Saturday Air

Dnking

FireFalcon
Your SOL he is ahead of you on the bidding list on everything but vacation picks. You have no rights to bump him out of his position. But let your SUP's know that when there is an opening you would like to Drive Sat Air. Understand that might take a while because your last in line.

Let me make it clear. I do have more seniority than the other air driver. My seniority date at my current center is 2/6/06. The other guy started i believe in 09, has almost two years. And for part time air drivers they base seniority off your part time seniority date. So I do have more seniority, and believe me, I am keeping track of every Saturday i dont work. Im reallys surprised i didn't work this past mothers day..

UPSGUY72

Let me make it clear. I do have more seniority than the other air driver. My seniority date at my current center is 2/6/06. The other guy started i believe in 09, has almost two years. And for part time air drivers they base seniority off your part time seniority date. So I do have more seniority, and believe me, I am keeping track of every Saturday i dont work. Im reallys surprised i didn't work this past mothers day..

When they put a bid sheet up for Sat Air Driver did you sign???

Last edited:

iowa boy

Ive been at my center since 06...Been with the company since 99. So ive been here for about 5 years now. And yes im still part time because, yes i lost my building seniority. Transferred because my wife graduated college and got a excellent job in a different state. So i did a educational transfer. The air driver they've been using ahead of me is fairly new. Started in 09.

You transferred to another center, you lost your building seniority when you transferred. You keep your company seniority for vacations and option days off, but with building seniority you are at the bottom.

Dnking

FireFalcon
Exactly. My building seniority is 2/6/06. I only work with 9 other preloaders. And im actually 4th on the seniority list. So yes for vacations and option days, my company time goes into effect. But bidding on jobs, my building time(2/6/06) goes into effect. And yes, when they put a bid up for Saturday Air, i did sign it. There are only two air drivers, me and the other guy(started in 09). So I have more seniority, even in this center

iowa boy

Exactly. My building seniority is 2/6/06. I only work with 9 other preloaders. And im actually 4th on the seniority list. So yes for vacations and option days, my company time goes into effect. But bidding on jobs, my building time(2/6/06) goes into effect. And yes, when they put a bid up for Saturday Air, i did sign it. There are only two air drivers, me and the other guy(started in 09). So I have more seniority, even in this center

Your building seniority does not transfer to your new building with you, only your company seniority does. Building seniority and company seniority are two different things within UPS.

In your old building you were 4th on the seniority list, but being fouth on seniority doesn't mean squat when you transfer to a new building. When the transfer takes effect, you go to the bottom of the center seniority list for the center you transferred too.

UPSGUY72

Your Building doesn't have Air drivers/ driver that get sent to the the Airport in the morning to pick up Air ??

UPSGUY72

So everyone other PT people working in your building on any shift except 3 started working after you go transfered ????

Well if you signed it and have all your Ducks in a row than file a grievance and stop crying about it. If you don't want to file a grievance than stop complaining.

You have been with UPS since 1999 you should know what your right are. You are the only one that can do anything about it.

washington57

Your building seniority does not transfer to your new building with you, only your company seniority does. Building seniority and company seniority are two different things within UPS.

In your old building you were 4th on the seniority list, but being fouth on seniority doesn't mean squat when you transfer to a new building. When the transfer takes effect, you go to the bottom of the center seniority list for the center you transferred too.

he isn't talking about his old building. his company date is 99 then he transfered in 06 to the current one.

iowa boy

he isn't talking about his old building. his company date is 99 then he transfered in 06 to the current one.

Washington, you may be correct with what you are saying. I will concede that. But by looking at the first post and then the subsequent posts by the OP, it seems to me that his story may have been 'edited' to make him or herself look better in the situation.

"How would you handle this? I've transferred to a new building." This is his quote from his first post on this thread.

Ive been at my center since 06...Been with the company since 99. So ive been here for about 5 years now. This is from post #12 on the first page. All of a sudden he's been at the new building for 5 years? Hopefully you can see where my and others' assumptions have come with regards to the poster.

If this is truly the case though, then when exactly did he sign the bid sheet for saturday air and when did the person with the seniority date of '09 sign the sheet. If they hung two different sheets and he signed the second one and not the first, then as upsguy72 said earlier, he is SOL. We don't have all the info necessary from the OP to determine this one way or the other.

Last edited:

washington57

Washington, you may be correct with what you are saying. I will concede that. But by looking at the first post and then the subsequent posts by the OP, it seems to me that his story may have been 'edited' to make him or herself look better in the situation.

If this is truly the case though, then when exactly did he sign the bid sheet for saturday air and when did the person with the seniority date of '09 sign the sheet. If they hung two different sheets and he signed the second one and not the first, then as upsguy72 said earlier, he is SOL. We don't have all the info necessary from the OP to determine this one way or the other.

you are right about the bid sheets- seniority doesn't matter if you signed a later bid sheet. it happened to me with saturday air, there are three people with less company seniority than me who are higher on the air driver list. just how it goes.

Dnking

FireFalcon
How would you handle this? I've transferred to a new building. They only have two air drivers. Most of the time they only use one, depending on the volume. I have more seniority than the current air driver, but he's from the area, therefore he knows how to get around better than i do.

I used to air drive in the area i transferred from, but like i said im in a different building now and im still getting used to the area. Ive gone out with a sup 4 times now, but im still on call for Sat, and most Sat i dont work. And the other guy works every Sat. I can see they probably want to use him because he already knows where hes going. But the way i see it, the only way im gonna get to know the area, is by actually going out and delivering in it.

How would u handle it? Push the seniority issue? Or let it ride out and see if they eventually start using me?

Maybe i didnt make it clear enough, and for that i apologize. I have no reason to lie, or make myself appear innocent. And yes ive been with the company since 1999...So I am smart enough to document everything, so I can eventually file on this issue. I didnt mean to say I transferred to a new building, i probably should of said I transferred to a different building in 06. And they have always only needed two air drivers. The guy that im referring to that is the current air driver started in this building in 09 as a preloader. He signed an air driver bid, and has pretty much been driving since.

I signed a different air bid right before this past peak season and became the second air driver. Like I said he works every Sat, im on call and am rarely used. In my old building the way they based Seniority for part-time air drivers, is based on your part-time company time or seniority. So since i started in 06 and the other guy started in 09, then I have more seniority and should be the main Air driver used even though i became an air driver after him. For part-time air drivers its not like Full-time drivers, where seniority is based on your full-time hire date.

And like I said our center is small. So we dont go to the airport. We have a driver from Columbus that shuttles our air to us. So our work only consists of maybe 15-20 stops most Saturdays

washington57

Maybe i didnt make it clear enough, and for that i apologize. I have no reason to lie, or make myself appear innocent. And yes ive been with the company since 1999...So I am smart enough to document everything, so I can eventually file on this issue. I didnt mean to say I transferred to a new building, i probably should of said I transferred to a different building in 06. And they have always only needed two air drivers. The guy that im referring to that is the current air driver started in this building in 09 as a preloader. He signed an air driver bid, and has pretty much been driving since.

I signed a different air bid right before this past peak season and became the second air driver. Like I said he works every Sat, im on call and am rarely used. In my old building the way they based Seniority for part-time air drivers, is based on your part-time company time or seniority. So since i started in 06 and the other guy started in 09, then I have more seniority and should be the main Air driver used even though i became an air driver after him. For part-time air drivers its not like Full-time drivers, where seniority is based on your full-time hire date.

And like I said our center is small. So we dont go to the airport. We have a driver from Columbus that shuttles our air to us. So our work only consists of maybe 15-20 stops most Saturdays

he has more air driver seniority. you are sol.

iowa boy

he has more air driver seniority. you are sol.

Now that I understand the whole situation, washington is right. The highlighted portion in your quote above says it all. He has more seniority for air driving as he signed the earlier bid. You are now his backup and cover guy when he goes on vacation or takes a saturday off.:peaceful:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Think of it this way:

If you are a loader and you want to become a pickoff, you cannot just say " I want to pickoff, I have seniority plus I know the sort and was pickoff in another building." When the pickoff is moved , retires, etc..and the position opens up, if you have the most seniority of anyone interested, you will get it.

C Man

Don't mean to dig up an old thread, but I have some comments on the OP's situation. This is based on my experience as an air driver since 1990.

If you and this other air driver with less seniority both work preload or "inside the building" in some fashion, then you're not bid air drivers. In other words, this Saturday air work is considered "extra work." In my opinion, you guys didn't sign a Saturday "bid sheet," you signed an "intent list," so if your center only uses 1 air driver on Saturday then it should be you, because you have more building seniority than him (2006 vs. 2009).

We use about 15-18 air drivers for Saturday air where I work. When someone wants to become an air driver they sign an intent list (or contact someone in Human Resources and tell them they're interested in becoming one if there isn't a list posted). If they qualify, they're slotted into the qualified air drivers list list based on seniority.

So here's a scenario: someone has been with the company 5 years and has been air driving (as extra work) for a few years. Someone else has been with the company 10 years and just recently qualified as an air driver. The 10 year seniority person gets slotted into the qualified list and is now ahead of the other guy who has already been an air driver for 3 years. There is no "air driver seniority" when performing air work as extra work.

If you think that seems unfair, look at the parallels in this situation: say they offer extra work or double shifting inside the building during peak season, and that someone with 5 years seniority has been doing it all 5 years he's worked there (either because he signed an intent list they put up during peak season or because a supervisor went around and asked people if they were interested in extra work during peak). Then during the next peak season, a guy who's been there 10 years and has never been interested in extra work during peak decides he wants to pick up some extra hours, so he signs the list for extra work. The 10 year guy gets offered the extra work first. The 5 year guy doesn't have 5 years of "extra work seniority" over the 10 year guy, just like this 2009 seniority guy doesn't have any "air driver seniority" over the OP, Dnking.

barnyard

KTM rider
To further comment on a 6 month old thread......

The OP says that he/she transferred to another building. Here, that means they retain seniority time for vacations, but go to the bottom of the list at the new building. For bidding purposes, the start date at the new building is their seniority date.

C Man

The OP says that he/she transferred to another building. Here, that means they retain seniority time for vacations, but go to the bottom of the list at the new building. For bidding purposes, the start date at the new building is their seniority date.
Which still puts him ahead of the other guy. The OP's company seniority is 1999; his 'new' building seniority is 2006; the guy working ahead of him has company/building seniority of 2009.