San Jose CA - FT Driver wait time?

Marcus3457

Does anyone know how long the PT workers in the San Jose center are looking at for FT driving positions?

Most of my family lives in California and the only thing stopping me from going there is losing my senority.

I only have 1 year right now and it's around an 8 year wait for me here in AZ so, if the wait time is around 5 or less years in San Jose then it would still make sense for me to move there.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
I don't work in San Jose, but I work in the same district.

Last year we had PTs go driving with less than a year seniority. We hired a lot off the street. A lot of those guys are currently laid off but will be working again soon.

I can't say for sure, but given what I've seen I think your chances are pretty good that you'll get it within 5 years.

Also, in NorCal your progression begins the very first time you "touch ground"...so you may cover some ground pickups or bulk stops this peak and be topped out before you even go full time.

One caveat; it is VERY expensive to rent in the Bay Area. Absurd, even. Hopefully you family to live with out here, it is a struggle to get by without a hookup on rent.

I say go for it.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
PS - if you REALLY want it, try Oakland. Your chances are better and it's only a half hour from SJ.

There are a lot of buildings in the Bay Area for that matter, ask your HR for a list and put in transfers for as many as you can. Oakland, Sunnyvale, San B runo, San Francisco, Menlo Park to name a few within commuting distance...

Browndriver5

Ive always wondered do UPS drivers make the same nation wide? Because 80 grand a year is like being a millionaire in Wisconsin but if you made 80 grand a year in Cali it wouldn't be that great. How does that work

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Does anyone know how long the PT workers in the San Jose center are looking at for FT driving positions?

Most of my family lives in California and the only thing stopping me from going there is losing my senority.

I only have 1 year right now and it's around an 8 year wait for me here in AZ so, if the wait time is around 5 or less years in San Jose then it would still make sense for me to move there.
The wait time can change in a hurry. It was 5-6 when I started. I started driving in under 2. Had a buddy that wanted to finish school. Only had 1 year left. Ended up waiting almost 5 more than me to go full time.

Yeah not much different. But I would say the guys in the big cities don't complain too much about the hours. They need to work 12 hours a day.
I work to live. Not live to work.
You can do that when you are younger but time catches up to you.

And you miss a lot of things when you work like that.
One second your kids is born..

Next thing you know they graduated college.

TheKid99

I applied for San Jose, CA and almost got hired off the street full time package car driver if I wanted to move there and I stay in Michigan so I'm guessing it's not that long.

CaliforniaPaul

San Jose is delivered by Sunnyvale, stay away from Oakland its a smilet hole. North Bay in Richmond Ca has some upscale delivery areas. Wait times in those hubs are all similar.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I'm a driver out of the San Jose building. We have three centers and have somewhere around 250 routes. We deliver the cities of San Jose, Campbell, Coyote, Morgan Hill, San Martin, and Gilroy.

We currently have no drivers on layoff and we are actively training new drivers. We hired more drivers in the last two years then I've ever seen and that's including the wave of new hires we had with that 10000 new full timers promise.

Yes it's incredibly expensive in the Bay Area. Average rents for a three bedroom house can be $3000 a month. Ironically we had just had a Sup transfer out from Wisconsin and we were in disbelief knowing how much cheaper it must be there.

To answer the main question I would guess that your looking at 1 to 2 years to go full time but you've got to make sure it's worth it. As stated above our top scale is roughly the same everywhere, not including sick days, floaters, vacation weeks, and of course pensions.

One more thing....we are also in a drought.

UPSGUY72

Just a FYI if you quit and moved to San Jose there is no guarantee you would get hired. You could end up on the no rehire list as it has been known to happen. Just putting it out there.