Saturday ground service?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Saturday ground? Do you think there is a market there, yet untapped? Think bulk stops only at extra cost yet less than Saturday air, within certain mileage locations. Lock up contracts with shippers who might use this service.

Future

Victory Ride
I am sure UPS mission control has been researching this for years. Is it profitable?By them not acting on it i would assume it is not.

Big Babooba

Everything old is new again. I once knew a lady whose husband worked for UPS as a driver before WW2. He used to work Saturdays. I'm curious when Saturday delivery service was stopped.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
We already have tues-sat bids .
On sat FT drivers are needed to pickup grounds from The UPS stores , which are just stocked piled at the centers until Monday.
UPS have done studies on sat delv. and concluded that people are less likely to be home on sats.
On some occasions sat have been used as Pottery Barn Days .

PT Car Washer

Hard enough now to get rid of buisness stops. Only open mon. through fri. or no one working the backroom and wait inline at customer counter only to be told only a manager can sign. Government buildings only open during the week. I deliver downtown area on Sat. and bring a lot back. Only have one air can to unload now and hit the gate 30 min. after starting.

iruhnman630

I could see it happening if the premium pricing was removed. Retail establishments would appreciate getting that important merchandise on saturday, and 'no-cost' saturday delivery would be a great selling point for web based sales.

However it would be pointless to sort and load all of that industrial and office volume, considering the vast majority of it would be undeliverable.

PT Car Washer

I could see it happening if the premium pricing was removed. Retail establishments would appreciate getting that important merchandise on saturday, and 'no-cost' saturday delivery would be a great selling point for web based sales.

However it would be pointless to sort and load all of that industrial and office volume, considering the vast majority of it would be undeliverable.
If you remove the premium price how would you make any money? I see a lot of Amazon on Sat. Wonder how much extra that cost.

HomeDelivery

We already have tues-sat bids .

yea, i see some UPSers out on the road on Saturdays too ~ i guess they deliver only residentials w/ some businesses that are open over the weekend, like malls
-----------------------------
PS: Ground works M-friend (unless it's peak, then it's optional to work Sat if they have any hours left from a DOT alloted 70-hour workweek)

Express works Sat at an extra premium

Home Delivery works Tues-Sat (peak will be Mon-Sat up to 70 hours ~ no OT if you're working for a contractor)

i get paid by-the-stop and if the business is closed, i get nothing for driving there to code it as a send-again for Tues....

ASR for wine boxes are a hit-or-miss when customers are out enjoying their weekends & i can't DR these as well

otherwise, most of the residentials are drop-n-run; unless you're in a high-risk or no-DR zone

barnyard

KTM rider
Currently, the only deliveries we make are NDA and 2DA with Saturday premium. It is either $10 or $20 premium for Saturday delivery.

worldwide

Currently, the only deliveries we make are NDA and 2DA with Saturday premium. It is either $10 or $20 premium for Saturday delivery.

This would be a great competitive advantage if UPS could claim delivery Mon-Sat. Fedex Home Delivery is Tues-Sat and Fedex Ground is Mon-Fri. Fedex Home Delivery sells their current advantage with Sat delivery very aggressively against UPS. It would be nice to take away that advantage. Could also mean more SurePost move into ground system. Seems reasonable and good for everyone. More current volume saved from diverting and more volume gained from Fedex Home Delivery. Any good reason why the Teamsters would not be up for this?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Expanding to Sat service would most undoubtedly lead to job expansions, so I doubt the Teamsters would be against it. However, it may be an expensive proposition for UPS. FedEx, by separating residential from commercial deliveries and having their work weeks work around the target market's optimal days (M-friend businesses; Tu-Sa Home Delivery) helps make it for them.

In our local, Sat pickups are made by air drivers.

HomeDelivery

in my local area, USPS was bombarded w/ too much SurePost/SmartPost the past peak; we had to take them back & re-route ~ deliver them ourselves!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
There's no way I would work Saturdays. We don't get to see our families much during the week as it is. Like most, I worked two jobs including nights for years to make driver so I would have a normal week and a normal night's sleep. I would resign before working a Tues-Sat shift.

If they wanted to bring in part time drivers or 22.3 employees for a limited Saturday ground route it might be worth talking about, however the volume already is so low on Monday that it probably wouldn't be a good business decision

Big Babooba

There's no way I would work Saturdays. We don't get to see our families much during the week as it is. Like most, I worked two jobs including nights for years to make driver so I would have a normal week and a normal night's sleep. I would resign before working a Tues-Sat shift.

If they wanted to bring in part time drivers or 22.3 employees for a limited Saturday ground route it might be worth talking about, however the volume already is so low on Monday that it probably wouldn't be a good business decision

If you work under the New England Supplement:

ARTICLE 66 - HOURS OF WORK
AND OVERTIME

Section 1

(a) Five (5) days shall constitute a normal week's work for local
employees from Monday to Friday, inclusive, and the hours of labor
each day shall be worked in uninterrupted succession. All time
worked in excess of eight (8) hours per day shall be paid for as over-
time at one and one-half (1 1/2) times the normal rate.

(b) Full-time employees hired after July 31, 1987, shall have a work

week of five (5) consecutive days, Monday-Friday or Tuesday-
Saturday.