Saturday air rate question

John38

I'm currently a qualified part time cover driver for just over a year now. Recently I just started delivering Saturday air roughly 8am to 12:30-1pm, the air rate is obviously considerably different from my ground rate. My question is my supervisor recently had me pick up a couple ups stores (which I normally do but only take air packages) and a mall pick up. The only difference is this time he had me take ALL packages including ground, since this is the case am I due my ground rate???

Box Ox

So I wouldn't get ground rate for pick ups?

Ground rate for ground pickups was never a thing when I was an air driver. If I were asked to deliver I could get ground rate if I asked for it.

Think there is wording in the National Master suggesting you don't necessarily get ground rate as an air driver if there's a ground driver picking up from the same place the same day and you're just a sweeper.

I haven't heard of UPS Stores being picked up on Saturdays in my area, though. The regular air drivers sweep out weekend volume Monday morning after their NDA is off and the ground driver/PM air driver cycle continues later that day and for the rest of the week.

All that stuff said, if I were a Saturday air driver running the only pickup for that day, and there were plenty of ground packages, I would 100% definitely push for ground rate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Box, if you are following the regular driver and just closing out the pickup, you would not get the ground rate; however, if you are the only driver being asked to sweep bulk pickups you should get ground rate for the hours that you worked that day.

Box Ox

Box, if you are following the regular driver and just closing out the pickup, you would not get the ground rate; however, if you are the only driver being asked to sweep bulk pickups you should get ground rate for the hours that you worked that day.

100% with ya.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I'm currently a qualified part time cover driver for just over a year now. Recently I just started delivering Saturday air roughly 8am to 12:30-1pm, the air rate is obviously considerably different from my ground rate. My question is my supervisor recently had me pick up a couple ups stores (which I normally do but only take air packages) and a mall pick up. The only difference is this time he had me take ALL packages including ground, since this is the case am I due my ground rate???
Without a doubt yes

Brisket

I haven't heard of UPS Stores being picked up on Saturdays in my area, though. The regular air drivers sweep out weekend volume Monday morning after their NDA is off and the ground driver/PM air driver cycle continues later that day and for the rest of the week.

All that stuff said, if I were a Saturday air driver running the only pickup for that day, and there were plenty of ground packages, I would 100% definitely push for ground rate.

They do that here the closer we get to turkey day here, all the ups stores, and all the big stores also.

John38

I've been talking to a couple different drivers today and they say I am technically due the ground rate but don't think I have a leg to stand on to fight it because as of November 1st they sweep bulk stops

Faceplanted

You are advancing ground packages thus you get ground rate.

And don't listen to what upstate says, they can't just "find" somebody else to do Saturday's it's seniority based.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

I would argue that you should get top ground rate for picking up those packages

By The Book

I've been talking to a couple different drivers today and they say I am technically due the ground rate but don't think I have a leg to stand on to fight it because as of November 1st they sweep bulk stops
Read article 40, page 141, paragraph 7, it continues to page 142. This is in the master agreement. The grievance procedure is talked about on page 152 of the master agreement. The way I read it is you are entitled to top driver rate if you are the only one doing the pickup for the day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Technically if they are having you sweep bulk pickups you should be getting top ground rate for the day.

Now, you can push the issue, file and win the grievance, but then they could always find someone else to work on Saturday.
Yea, but that would require effort. I think they would just pay him ground rate.