co. Ive worked for that you never ever see or hear of a saleperson calling on a customer,I know we have a couple because I see them hanging around the terminal on Mon.mornings

O

OldSnake63

because of the lack in adopted procedures and being stuck in that old "overnite" mentality ups has had to use extreme measures to get the freight side up to par . its hard to teach an old dog new tricks . this is not new in my area its been going on for years . and also pkg salesmen are watching freight drivers . at my hub each supervisor has to do evaluations on the employees .wether in a truck or on forklift . i dont mind i think its a good thing . its all safety related . be safe and try to get into some good habits and everthing will be alright . now if you are being harresed then get with a steward , otherwise get use to it .... from what i hear from the small pk guys its the same across the board

old levi's

blank space
I wasn't worried anyway. There are no sales people out and about, ergo there would be no observation.
Ask yourself this: How many years has it been since you saw someone from sales on area actively interacting with your customers. There you go!

I am with you. I think mgmt. has to have somthing for them to do, because they don't seem to be calling on customers. Guess that is an added duty to take them away from what their primary job should be. Why should they be any different than the rest of us.

O

OldSnake63

salesmen are milking it more than than any of us !!! I caught one in my area sleeping. i pulled over knocked on his window and asked him for some pros ... lol, we use to have a ops mgr go in his office lock the door and go to sleep . so i like to play the game too !

BBAK

Banned
Either way, it's not right. As stated above, those evaluations should be done by trained management personel.

Management is just as clueless.

I have heard (and I'm sure somebody will either verify or deny this) that small pack requires most/all of their management to have a CDL. Most of our UPS Freight management couldn't even figure out where to put the key.

Hell, our assistant terminal manager doesn't even have a drivers license because of DUIs. His wife has to take him to work. Yet they preach to us about how to drive.

BBAK

Banned
Small package does not require their mgt to have a CDL.

OK, so it was a rumor. I kind of figured it was.

But I do know for a fact that your feeder drivers get ride alongs, so at least your management team gets to see what it is like to be behind the wheel.

One time, a driver was involved in an accident and I happened to be in dispatch at the time. It was minor but he was placed out of service pending investigation. I was the lucky driver that got to go and pick up the rig. A supervisor drove me down there in her personal car. She is constantly preaching safety all good kids like milk blah blah blah, and she ended up being one of the worst drivers I've ever rode with. She was tailgating and speeding and talking on her phone.

BBAK

Banned
Only those in charge of drivers. Dispatch and all others do not.

I went to the legendary Cach hub during the 2 weeks I drove the feeders.....The lady on the phone at the gate gave me trailer numbers for a set to hook. I asked if they were both ready and she said yes. Nobody explained the ribbon system to me. I hooked up and pulled a trailler away from the dock a few feet while they were still loading. Two other UPS Freight drivers did the same thing on the same day. Whoops.