Same sex partner benefits

package

I have heard that if you have a same sex partner who is either married or in a civil union or domestic partnership that person is eligible for health benefits. Would anyone happen to know if this only applies to same sex people whose relationship is recognized by the state they work in? For example, if me and my partner get married in Iowa and then go back to Ohio where it is illegal, will UPS still give my partner health benefits?

Thanks for the help

UPSGUY72

I have heard that if you have a same sex partner who is either married or in a civil union or domestic partnership that person is eligible for health benefits. Would anyone happen to know if this only applies to same sex people whose relationship is recognized by the state they work in? For example, if me and my partner get married in Iowa and then go back to Ohio where it is illegal, will UPS still give my partner health benefits?

Thanks for the help
If your state doesn't required that an employer to give benifits to samesex couple than I would say no anyways you wounldn't be considered married in your state. Go to your state web site and do a search you'll have better luck finding the right awnser.

Last edited by a moderator:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We need to negotiate language into the next contract that grants same-sex partner benefits. Its the right thing to do.

P

pickup

We need to negotiate language into the next contract that grants same-sex partner benefits. Its the right thing to do.

now this thread is just teetering on the edge of a cliff with this post. Watch what will follow in the wake of your post , sober.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree but only in that such coverage is offered in those states that recognize same sex marriages. This coverage should have the same 18 month delay. The contract language should be such that if any states were to officially recognize same sex marriages during the contract then employees in those states would be offered coverage (after the 18 month delay) and would not have to wait for the next contract.

beentheredonethat

This coverage should have the same 18 month delay. The contract language should be such that if any states were to officially recognize same sex marriages during the contract then employees in those states would be offered coverage (after the 18 month delay) and would not have to wait for the next contract.
Upstate, if you are talking a new employee I agree they would have to wait 18 months like everyone else. But if you are a current employee and have been around past 18 months and then get married, isn't your suppose on your insurance immediately? I thought the 18 month wait was for new hires only and not for a seasoned UPS'er who just got married. Either way, the wait time should be the same for any other new spouse.

UPS does offer same sex partner benifits, if your married or not. I live in Florida and just added my partner onto my insurance. He gets the same coverage as normal dependents do. And we are not legally married.

tieguy

Banned
now this thread is just teetering on the edge of a cliff with this post. Watch what will follow in the wake of your post , sober.

I don't know the BC community seems to be pretty open minded when this topic comes up. My question when you grant same sex benifits has always been the hows. Without the marriage cpmtract how do you know your not providing health benifits to someones roomate or even renter.

package

UPS does offer same sex partner benifits, if your married or not. I live in Florida and just added my partner onto my insurance. He gets the same coverage as normal dependents do. And we are not legally married.

That is good to hear. My state foolishly passed a bill that banned same sex marriage AND civil unions, but I see Florida did as well, and seeing that UPS still offer benefits is encouraging.

I plan on talking to HR but I wanted to see if anyone had any information beforehand, I didn't want to out myself, and then find out my partner is not eligible for benefits.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't know the BC community seems to be pretty open minded when this topic comes up. My question when you grant same sex benifits has always been the hows. Without the marriage cpmtract how do you know your not providing health benifits to someones roomate or even renter.
That's a good question.

soundwave, what kind of documentation did you have to provide UPS in order to get get your partner added to your insurance? I'm assuming they wanted some sort of verification that it wasn't just your room mate.

That is a good point, it sounds to me like an even better reason for states to legalize same sex domestic partnerships or same sex marriage. It seems to me that many people who are against gay marriage or civil unions aren't necessarily against partners receiving health coverage like married couples do. Civil unions or gay marriage, would help prevent people taking advantage of health benefits.

beentheredonethat

That is a good point, it sounds to me like an even better reason for states to legalize same sex domestic partnerships or same sex marriage. It seems to me that many people who are against gay marriage or civil unions aren't necessarily against partners receiving health coverage like married couples do. Civil unions or gay marriage, would help prevent people taking advantage of health benefits.
This is always a tough subject and people get very heated with their opinion. I believe that same sex civil unions s/b made available to all who are in a committed relationship. I do have a problem with using the term marriage, since that term has been used for thousands of years and relates (originally) to a religous ceremony. That being said, companies should offer the same benefits for those in a civil union. However, to protect the companies, their needs to be some kind of legal civil union\marriage to prove you are in a relationship. The company shouldn't pay for a room mate, or a friend. That's not right. My last point on this, is that I believe that this kind of change s/b voted on by the people and not by appointed judges. I don't like the idea of judges legislating from the bench.

705red

Browncafe Steward
[FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold]ARTICLE 36.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Bold]
[FONT=Calibri,Bold]NON-DISCRIMINATION[/FONT]
[/FONT]The Employer and the Union agree not to discriminate against any individual with respect to hiring, compensation, terms or

conditions of employment because of such individual's race, color, religion, sex,
[FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold]sexual orientation, [/FONT][/FONT]national origin, [FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold]disability[/FONT][/FONT], veteran status, or age in violation of any federal or state law, or engage in any other discriminatory acts prohibited by law,
nor

[FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold]shall [/FONT][/FONT]they limit, segregate or classify employees in any way to deprive any individual employees of employment opportunities
because of race, color, religion, sex,

[FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold]sexual orientation, [/FONT][/FONT]national origin, , [FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold]disability, [/FONT][/FONT]veteran status, or age in violation of any
federal or state law, or engage in any other discriminatory acts prohibited by law. This Article also covers employees with a qualified
disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

[FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold]Employer agrees that spousal benefit under this Agreement shall be applicable[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Bold]
[FONT=Calibri,Bold]to same sex partnerships.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri,Bold]Our contract covers same sex benefits and we had a huge request for it during contract talks. We do not have gay marriage here, and the biggest complaint I have heard is its not right for Tom not to be able to insure his girlfriend Jenny, but Bob can insure his boyfriend Frank. Pros and cons, Tom has the option to put a ring on Jenny's finger, while Bob and Frank dont have that right. [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri,Bold]I am a Catholic, and do not believe in gay marriage, but what 2 adults do in the privacy of their residence is not my business. I dont think anyone should be making out in public places where kids can see them. Thats the dad in me coming out! lol[/FONT]
[/FONT]

UPSGIRLJOCK

UPS has nothing to do with benefits provided for domestic partners. I live in northern California and took this fight to UPS about the benefits for domestic partners. I was surprised that UPS was really responsive about the fact that they have no problem providing insurance benefits for my partner, BUT they do not control how and who the insurance is distributed...our union does.
That is where you need to start your fight. I had to fight for 4 years, but I didn't give up. and won...not only for me and my partner , but for all memebers of my local.
I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Ms.PacMan

Thanks for the help

It might depend on whether your local has Teamster insurance or UPS insurance.

Based on the replies it looks as if Teamster insurance does not allow same sex partner coverage?

UPS insurance (for Teamsters) does allow coverage for all domestic partners I believe, not just same sex. They included domestic partners (with or without marriage) a couple of years ago.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Its a valid concern, and until gay marriage is fully legalized it will still be theoretically possible to defraud the system. But then again....as a straight man I could go get drunk, pick up an 18 yr old stripper in Vegas, take her down to the Drive-In-Chapel of the Velvet Elvis and have me a nice, legal "marriage" that would allow me to confer all those same pension and medical benefits onto my lucky bride with no questions asked.

There is a same sex domestic partner benefit packet that the UPS benefit center will send you. You can also find it on UPSERS.com In the packet is a same sex domestic partner affidavit form you have to fill out. You also must show proof that you live together. I had a lease with both my and my partners name on it. Just make a copy and send in. It is pretty straight forward. No pun intended. If you don't have a lease or mortgage together, there are other documents that are listed in the packet to help prove you are together. Just call the benefits center and they will walk you through it.

I think it is great that UPS offers this. Times are changing for the better for us in the GLT community.