Salting the Cars

oldngray

nowhere special
They use real "live" packages for Salts, and sometimes fake ones. The Salt can "show up" in your truck at any point during the day...while in a resturaunt etc., any time, even after you return to the bldg! Here is a link and a quote from a case where a driver was fired and subsequently won a $6,000,000 lawsuit against UPS (later appealed, final disposition unknown). Text in anything unusual and ask for guidance.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/fl-district-court-of-appeal/1413366.html

"To prove his claim that UPS terminated him under false pretenses, as part of its plan to target “injury repeaters”, plaintiff presented the deposition testimony of a former UPS supervisor, Guy Findeisen.   Findeisen testified that he had worked at a UPS center in Hialeah as a driver and supervisor until he left in 1987.   He said that when he was there, his supervisor, Bill Hughes, taught him a way to set up an undesirable employee for termination through a “presheet audit,” and that that he had personally “built the case” for truckers to be terminated through a fraudulent presheet audit.   Findeisen explained how he would remove a package from the driver's truck after it had already been loaded and then falsify the records to make it appear that the driver had not bothered to deliver it.   He testified as follows:

How the presheet audit, how the fabrication went.   I go into your truck, I pick out five, six areas.   Again, this time the package, one of the small packages, ABC, make sure it has a sequence number on it.   I would hide it in my drawer.   When the driver came back that night, I would say look Juan or whatever, you have a presheet audit, here are the numbers I'm looking for, I'll be back in minute ․ go back in the truck, take the package and throw it back in again ․ He's definitely going to come up one short because it was not in the truck, so when that happened, it became an integrity problem.

Findeisen testified that he did this about five times and that he knew of at least two employees who were discharged as a result.   He said he also knew other supervisors at his facility who had set up drivers in this same way, and that it was an “unwritten rule at UPS” and “an easy way to get rid of somebody.”   Findeisen testified that when he heard about the plaintiff's termination, he recognized that it was the exact same method he used to terminate employees. "

Preloader can tell a driver if a sup is messing around inside their car doing a presheet audit. Those audits can be bogus anyway because the sup can't prove what happened to packages after he was in the car. The preloader or driver may have seen and pulled off the misload and put on the car it should be loaded on.

Future

Victory Ride
They been salting the load past 5yrs in my building....who cares really...just do what your suppose to do with a misload

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
If they want to can you they will find a way. They have over complicated this job to the point that just doing the job will violate some metric somewhere.

oldngray

nowhere special
If they want to can you they will find a way. They have over complicated this job to the point that just doing the job will violate some metric somewhere.

They can't get you for production but if they want to get rid of someone they will find another excuse.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How does that work when the preloaders are still loading after drivers start on most days?

I am not talking about the scan done during the preload----I am talking about the preload sup going through a package car using a handheld scanner to scan a handful of packages.

It would take all of two seconds for the preload sup to toss the salt in to the load.

Z

ZQXC

Whenever I have an EAM, I leave the bldg. and drive 40 minutes to my delivery area while some of my dispatched pkgs. are still being unloaded from the trailers. Those days always become a cluster****, as you can imagine.

Future

Victory Ride
A little side note to all this....after informing office of finding a misload....make sure you do what they instruct you to do with misload.....driver called in misload, was told to deliver, he did not, scanned at building upon his return as NI1......fired for 3 weeks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A little side note to all this....after informing office of finding a misload....make sure you do what they instruct you to do with misload.....driver called in misload, was told to deliver, he did not, scanned at building upon his return as NI1......fired for 3 weeks

...and do not take it upon yourself as Sober suggests and sheet it as missed...set the package to the side and wait for them to tell you what they want you to do with it...

oldngray

nowhere special

That is always fun when the misload is a business you can't get to before they close. Management will say the usual "You have to deliver it". You telling them that if you break off to deliver that misload will cause more missed pieces on your route won't do any good because its something they refuse to hear. So call it in and do a late drive by that business stop and sheet it as missed since it is a closed after 5. Stupid but covers your own butt.