Saturday delivery pushed till tuesday HELP

LKLND3380

Just called the 800 number in Florida and was told that some one from the Horsham PA location would call me. Thanks to all the forum members who wrote in, but to the others stay on topic.
I payed for saturday delivery and whether the drivers had no time left or the were upset for having to work I payed for services I did not recieve.
My son did no throw a tantrum in the suburbs yesterday.
My heart goes out to the family of the driver that lost his life at a young age.
HOSER jump in your truck and take those aid packages to Sudan yourself.
WTF does that relate to this topic???

I WOULD DEMAND A REFUND PLUS ASK FOR A MEETING WITH THE CENTER MANAGER AND THE DISTRICT MANAGER SO THEY CAN EXPLAIN WHAT WENT WRONG TO YOUR SON...

PAYING FOR SATURDAY DELIVERY MEANS DELIVERED ON SATURDAY... NO MATTER WHEN IT WAS ORIGINALY SHIPPED...

I AM SURE BOTH THE CENTER MANAGER AND DISTRICT MANAGERS LABOR CUTS WILL GIVE THEM A NICE BONU$.

jlphotog

domsdad,

I'm curious, since the package was delivered at 09:25 today, did anyone in your household ask the driver about this situation? And if so, what kind of answer did you receive?

Leftinbuilding

It must be nice to be ABSOLUTLY PERFECT in whatever it is you do. (As I am sure Domsdad is, in whatever business he is in) We are human ,(gasp!) we make mistakes. And I could almost guarantee you that some of these horrified UPS employees on this thread have themselves given less than perfect service at times. Absolute maximum effort to make service on every single package every single day? I doubt it! Just another opportunity to blast the company. Lighten up. Domsdad will get his money back and his son has probably already forgotten his pkg wasn't there on Christmas morning. Good grief!

lonsmith

We used to be told service is the only thing we have to sell. Now it's What is the stock price today? After 29 years I miss the days when the company put service first.

domsdad

Well the package did show up this morning but we did not get a chance to ask the driver what happened. I did recieve a phone call from a manager who explained to me that she did not know what happend to the package but they received it first thing this morning and sent it out asap. When I asked why the system showed scanned out for delivery at 7:08 on saturday I was told that means it should have been there, but it was probably at another location. HUH? Now I have to work on getting a refund.
We all make mistakes at our jobs but stepping to the plate and admitting guilt with the truth is always the best policy.
The customers would rather here a sorry with the truth, than the run around that does not make sense.

U

UPS Man In PA

domsdad,

There are several types of "tracking events" that aren't explained or noted when you see them on ups.com. What the Delivery Center may have been referencing is called a "logical scan", meaning that the package should have been there.

Unfortunately, if someone at an earlier point in the process mis-sorted the package, it would have gone to an incorrect destination even though it showed to you that it arrived and was out for delivery.

I realize that may not make sense, but it makes a lot of sense internally (fewer actual scans saves time and money), especially since our on-time delivery exceeds 99% (better than any of our competition). What compounded the problem, though, was that if such a scenario occurred, we should have provided another "physical" scan noting an exception ("mis-routed") so that you knew the correct status of your shipment.

None of this matters, though, since we failed to deliver on our commitment. I fully understand your dissappointment with us. I would share the same frustration if something I expected for one of my children failed to arrive (when it was expected to be there).

On behalf of UPS, I'd like to apologize to you and your son for our shortfall. Yours is not the customer experience we strive for.

I'd also like to apologize for some of the negativity displayed in some of the responses to your problem. Unfortunately, those responders chose to take out their personal frustrations on you. We have the best people in the delivery industry, but we don't always recognize them for the asset they are to us (which leads to frustration and negativity - we need to do better by them).

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback to UPS. Alot of us do take time to listen (and learn). If you choose to give us another opportunity in the future, my hope is that it has a better outcome.

Have a wonderful New Year!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
While I feel bad for the boy not getting his present for Christmas, as far as a refund, isnt there small print that says all guaranteed times are void, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, or is that just for times as in not guaranted by 1030, but are guaranteed for the day?

hoser

Industrial Slob
I guess the art of customer service really is dead in our company. Sad.
Hey, I'm willing to go the extra mile for customers who have reason.

The OP paid for Saturday delivery? Now that changes things... :closedeyeWhen asked for a reason from the centre manager, he'll say "mis sort *shrug*" then walk away. You're entitled to a refund, obviously.

local804

I noticed alot of Next day air packages in our building Tuesday morning with Saturday next day air stickers on them. Most of them were to residental houses and did look like Christmas gifts. Maybe they were from Denver but I really doubt it. I am sure there will be some pissed off customers on the other end.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I saw a lot of Next day packages with Saturday stickers on them in the send again area tonight. I guess more places were closed than I knew about. I did hear a few drivers complaining about closed holiday stops that they had to work around all day. They said the same thing happened last year! They said the same drivers always botch the holiday information in the pick up's. I guess that's the good thing about making the deliveries and pickups in your own area>

govols019

You smell that?
It must be nice to be ABSOLUTLY PERFECT in whatever it is you do. (As I am sure Domsdad is, in whatever business he is in) We are human ,(gasp!) we make mistakes. And I could almost guarantee you that some of these horrified UPS employees on this thread have themselves given less than perfect service at times. Absolute maximum effort to make service on every single package every single day? I doubt it!

Nobody said we were perfect. There is nothing wrong with trying to be though. And yes, I do everything in my power to make service on EVERY package that is in my truck everyday. Service to our customers was beat into me when I started. It pains me to see the "get over it" attitude of some toward a paying customer.

You want to bitch about EDD, stupid loops, unreasonable time studies, piss-poor preloaders, asinine splits that put two drivers on the same dead end street, and out of control egomaniacal center managers then I'm right there with you. I will not, on the other hand, jump on a customer who is upset because we didn't do what we said we would. I can't.

UPS Man In PA said what needed to be said.

dammor

I guess the art of customer service really is dead in our company. Sad.

Not true govols. I have done everything in my power to deliver EVERY package on my truck for almost 27 years now. I have also been told the road is not muddy, our dog won't bite, and I was home all day. Many of my customers have my cell number and use it more than is necessary. I enjoy and care about the people I deliver to, but when I hear one say "You Suck" after the peak we have had here I get a little irrate. I have yet to see a person or company that hasn't screwed up. At least we will refund the shipping cost.

As far as our loss here, well we'll all just be silent I guess. Sorry to mention somrthing so unpleasant.

Happy New Year.............

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Not true govols. I have done everything in my power to deliver EVERY package on my truck for almost 27 years now. I have also been told the road is not muddy, our dog won't bite, and I was home all day. Many of my customers have my cell number and use it more than is necessary. I enjoy and care about the people I deliver to, but when I hear one say "You Suck" after the peak we have had here I get a little irrate. I have yet to see a person or company that hasn't screwed up. At least we will refund the shipping cost.

As far as our loss here, well we'll all just be silent I guess. Sorry to mention somrthing so unpleasant.

Happy New Year.............

I'm a Denver driver helper and my driver and I pulled 30+ stops off another driver because he wasn't going to get it done. At first, it was supposed to be 24 but the other driver found another 10 he wasn't going to be able to get to. Had we not taken those off, what would have happened? Considering the other driver hadn't MADE it to that neighborhood in a week because of the snow, its pretty likely he wouldn't have tonight, either. As a result, 30+ people got what were almost certainly Christmas gifts they wouldn't have. As to people getting "irate," I had one get a little tonight. I gently explained what had happened to the transportation networks and she settled down. Rocky

tieguy

Banned
Uhhh...we are the bad guys here. Pretty easy to see that we dropped the ball on this one. So what if it was shipped at the last possible minute before Christmas? It's our job to make sure it gets there. That's what we do, remember?

This is unacceptable and I don't blame the customer for being pissed. I would be too. It's been out for delivery since Saturday. That's one hell of a long route.

HORSHAM,
PA, US

12/23/2006 7:08 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY

12/23/2006 5:41 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

I'm sorry govols but your full of yourself. You don't own the rights to perfect service. Too many of the people you're arguing with have also busted their asses and worked weekends( including myself) to make everyones christmas a happy one. We have all done all we can to make it happen. So while I think its okay to express dissapointment that we were not able to make this one happy I don't think its right you piss on everyone elses efforts.

Too much attention is being focused on UPS because we did not hit the 9 inning homerun and not enough is put on the shipper who waited until the last possible minute to ship the package.

lostintransit

On Saturday the Center Manager here said that ANY PACKAGE MARKED OR IDENTIFIED AS A CHRISTMAS GIFT WOULD NOT BE DELIVERED ON SATURDAY unless they paid for saturday delivery...

So here was this pile of Razor Scooters and such that were held until today.

They asked for every available Preloader to show up at 9:00AM on Saturday and then there was no work so they started sending people home at 10:45 but the Union Contracts says Three and a half hours... So a few hung out and did porter work to make that 3:30...

I saw one package come through "PLEASE DELIVER BY CHRISTMAS" and was shipped 12/18/2007...

"WHAT CAN BROWN DO TO YOU..."

That's too bad. My husband said that his center was going to attempt Saturday delivery on ANYTHING that even looked like a Christmas gift, even if it didn't have a Sat. del. on it.

outta hours

It comes down to this did we provide the service the shipper/customer paid us for? If the answer is no then all the excuses do not matter.I do find it funny that a mangement team member would blame the shipper for waiting till the last minute to ship. It was my understanding that we charged such an inflated amount because of the item being time sensitive. Mr. Customer you have been given a peak inside the big brown machine because of your thread and the responses that followed. I would hope that you could look objectivley at the difference between hourly and management responses. Most hourly workers do everything they can to provide service for the customer, and feel bad if they are unable to meet service commitments. The mangement responses generally center on trying to blame someone else ( shipper, driver, customer) instead of being accountable themselves. And feel no remorse for not meeting the customers expectations. You are just a number to them Mr. Customer just like the hourly worker. And if you don't like it there are plenty of others waiting to take your place.

LKLND3380

Too much attention is being focused on UPS because we did not hit the 9 inning homerun and not enough is put on the shipper who waited until the last possible minute to ship the package.

If I want to ship a package NEXT DAY AIR and wait until Friday December 22 and then pay extra for SATURDAY DELIVERY...
IT SHOULD BE DELIVERED SATURDAY DECEMBER 23...

ANYTIME A CUSTOMER PAYS FOR SATURDAY DELIVERY IT SHOULD NOT BE HELD UNTIL TUESDAY OF A HOLIDAY WEEKEND...

The focus should be on UPS because they dropped the ball... The shipper did everything properly unless SATURDAY DELIVERY has a new meaning.

I would guess the District Manager pulled the hours and told the Center Manager they needed EVERYONE off the clock. The Center Manager went to the Driver Supes and decided what routes to cut and who needed to be off the clock ASAP...

As a result of this quick cost cutting - profits went up for that center and management will have a nice BONU$...

LKLND3380

That's too bad. My husband said that his center was going to attempt Saturday delivery on ANYTHING that even looked like a Christmas gift, even if it didn't have a Sat. del. on it.

They cut routes Saturday and sent as many people home as possible... It was about keeping production (payroll) costs down....

disneyworld

I'm sorry govols but your full of yourself. You don't own the rights to perfect service. Too many of the people you're arguing with have also busted their asses and worked weekends( including myself) to make everyones christmas a happy one. We have all done all we can to make it happen. So while I think its okay to express dissapointment that we were not able to make this one happy I don't think its right you piss on everyone elses efforts.

Tie,I believe he paid the shipper for Saturday NDA and we didn't deliver.

over9five

Staff member
"They said the same drivers always botch the holiday information..."

BS. Any time I hand in a closed list, some idiot decides to load it all anyhow. Don't know why I bother....