Satellite Route

PackageDonkey

Box Delivery Man
We have a satellite driver that will be retiring this September after 33 years. If nobody bids on the route, can they force the lowest seniority driver to drive out in his own personal car to where his route starts? They are unsure if they are going to hire another driver, so it would be an existing driver that would do the route. When he is on vacation, we drive the route out of our center, which adds another 120 miles or so a day on it. Just wondering if they can force you to drive out there, or do you have the option of not taking the route? Thanks

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
In our area, if no one bids the route, it will be assigned to the lowest senior driver. If the low man is laid off a lot, the divers covering that route will get mileage as they did before, but not the bid/assigned driver. 120 miles? Yikes! Nice thing about satellites is the lack of pcm's.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This has bothered me for a while now....what the hell is a Satelite route? haha I seriously have not heard the term except on here and I'm lost. haha

Re-Raise

This has bothered me for a while now....what the hell is a Satelite route? haha I seriously have not heard the term except on here and I'm lost. haha

It is a route that goes around in circles similar to the way a satelite orbits the earth. They never actually deliver in any towns because that would mean leaving their "orbit".

Anyone who wants their packages has to travel out to the satelite route and flag them down on one of their circles. The only time the package car stops is to put in more fuel.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A satellite route is a route that does not dispatch out of the center. The pkg car is parked overnight at a location leased by UPS. The pkgs are brought to this location by another driver pulling a TP-60 (trailer). This driver will drop the trailer and come back in the evening to retrieve it and bring any pickup pieces back to the center. The sat driver loads his own pkg car, delivers the area, brings his pickup pieces and DIAD back to the trailer, secures the pkg car and goes home.

The ideal is for the sat driver to live close to the sat area as he reports directly to the sat area each day.

Cover drivers report to the center and then ride out to the sat route with the trailer driver.

There was talk of starting a sat area in my center. The pkg car was to be parked and serviced at a gas station on that area. The hope was that one of our employees who lived close to the sat area would bid that area. For some reason the area was never posted for bid during this bid cycle.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
A satellite route is a route that does not dispatch out of the center. The pkg car is parked overnight at a location leased by UPS. The pkgs are brought to this location by another driver pulling a TP-60 (trailer). This driver will drop the trailer and come back in the evening to retrieve it and bring any pickup pieces back to the center. The sat driver loads his own pkg car, delivers the area, brings his pickup pieces and DIAD back to the trailer, secures the pkg car and goes home.

The ideal is for the sat driver to live close to the sat area as he reports directly to the sat area each day.

Cover drivers report to the center and then ride out to the sat route with the trailer driver.

There was talk of starting a sat area in my center. The pkg car was to be parked and serviced at a gas station on that area. The hope was that one of our employees who lived close to the sat area would bid that area. For some reason the area was never posted for bid during this bid cycle.

Thanks for the information :)

I would love for our center to have one.....anything to not have to deal face to face with management lol

browniehound

Thank you Upstate for a most lucid explanation as I had no idea what a satellite route was either. If it wasn't for your post I would have had to believe Re-Raises' about the package car orbiting the galaxy or whatever nonsense he wrote, lol.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
We have 3 satellites in my center, I pull the tp60 for one of em. That driver's start time is 0945. By the time he gets his car loaded and fueled its about 10:45. Gives him about an hour and 15 minutes to get his air off. Then he beats himself to death to get as much as he can done before he has to break off to meet me at 17:30 to get his pu volume. Usually leaves him with about 20-30 stops to go and he averages about 7-8 sporh. Add a lunch in there and it puts him getting off between 21:00-22:00. Imagine what peak is like.....