Same Day Amazon Prime starts in Atlanta

OptimusPrime

Straight up question: how long does UPS let this go before the deep discounts Amazon enjoys disappear?

I'm more curious as to the stupid discounts that they apparently give to Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn. We should never be shipping these 10-15 piece deliveries that can take up 25% of a package car, and ruin your day because you have to deliver them off trace.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Its all right with me if Amazon keeps all 200 lbs. of stuff like this.
108.JPG

bbsam

Staff member
The deep discounts are volume based.
If Amazon does not give UPS the volume, the discounts are reduced.
ouch. So Amazon keeps 2500 Atlanta stops and makes it up with 2500 across South Dakota, North Dakota and Minnesota? That hardly makes sense for Brown.

Overpaid Union Thug

Its all right with me if Amazon keeps all 200 lbs. of stuff like this.View attachment 16251
Don't worry. I don't see Prime Pantry lasting long. Once people compare the costs vs actually going out and buying the crap in a grocery store or Walmart they all think twice. Especially the avid coupon clippers.

My wife and I sat down one night and compared and quickly figured out that it just wasn't practical or cheaper. Right now its a new thing and the people that haven't really taken the time to research it are the ones trying it out. That or they are too lazy to drive to their local grocery store/Walmart or live REALLY far away from one.

Sent using BrownCafe App

OptimusPrime

Don't worry. I don't see Prime Pantry lasting long. Once people compare the costs vs actually going out and buying the crap in a grocery store or Walmart they all think twice. Especially the avid coupon clippers.

My wife and I sat down one night and compared and quickly figured out that it just wasn't practical or cheaper. Right now its a new thing and the people that haven't really taken the time to research it are the ones trying it out. That or they are too lazy to drive to their local grocery store/Walmart or live REALLY far away from one.

Sent using BrownCafe App

For us it's not the money savers using it. It's the Richie Rich types who can't be bothered by the unwashed masses at the supermarket. The same :censored2:bags ordering truck loads of Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware.

Overpaid Union Thug

For us it's not the money savers using it. It's the Richie Rich types who can't be bothered by the unwashed masses at the supermarket. The same :censored2:bags ordering truck loads of Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware.

I haven't seen any rich people receive Prime Pantry. Most rich people (and I mean truly rich and not the "house rich/money poor" types) are at the very least just as likely to look for the better deals on certain things as anyone else. Thats how they they can splurge on others. Such as Pottery Barn and Restoration hardware. That approach is one of the many reasons why those people become rich and stay rich. I see oat of them staying away from Prime Pantry if they take the time to compare the costs.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I haven't seen any rich people receive Prime Pantry. Most rich people (and I mean truly rich and not the "house rich/money poor" types) are at the very least just as likely to look for the better deals on certain things as anyone else. Thats how they they can splurge on others. Such as Pottery Barn and Restoration hardware. That approach is one of the many reasons why those people become rich and stay rich. I see oat of them staying away from Prime Pantry if they take the time to compare the costs.
Some of the items are deals compared to regular prices at grocery stores, but with little effort you can beat the prices and not pay 5.99 (prime members) 8.99.

bbsam

Staff member
So is there anyone in Atlanta who can clue us in as to how much volume drops in the coming weeks? UPS seems to have a calm face on, but I have to believe that is likely not the case.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So is there anyone in Atlanta who can clue us in as to how much volume drops in the coming weeks? UPS seems to have a calm face on, but I have to believe that is likely not the case.

I had 250 packages for our local college warehouse yesterday-----at least 1/3 of those were Amazon while at least 1/5 were from Cheggs.

bbsam

Staff member
I had 250 packages for our local college warehouse yesterday-----at least 1/3 of those were Amazon while at least 1/5 were from Cheggs.
If Amazon employs a strategy of "in house" delivery only for densely populated areas, many areas might not see a lot of difference. But large metropolitan areas could see drastic reductions in volume I would think.