Saturday air.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I keep wondering why the UPS EDD system can't work on Saturdays. M - friend, a center places many thousands of stops in a proper order. It can't place a 1-2 hundred stops in a proper delivery order on Saturday?

When I do Saturday airs on occasion, they often come in late. You may not leave the building until after 10am. Now you may have 20 stops in an area you barely know and have to map out the most efficient route in minutes.

At least in the PHL hub, and even the air operation in my hub, the packages aren't run through SPA. No machine to generate labels. Here, they unload them from a can-at which point they are scanned with some type of hand-held scanner, but not for EDD-right onto the belt into trucks.

EDD is to assist with dispatch planning ; there really isn't "dispatch" on Saturdays: no SPC, no trying to move splits and finely tune dispatches, except when a driver is overwhelmed with stops-about 45+ here it seems-in which case a driver with far fewer may be asked to help the over-loaded driver out. In essence, there is "no need" for EDD, since there isn't any major dispatch planning going on.

Last edited:

iowa boy

I keep wondering why the UPS EDD system can't work on Saturdays. M - friend, a center places many thousands of stops in a proper order. It can't place a 1-2 hundred stops in a proper delivery order on Saturday?

When I do Saturday airs on occasion, they often come in late. You may not leave the building until after 10am. Now you may have 20 stops in an area you barely know and have to map out the most efficient route in minutes.

They can set up EDD to work on Saturdays, but your management has to sit down and take the time to actually do it. You probably won't get all the address ranges you need into the Diad's memory but they should be able to get most of it for you.

BrownChoice

Saturdays are bad :censored2:! From a Pre-Loaders perspective, it is nice to wake up way later, to do a job totally different and easier than your Mon-Fri job.

And on the sporh it depends because centers run things differently and the variables of population or density, etc. here we do 6 Sat. Drivers are most always part-timers who are qualified. And each driver gets a city to deliver with maybe the 5th or 6th swinging to one of the heavier cities.

Ive had Saturdays I've had 25 stops and gotten done at 11:15am (noon commits), and others I had 12 and had a late or cut it real close... And I know my city pretty well I believe.

One time I delivered ONE stop about 50minutes from the city I was in and this was on a heavy day, it was the Saturday after Christmas. Lotta upgrades, and this one pckg was nda saver from Amazon so it had to be delivered because they were already PISSED at us.

Gone in at. 6:00pm with 180 miles and 23 stops that day......EASY MONEY!!!!

barnyard

KTM rider
The only time we SPA on Saturday is if there are more than 10 drivers. We usually do Saturdays with 4-6. It is pretty easy for 1 person to say, "Hey, I am pretty heavy, can someone help me out?" We have a couple of 13:30 commit areas, so it is pretty easy to sort it out.

Plus, EDD is only going to be a 'suggested' order. In my center, if we are SPAing Saturday packages, it is always easier and faster to deliver based on area knowledge.

barnyard

KTM rider
When there are only 4-6 drivers, it is not worth the effort to set up EDD/PAS for the day. If there are more than 10-12, it seems to be worth the effort at my center.

JL 0513

We download EDD in that the stops are listed on our boards but what I mean is that they are not arranged in a proper delivery order. It's up to the driver to arrange their stops. If you are doing an area you've never done, it can be a pain to organize 15-20 stops in very limited time.

barnyard

KTM rider
If you are doing an area you've never done, it can be a pain to organize 15-20 stops in very limited time.

That is the way it was done every single delivery day before EDD/PAS. It is really not that hard and if you find it that challenging, it may not be for you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We normally use just one driver on Saturdays----we add a 2nd (and sometimes a 3rd) when a holiday, such as Mother's Day or Valentine's Day, falls on a Saturday. We don't use EDD----everything is forced in. It's usually not a problem to meet the noon commit----it is the 10:30 (EAM) commit that we seem to have trouble with, especially when the plane is late.

That being said, Saturday air is an ideal way to learn the DIAD and gain area knowledge.

mikeyb

I used to take a few minutes before leaving to prerecord all of the stops in the board in the order needed. Its like having EDD. Then you just work as normal.

JL 0513

upschuck said:
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe:rofl:

Well, for the most part it does. Whether it's EDD's RDO or ORION's ODO, stops are arranged in a reasonable order, at least in most centers.

On Saturday, they are completely scrambled.

opie

We can get EDD on Saturdays, but it is not set up in order. What they do is print out maps for all the routes. They have a computer program which calculates the stops, and prints it out in order, with directions.

BrownChoice

Like I said as others have, you don't know the variables that went on in those 15 stops. It could very well have taken 3 hours with a lot of miles, heavy traffic or long ass driveways..