Saturday Air Grievance

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You're such a kind soul. You let a junior person get hours. What an honorble and caring person.

This is what you made this thread for, right? :dead:

No and I don't know why you're being a jerk this weekend. I was scheduled to work, showed up on time, was all set to go and then a junior employee showed up who was also scheduled to work, showed up (almost) on time and was all set to go. I let him work because he didn't get his 40 hours and I am coming down with a cold. I just wanted to know if I had grounds for a grievance for the 4 hour minimum.

What is your problem this weekend?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
No and I don't know why you're being a jerk this weekend. I was scheduled to work, showed up on time, was all set to go and then a junior employee showed up who was also scheduled to work, showed up (almost) on time and was all set to go. I let him work because he didn't get his 40 hours and I am coming down with a cold. I just wanted to know if I had grounds for a grievance for the 4 hour minimum.

What is your problem this weekend?

yawning.jpg

rrhogueiii

Your Supplement and local practice and the details of the situation may change how this case is handled, but according to Article 40, additional Saturday Air Work is intended first for part-timers . . .

ARTICLE 40. AIR OPERATION
Section 1 - Air Drivers

(k) Saturday or Sunday Air Work
(1) To perform Saturday or Sunday air work the Employer and the Union recognize the need for air drivers other than those regularly scheduled. Qualified part-time employees who are interested in performing this work will so notify the Employer, be certified and be placed in seniority order on a posted qualified air driver list. Such work will be first offered in seniority order to employees on the qualified list who have not worked more than thirty-seven (37) hours in the current week. This work shall then be offered in seniority order to qualified part-time employees regardless of hours worked. If the scheduling needs still cannot be met, and additional employees are needed, the Employer may force qualified part-time employees in reverse seniority order.

(2) These employees shall be paid at the air driver’s straight-time rate of pay in accordance with Section 6 below. Time and one-half (1-1/2) will be paid after eight (8) hours per day or after forty (40) hours per week.

(3) All employees working as an air driver on Saturday or Sunday under this Section shall have a three (3) hour guarantee.

rrhogueiii

Your Supplement and local practice and the details of the situation may change how this case is handled, but according to Article 40, additional Saturday Air Work is intended first for part-timers . . .

Section 1 - Air Drivers

(1) To perform Saturday or Sunday air work the Employer and the Union recognize the need for air drivers other than those regularly scheduled. Qualified part-time employees who are interested in performing this work will so notify the Employer, be certified and be placed in seniority order on a posted qualified air driver list. Such work will be first offered in seniority order to employees on the qualified list who have not worked more than thirty-seven (37) hours in the current week. This work shall then be offered in seniority order to qualified part-time employees regardless of hours worked. If the scheduling needs still cannot be met, and additional employees are needed, the Employer may force qualified part-time employees in reverse seniority order.

(2) These employees shall be paid at the air driver’s straight-time rate of pay in accordance with Section 6 below. Time and one-half (1-1/2) will be paid after eight (8) hours per day or after forty (40) hours per week.

(3) All employees working as an air driver on Saturday or Sunday under this Section shall have a three (3) hour guarantee.

Section 1 - Air Drivers

does "qualified part time employees" include air exception drivers?

rrhogueiii

here is what we have going in my bldg.scheduled for sat air,one friend/T air/porter combo, T-S, two P/T bid air drivers, T-S, the 2 P/T bid air drivers, T-S. both have < 10 years bldg seniority.in addition, bldg has two P/T bid air drivers, M-friend, one w/15 yrs bldg seniority and 1 with 8 yrs bldg seniority.in addition, bldg has an exception air driver (preloader) w/36 yrs bldg seniority (25 yrs air exception). nearly every Saturday a fourth driver is needed. who is first in line to be asked to work? the M-friend P/T bid air people or the air exception driver (36 yrs and a preloader)? thx

rrhogueiii

thx, big fight in my bldg. i am the air exception/preloader/36 yr employee and one of the M-friend bid people ( with much less bldg seniority) thinks that since I am not a "bid air driver",i should NOT be asked first.

does this apply to ground work as well when no more friend/T people available?

PT Car Washer

It does in my building. Delivering or picking up ground when the center is short drivers would be extra work again. Never saw anything in Art 40 about ground being part of an Air Drivers job description.

PT Car Washer

Have seen it happen many times where a person with less seniority will try and twist the contracts language around to suit there own needs.

PT Car Washer

thx, well we have a lot in common here.do you have T-S scheduled or are your sat drivers all day 6 people? how many?
All PT, M thru Friday and most come from the Pre load. Use 6 from our building and 6 from the airport. If we are still short goes to Art 22.3 Air Drivers and then FT package car drivers.

PT Car Washer

your 22.3 air drivers are M-friend? we have one 22.3 air driver, T-S, is he first on sat list?
Our Art 22.3 work the pre load and then deliver air afterwards. I think we have 6 in two centers. Still need several more PT after the pre load. Everyday job it seems. Almost all of our other Art 22.3 work either loading or unloading on midnight and after an hour and half break load or unload on pre load. I suppose since your Art 22.3 is scheduled to work Saturdays he couldn't be cut. We also have pick ups in the PM on Saturday. Turns the day into 9+ hours.