San Diego routes

Hey all new to this forum so bare with me with my thread etiquette if it's off at any point in this question. So, first off I'm a brand new swing driver in upstate ny. I worked for ground here for almost two years jumped over to express as soon as I could great move for me so far. So, basically my question is this. I, signed a swing driver contract for 18 months and plan on serving all of it. However, when it's over I'd like to make a move to San Diego or near San Diego transferring hopefully to a full time courier job. Our routes here in upstate are so rural and spread out I can't stand it. I like quick pace fast moving routes with lots of stops and less driving. Could someone provide me if you could some insight on what being a courier is like in Southern California. Thanks

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hey all new to this forum so bare with me with my thread etiquette if it's off at any point in this question. So, first off I'm a brand new swing driver in upstate ny. I worked for ground here for almost two years jumped over to express as soon as I could great move for me so far. So, basically my question is this. I, signed a swing driver contract for 18 months and plan on serving all of it. However, when it's over I'd like to make a move to San Diego or near San Diego transferring hopefully to a full time courier job. Our routes here in upstate are so rural and spread out I can't stand it. I like quick pace fast moving routes with lots of stops and less driving. Could someone provide me if you could some insight on what being a courier is like in Southern California. Thanks
Warm.... Year round.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
San Diego and surrounding areas are so expensive you won't be able to live off your pay at fedex. You will need a second job.

MAKAVELI

San Diego and surrounding areas are so expensive you won't be able to live off your pay at fedex. You will need a second job.
It's all relative. You might be able to live off one job in Upstate NY but you can't beat the weather year round in SoCal on the coast and the women is another plus.;)

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I'm a ups driver. Born and raised in orange county which is just above San Diego county. I just transferred away from orange county up to Washington state because it was getting so expensive. Don't do it. The weather is nice in the winter. Waaaaay too hot in the summer the sun beats you down 9 months out of the year. Its too expensive and the cheaper areas away from the coast are crappy and not so cheap anymore.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
It's all relative. You might be able to live off one job in Upstate NY but you can't beat the weather year round in SoCal on the coast and the women is another plus.;)
Its not relative. Your money actually goes farther in different areas. With California state tax, massive cost of living and the most expensive gas and utilities, its hard. How much is a 1 bedroom apt. in so cal now. 1700 a month. You might make a dollar or 2 more an hour but with the state tax you will actually take home less.

Purplepackage

A guy I worked with showed me a picture from his buddy in a San Jose station, his power pad said 60 p1 and 186 p2 on his route one day last week lol

MAKAVELI

I'm a ups driver. Born and raised in orange county which is just above San Diego county. I just transferred away from orange county up to Washington state because it was getting so expensive. Don't do it. The weather is nice in the winter. Waaaaay too hot in the summer the sun beats you down 9 months out of the year. Its too expensive and the cheaper areas away from the coast are crappy and not so cheap anymore.
How easy is it to transfer at UPS?

MAKAVELI

Its not relative. Your money actually goes farther in different areas. With California state tax, massive cost of living and the most expensive gas and utilities, its hard. How much is a 1 bedroom apt. in so cal now. 1700 a month. You might make a dollar or 2 more an hour but with the state tax you will actually take home less.
It's relative in that you just have to decide for yourself what's important to you. For someone young and single, SoCal is a great place to live and work. For someone older and with a family, maybe not so much.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Like pulling teeth.
Dude your not in the western region. In the western region every October they put up a transfer list in your office. Your allowed to put 2 choices on it then they close the list November 1st. Come January they will start taking transfers when buildings start hiring. Its still a 6 to 1 ratio but it goes p/t to friend/t, transfer then off the street.

MAKAVELI

Dude your not in the western region. In the western region every October they put up a transfer list in your office. Your allowed to put 2 choices on it then they close the list November 1st. Come January they will start taking transfers when buildings start hiring. Its still a 6 to 1 ratio but it goes p/t to friend/t, transfer then off the street.
Still sounds kind of hard. Did you transfer on your first try?