San Diego lawsuit

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a driver who had become a liability to the company as she had a tendency to hit things (i.e. cars) while she was driving. She had 3 Tier 3's. Rather than terminating her the union and company agreed that they would create a 22.3 position for her which would be dissolved upon her retirement/separation. She did lose about $8/hr when she accepted the position.

If they can create a job for her in this situation surely they could have done something for this guy. I have never been a gang member but have watched enough Law and Order to know that if you witness a gang execution you had best have your head on a swivel.

BTW, PTSD is not "medical mumbo-jumbo".

W

want to retire

We had a driver who had become a liability to the company as she had a tendency to hit things (i.e. cars) while she was driving. She had 3 Tier 3's. Rather than terminating her the union and company agreed that they would create a 22.3 position for her which would be dissolved upon her retirement/separation. She did lose about $8/hr when she accepted the position.

If they can create a job for her in this situation surely they could have done something for this guy. I have never been a gang member but have watched enough Law and Order to know that if you witness a gang execution you had best have your head on a swivel.

BTW, PTSD is not "medical mumbo-jumbo".

The company could do just about anything in this situation. Including promoting him and on and on. BTW-Life is traumatic. This job is stressful and traumatic. We(wife) were on a road trip to a cousin's wedding Sat. We discussed possible retaliation about my illegal trailer event. More stress. Not as dramatic as witnessing and being involved in a murder but it all adds up. Stress. Trauma. Drama. Watching motorist, motorcyclist die right before your very eyes. 9-11-2001. Heart attacks. Senseless killing. Bottom line: it is interesting that a Doctor would put distance in a diagnosis. Specific miles? Don't you find that a bit odd? See? Life.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You're equating hauling an illegal trailer to possibly losing your life?

Sounds to me as though the driver suggested the 50 miles and the doctor agreed.

This is not like falling off your bike and getting right back on so as not to be scared of riding a bike.

Would you want to go to work each day not knowing if you will make it back to the building alive?

Indecisi0n

This is not like falling off your bike and getting right back on so as not to be scared of riding a bike.

Would you want to go to work each day not knowing if you will make it back to the building alive?

I go through this everyday during the week.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
My thoughts after reading the article :

1) Sounds like any possible route under him was within the 50 mile request so that seems why UPS/union had trouble with this

2) A medical doctor actually coming up with a 50 mile request sounds odd in itself, why not 20 miles or 30 from this area

3) I don't know about your centers, but we have no routes 50 miles from my center. Let alone, routes 50 miles away from each other. CT is very densly populated so that would be the reason, but any route 50 miles away from a city with gangs would 100% be a high seniority bid route.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Hoaxster, Moreluck, and everybody who is trying to make this a union problem...quit it.
Every route , in every center, is not a bid route.

The simple solution???
He forfeits his bid and goes back into the nonbid pool till he can bid a new route to his liking.
In the meantime, he works whatever route that is available within his within his doctors restrictions.

P.S. The article never says it was a bid route.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Bubblehead, hurricanerunner, and everybody who is trying to make this a company problem...quit it.
Every route, in every center, that is 50 miles from the center is a bid route.

The simple solution???
He forfeits his bid and goes back into the nonbid pool till he can bid a new route to his liking.
In the meantime, he works whatever route that is available within his within his doctors restrictions.

P.S. I agree but the Teamsters has to be a part of the solution as much as UPS does ... that was the gist of my posts.

W

want to retire

Yes I am.

Depends how traumatic your bicycle fall was.

I wonder what's going to happen every day at work. And yes, it's pretty dangerous work....considering.

Since when does a patient get to decide the parameters of a diagnosis? In all honesty: the driver stuck his neck out(I do think he is a hero) and realizes the jeopardy he has put himself and his family also. PTSD is real-no doubt. I just think it is odd and pretty obvious what the driver is trying to do. Comp, FMLA, welfare et all are necessary social safety nets. However.........they are abused, used and rife with fraud.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Hoaxster, Moreluck, and everybody who is trying to make this a union problem...quit it.
Every route , in every center, is not a bid route.

The simple solution???

P.S. The article never says it was a bid route.
My first sentence says it's about collective bargaining......that's union & company right? How does that read "union problem"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have no argument that comp, FMLA and welfare are abused. I also agree that it seems odd that the patient seems to be dictating the terms of the diagnosis.

Could/would you have simply walked away, not get involved, knowing that the victim was surely going to die?

Dark_Team_135

Under the ADA legitimate seniority/bidding clauses in contracts can be followed and companies don't have to circumvent these clauses to provide a reasonable accommodation. Employers that provide an accommodation which violates the seniority provisions of the contract will ultimately lose in court if challenged by the affected member or the Union. That being said, there is nothing that prevents the Union and company from agreeing on an accommodation that is fair for everyone and does not require other member's seniority rights to be violated...

W

want to retire

I have no argument that comp, FMLA and welfare are abused. I also agree that it seems odd that the patient seems to be dictating the terms of the diagnosis.

Could/would you have simply walked away, not get involved, knowing that the victim was surely going to die?

While I don't really know what I would have done(talk is cheap)......I've said repeatedly he is a hero......I don't think I could have walked away, no. Most likely would've done the same.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bubblehead, hurricanerunner, and everybody who is trying to make this a company problem...quit it.
Every route, in every center, that is 50 miles from the center is a bid route.

The simple solution???

P.S. I agree but the Teamsters has to be a part of the solution as much as UPS does ... that was the gist of my posts.

My first sentence says it's about collective bargaining......that's union & company right? How does that read "union problem"

All I'm saying is this, the collective bargaining agreement does not stand in the way of a reasonable solution to this problem.