same day delivery

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2013/03/05/e-tailers-embrace-same-day-delivery-but-us-shoppers-shrug-survey/

This is a very small market that most certainly won't put us out of business.

Returntosender

Decades ago UPS mangement had the same view about RPS. Which is now Fed Ex ground. FYI Google is also attempting to get into game by offering same day delievery in select cities. Montley fool money talks about it. If Amazon prime goes sameday by end of day for orders place before 11am in slect cities. Amazon is going to have thier fleet justt for that service.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I already offer same-day delivery on my area. If I pickup a package that is addressed to a consignee on my area 9 times out of 10 I will deliver it that day. This doesn't happen very often---usually only when the college bookstore sends out their text orders----but it drives my center manager crazy when I do it.:wink2:

I already offer same-day delivery on my area. If I pickup a package that is addressed to a consignee on my area 9 times out of 10 I will deliver it that day. This doesn't happen very often---usually only when the college bookstore sends out their text orders----but it drives my center manager crazy when I do it.:wink2:
I'd laugh my ass off if he fired you for it.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Doesn't matter. Long ago, before you even dreamed of working at UPS, I had a route that I could occasionally do the same thing. I was told in no uncertain terms not to, and this was on paper.

I'd love to see the tracking on one of your 'same-day' deliveries.

1080Driver

Before there was tracking as we have today, I'd often pickup a 1-shot addressed to another stop I'd get to later on in the day, I asked the manager if I should deliver it same day & he said "NO, they're paying for it to go thru the system & we don't do same day" I don't recall hearing a change in offered services; sounds like you're looking for trouble Upstate

bumped

UPS offers same day service also. Its called Sonic Air, but we as delivery drivers never touch it. Pretty damn expensive I'm sure.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Just curious as to why it would be frowned upon? If they pay for the service, regardless of if we deliver it the same day or the next day, aren't they still paying the same?

Just Lurking

It drives him crazy because it screws up the closed loop billing. The billing system does not look for delivery on the day that a package was shipped. Anyone want to guess how I know that this was true (at least at one time).

I did it once and will never do it again. Too much paperwork and time wasted. Probably even cost the company money and effort by the time grievance procedure was done.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just curious as to why it would be frowned upon? If they pay for the service, regardless of if we deliver it the same day or the next day, aren't they still paying the same?

It's not the cost----it is the fact that the package never entered our system, which relies on a series of scans to support their closed loop billing process. I picked the packages up and had them all delivered within 15 minutes.