Saturday Air Driving

tarico

I work in the building just got called for Saturday air driving .. Can someone tell me bout it , is it good / bad , worth trying , the pay. Need every info I can get

PT Car Washer

I work in the building just got called for Saturday air driving .. Can someone tell me bout it , is it good / bad , worth trying , the pay. Need every info I can get
Easiest money you can ever make working at UPS. Almost $27/hr to walk a Saturday NDA letter up to someone's front door. Pay starts off kind of low but after a two year progression you are at top rate with all the contractual raise every year. Good training for anyone thinking about FT driving. Learn the DIAD and driving the package cars on a low stress level. Look under Art. 40 in the master for the wage progression.

tarico

Easiest money you can ever make working at UPS. Almost $27/hr to walk a Saturday NDA letter up to someone's front door. Pay starts off kind of low but after a two year progression you are at top rate with all the contractual raise every year. Good training for anyone thinking about FT driving. Learn the DIAD and driving the package cars on a low stress level. Look under Art. 40 in the master for the wage progression.
Thanks a lot on the info really appreciate that because I soon want to be a FT driver but wanted to take steps

PT Car Washer

Thanks a lot on the info really appreciate that because I soon want to be a FT driver but wanted to take steps
Do the Saturday Air job and if a FT driving job does not open up before Summer see if you can be a Summer vacation seasonal driver, if your building allows it. Your Center management team will work you like a borrowed mule but you will have a chance to decide if this is what you want to do for the next 30 years.

tarico

Do the Saturday Air job and if a FT driving job does not open up before Summer see if you can be a Summer vacation seasonal driver, if your building allows it. Your Center management team will work you like a borrowed mule but you will have a chance to decide if this is what you want to do for the next 30 years.
Yeaaaaaaaa my build calls it VCD vacation cover driver that starts from May - September I was planning on doing the Saturday Air Until the VCD open up

PT Car Washer

Yeaaaaaaaa my build calls it VCD vacation cover driver that starts from May - September I was planning on doing the Saturday Air Until the VCD open up
In my building they leave you on one route (training route) and make the bid driver cover vacation on other routes. Real eye opener to what a FT driver does every day.

barnyard

KTM rider
In my building they leave you on one route (training route) and make the bid driver cover vacation on other routes.

They can only do that for 30 days and only once in a TYD career. After that, they are cover drivers, expected to cover.

In my center, the bosses try very hard to keep TCD in regular areas, so they do not struggle too much. The downside is that they are on the garbage routes. Lots of apartment buildings and college student housing. You know. The routes no one else wants to do.

billerz

In my center you start around 9, load your own truck with the 30 or so packages you will have, and are usually done around 12. The areas are little more spread out since your just running airs. I just used my phone for any addresses I didn't know, you will have the time to do that. Compared to FT driving, it's super easy.

PT Car Washer

They can only do that for 30 days and only once in a TYD career. After that, they are cover drivers, expected to cover.

In my center, the bosses try very hard to keep TCD in regular areas, so they do not struggle too much. The downside is that they are on the garbage routes. Lots of apartment buildings and college student housing. You know. The routes no one else wants to do.
You are assuming every place use TCD's. My building does not. We do use Air drivers to cover routes sitting or left over work at top driver rate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my center you start around 9, load your own truck with the 30 or so packages you will have, and are usually done around 12. The areas are little more spread out since your just running airs. I just used my phone for any addresses I didn't know, you will have the time to do that. Compared to FT driving, it's super easy.

Here we start delivering right after we leave the airport.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You are jumping the gun here .
Saturday driving is not for everyone .
I was the first air driver in Boston Metro .
I had limited street knowledge and even less driving experience .
The first time I was used was during a snow storm . I was told to get in a PC and go .
I never looked at the fuel gauge and ran out of fuel on the way back in .
It those pesky little things that matter .
Learn procedures before leaving the building .
Have a problem ask a regular driver for tips .
I've had over the years new air drivers who claimed to know their neighborhoods like the back of their hands get lost one street over from their houses .
And we had an air driver who should have had a 20 minute drive from the airport back to the building take 3 hours . He only traveled by street buses and followed them to do his drive back .
Another was given the city of Medford to do for his route , but he didn't know the way , so he used the Mass Pike (into Boston ) to rte 93 N to find Medford . I checked from the time he left the building to his first stop was 90 mins.
The following week I had him at his first stop in 15 mins .
And after a major storm disruption plan on being on the road all day Sat. , there will be upgrades for parcels and some others with no commit time .