Satellite Routes?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yuuup.
Just about dead center.
15 miles north and 18 minutes drive to my satellite center.
10 miles south and at least a half hour to the home center.

Our eight satellites started (four each) 50 and 70 miles away from the center.

And, for the most part, the drivers lived on their routes.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

...he then puts his pickup pieces and DIAD in the trailer for the shuttle driver to bring back to the center...
Not always. Our satellite guys usually don't have any pickups, and if they do it is only a piece or two, so they don't rush to make sure the piece or two gets back in time. In my center the DIAD also stays in the PC overnight. The next day the driver puts it in the trailer and the guy who pulls the trailer brings it back in with him at night.
We always used two DIADs here. The guys pulling the trailers had to be back by 7:00 so the air could leave the building. That meant they had to be at the trailer by 5:30 to 6:00.
Interesting. Our guys always use 1 DIAD and then call in their timecard at night to put in as a placeholder. The next day we download all the info off of it and then delete the placeholder.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I bet it was a route he ran out of the building, then they made it a satellite route and he just happens to live there. Before satellite routes came to be they all ran out of the main centers. There's no past practice here for ups to win. They will bid the route when it is vacated.

So do you know of any contract wording where it details how a satellite center is bid or run. I'd like to research this more.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So do you know of any contract wording where it details how a satellite center is bid or run. I'd like to research this more.
Article 38 Section 1 of the Master.

It is basically up to UPS and the local to work out any details. Sometimes a Regional Committee may get involved.

This is why there are many different rules that people have posted. It is all done locally and each local probably has it's own agreement where satellite routes exist.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Article 38 Section 1 of the Master.

It is basically up to UPS and the local to work out any details. Sometimes a Regional Committee may get involved.

This is why there are many different rules that people have posted. It is all done locally and each local probably has it's own agreement where satellite routes exist.
See, I am in Central as well and any of our satellites are considered their own center even though they are merely a table with rollers that trucks back up to. I cannot understand why they will not let any of us bid the routes when they come open. According to the center manager, they will hire an off the street to fill that slot.

Just doesn't seem right that a newbie will get a bid route, be afforded 9.5 protection, not have to qualify in the same manner as the rest of us, and get their pick of vacation weeks. Our satellites have their work shuttled to them by another driver in a PC.

By The Book

Well, they are telling us that they will hire from the outside so we will see. I will have to come back here and update the post whenever that happens.
A past practice is something non contractual and has been done before, or a pattern of doing things in agreement with the local. If there is language in your supplement that covers in detail how sattelite centers work in your area that is contractual and should be followed. Your supplements job bidding procedures may cover how all openings are posted and bid. Read your contract and tell us what it says. Call your local, don't wait and see.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

See, I am in Central as well and any of our satellites are considered their own center even though they are merely a table with rollers that trucks back up to. I cannot understand why they will not let any of us bid the routes when they come open. According to the center manager, they will hire an off the street to fill that slot.
I'm in the Central as well and we don't have any of that. Driver backs the PC to the trailer and then loads. He isn't in his own center. He gets charged to our center and has to follow all the seniority guidelines the rest of the center has.

I know I've said it before. But I'm always amazed at the differences in this company. Even in the same regions.