Satellite TV or Cable? A non-poll, poll

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
STUG here, wanting to know which service you all find better. I mean which is more reliable? Which has less service calls? Which one goes out less frequently? How was your experience with customer service? Which is better pricewise? Please give me your total biased/unbiased opinion. This includes TV, internet and any other applications provided by these services.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Steve i have had cable, dish network and now direct tv satellite! I have a 52 inch flat screen Sony bravia, and the picture with direct tv is the best by far.

Now satellite has its draw backs, when a bad rain storm comes, i do occasionally lose my signal. However i have two tivos so i never run out of tivo'd shows to watch.

If you like nfl direct tv is the only provider of the nfl game package were you get all the games on sunday.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Can't say about price because I have never had a dish and won't ever have a dish. Guess I've delivered to many and picked up to many. LOL I love my cable.The first sevice call I have ever had was this past fri. I've had my cable for 5 yrs or so. They recently did some service upgrades and it allowed closed captioning to be enabled in my dvr box. I couldn't shut it off. They sent a tech out to fix it. I do have to say though, they freaked me out because right after I called them my cable went out. Noooooooo. not on Super Bowl weekend! But they were out to fix it before noon. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drewed

Shankman
When I live at my bros first we had dish network ehh not too personable on the customer service, kinda your fault....
then we went to direct tv....sports fans delight didnt miss a bears game that year, great customer service any problems you give them a call theyll NDA a new reciever to you....
When I moved into where Im at now we have cable- ehh on the service- eh on the price...we have our internet bundled too and since we downlload a lot of music and movies and what not we have a lot of overages so they gouge us.....the one advantage they had this year is direct tv and dish network refused to buy the HD signal from our NBC affiliate for the SB, so we had it in HD when the satellite people....

Price is going to very with what you get and want...... If i had a choice Id go with directv, never really had problems with a signal (depends on your area from what ive heard) great customer service and the packages for sports and whatnot

tunemixer

I had cable for years. hen we moved into a new house cable was not avalible the first two years. We got Dish Network. As stated before rain storms heavy wet snow caused prooblems. As soon as cable came in I went back to them. I can't ever remember having a service call for cable.
I thought about Direct TV for the football package. But I can see enough football on my cable .

redshift1

STUG here, wanting to know which service you all find better. I mean which is more reliable? Which has less service calls? Which one goes out less frequently? How was your experience with customer service? Which is better pricewise? Please give me your total biased/unbiased opinion. This includes TV, internet and any other applications provided by these services.

Go to AVS forum this is where the technical people go for answers.

Cementups

Box Monkey
If you have the option, go with Verizon FIOS TV. I had Comcrap for 5 years. As soon as they offered Fios here, I switched and I don't regret it one bit. I paay $130/month for TV, interenet and phone. My TV is HD with a Starz, TMC, Encore, Showtime and a DVR. Internet is 20mps/5mps. And my phone is unlimited long distance. and for a side note, I paid $130 for Comcast for TV ALONE. Screw them.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Steve i have had cable, dish network and now direct tv satellite! I have a 52 inch flat screen Sony bravia, and the picture with direct tv is the best by far.

Now satellite has its draw backs, when a bad rain storm comes, i do occasionally lose my signal. However i have two tivos so i never run out of tivo'd shows to watch.

If you like nfl direct tv is the only provider of the nfl game package were you get all the games on sunday.

DirecTV here...Great service...Only bad thing is when it starts raining even slightly...the dish loses signal

I had cable for years. hen we moved into a new house cable was not avalible the first two years. We got Dish Network. As stated before rain storms heavy wet snow caused prooblems. As soon as cable came in I went back to them. I can't ever remember having a service call for cable.
I thought about Direct TV for the football package. But I can see enough football on my cable .
This is why I won't ever have anything but cable. My cable office is about 7 blocks away, I can call and get a real live person that speaks english.

Have my internet (DSL)through my phone company and have been very happy with it.

jason67rs

I have Direc Tv and like it. The receiver gives me a fit about once a month but that's about it. Switched to that from Dish Network because Direc Tv has MLB Package. My wife is from MO and a big Cardinals fan and I'm a Cubs fan makes for some interesting nights when they play each other.

satellitedriver

I have Direct TV, same receiver for 10,12yrs?(time flies).
Never have had a service call and it only goes out under severe weather conditions and that is just for a short period of time.

UPSNewbie

Have cable. Only problem with it is one of the local news channels has a ghost image from the broadcast version. Makes for bad picture quality on some other channels. That'll be fixed on 2-19-09, though. We have internet through the phone company. If we got cable internet, (from the cable company, obviously) they would be able to filter what we download, which is highly no bueno, since we download all of our TV shows.

Channahon

Whichever service you choose negotiate your price. I have cable, phone and internet and recently reduced my bill by $40 a month and gained a premium channel.

A lot of companies have introductory offers, so once that goes away, give them a call. The cable companies would rather keep you as a customer than have you switch services, and know in today's economic conditions, they should negotiate with you.

I have had Time Warner, Cox and Comcast througout the years, and the best HD was Time Warner, and if it were available in my area, I would have stayed with them.

DirectTv for 14 years now. No reception problems short of a Cat5 hurricane. From the sound of it some of the fellow dtv`ers might want to check the alignment on their dishes.
The negatives for me are only being able to watch whats recorded on a dvr on that tv,no ability to transfer recordings from room to room. Also the dvr`s I have don`t have HDMI outputs. My sister is getting U-Verse from AT&T so I`ll check it out as a possibility when my DTV contract is up.