Satellite

thebrownbomber

Been on a satellite route for about 10 yrs which is about 10 miles from my house. The ups center is 35 miles away. Never have to go to the center ever which is great because I don't have to ever deal with management. Got a call from the dispatcher today stating he is going to start cutting a route( not mine) on Mondays and I need to drive 35 miles to ups and start from there that has my route plus 15-20 business stop of the cut route. Told him no I'm a satellite driver I start from here, he told me if I didn't start from the center on monday he would find away to cut my route and would have to drive there anyways. Also said he would make sure I would run the worst intown route we had. What can be done?

Sent using BrownCafe App

ManInBrown

BrownBomber what state are you in? Just curious. When i think of satellite routes I always think of out west in nevada or Colorado. Flying to Vegas I've seen little towns pop out of nowhere and nothing around for another 100 miles.

upschuck

Been on a satellite route for about 10 yrs which is about 10 miles from my house. The ups center is 35 miles away. Never have to go to the center ever which is great because I don't have to ever deal with management. Got a call from the dispatcher today stating he is going to start cutting a route( not mine) on Mondays and I need to drive 35 miles to ups and start from there that has my route plus 15-20 business stop of the cut route. Told him no I'm a satellite driver I start from here, he told me if I didn't start from the center on monday he would find away to cut my route and would have to drive there anyways. Also said he would make sure I would run the worst intown route we had. What can be done?

1) If your rte is cut, you have the choice of not working that day, or taking a utility rte.
2) When you bid the satellite rte, and it should have stated your start location(behind liquor store on US 12, or whatever), any deviance then that should be paid time. I have covered satellite routes, and started from center every day I covered the rtes, and loaded truck in UPS parking lot.

M

MenInBrown

I have a sat rt in North Carolina. Our site has 2 sat rts at the same location. They use to cut/combine those like 2 days a week. Didn't take long for upper management to tell the sups the sat rts should never be cut. If you have to start at the building once a week, either take the layoff or work. I don't understand why they would pull your rt from the sat for 15-20 stops?

thebrownbomber

I have a sat rt in North Carolina. Our site has 2 sat rts at the same location. They use to cut/combine those like 2 days a week. Didn't take long for upper management to tell the sups the sat rts should never be cut. If you have to start at the building once a week, either take the layoff or work. I don't understand why they would pull your rt from the sat for 15-20 stops?
Those 15-20 stop would be on my way to the satellite position, if they loaded them on the satellite trailer it would take me 20 miles to get to those stops 1hr to del and 20 miles back to start my route. That's my guess

Sent using BrownCafe App

Sent using BrownCafe App
Start asking for a bunch of 8 hr requests and get on the 9/5 list. Also file harassment for his threat.

bumped

Nothing you can really do. We have a few sat routes that are broken on Monday's maybe 10 times during the year. Drivers either take off or run a route from the building. They won't break your route permanently as IE has figured it saves money. IE would come down on your center manager.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Those 15-20 stop would be on my way to the satellite position, if they loaded them on the satellite trailer it would take me 20 miles to get to those stops 1hr to del and 20 miles back to start my route. That's my guess.

So you are saying that starting you at the center when you have that add/cut makes sense?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your dispatch sup is an idiot

Why? The time that he would have spent loading his package is now being spent delivering 15-20 businesses as the package car will already be loaded for him at the center. Yeah, it sucks to have to drive to the center rather than the sat point, but it does make sense from a dispatch point of view.