Sales up, hiring stagnant.

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by kingOFchester, Nov 23, 2012.

1. kingOFchester

kingOFchester Well-Known Member

"United Parcel Service expects its holiday shipments to jump by 9.8% this year.".................."UPS said it will hire 55,000 seasonal workers in the United States to handle the increased shipments, about the same number it hired last year."

UPS: Holiday shipments to rise 9.8% - Oct. 30, 2012

To add:

"Black Friday online sales already up 13%"

Black Friday Online Sales Already Up 13 Percent; 15 Percent Purchases Made From Mobile Phones | TechCrunch

OT will be rolling in this peak. Smiles will be abound at the Castle this year!

2. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Whatever I like helping out Santa anyway. He's a good guy.

3. ncamara

ncamara Member

So if there is a 9.8% jump in volume over last year, then why not hire more than the 55,000 seasonal workers to compensate? It's not like we had workers standing around with nothing to do...

4. kingOFchester

kingOFchester Well-Known Member

That was my point. Crazy because we had a rough peak last year so I could only imagine what this year will be like with 10% more packages. We had trips sitting last year and rolling trailers over as it was last year

5. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

We work at UPS, do you believe any number they release?

6. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Active Member

7. undies

undies Active Member

Supposedly, every route and base route will be in Monday in my center. I'll believe when I see it.

8. upser92

upser92 Member

I got overtime loading every day last week, working 6.5 hours on Monday apparently. Be nice to rake in extra cash

9. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

I am believing it for Monday. Just took my daughter to the airport to go back to school. Went by the center and there are 6 trailers parked and 3 on doors. Non peak weekend, there might be 2 on doors and 2 in the lot.

10. wornoutupser

wornoutupser Active Member

I get to load most of my own run almost daily. My manager must think that my pay is cheaper than a preloader! Easy OT!

11. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

we were told the same at our center Friday.We were even told to be prepared to work 830am to 1030pm Wednesday as the forecast showed volume up 14% from that day last year:happy-very:

12. Paycheck

Paycheck New Member

More with less.....Thats's Logistics!

13. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Ill work till 10:30 if I have to. It's not my first peak I've been around. It is what it is. By February you will have forgotten.

14. upser92

upser92 Member

Haha unless that preloader has been there for 40 years, probably not

15. cino321

cino321 Active Member

What's good for UPS is good for us guys, let's not forget the hand that feeds us, as greedy as it may be. At the end of the day we want UPS to do well.

16. PT Stewie

PT Stewie "Big Fella"

Buy stock

17. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Uh cyber Monday sales way up!!! Almost up 30% from last year. I see a whole lot of $$$$$$$ boys and girls.