Saturday Ground

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by PACNW, Aug 11, 2014.

1. PACNW

PACNW Member

This topic has been talked about in theory in past threads, but the other day was the first I've heard that UPS is actually working toward making it a reality. I'm told that UPS feels the move is necessary to appease shippers and customers. Apparently it rates as a high priority on customer satisfactions surveys and shippers like Amazon want faster time in transit (packages not sitting idle over the weekend). I'm told the number one priority after last year's peak was to implement black Friday as a full work day and this is next. Supposedly it is in the early stages of planning, but it is coming. Not sure how it would affect us. Mostly wondering if anyone else has heard this.

2. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

I wouldn't mind working a Tuesday-Sat schedule. At least that way I can get some stuff done during the weekdays and do the things I like to do that are usually crowded on weekends.

3. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

I haven't heard that yet but it's not far fetched either.

4. MethodsMan

MethodsMan Active Member

I'll believe it when I see it.

I highly doubt it will happen though.

5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

It's coming-----our supplement already has language for an alternate work week schedule.

6. Mr.UpsMan

Mr.UpsMan New Member

I currently work Tues-Sat as my center has ground pickups. It is very convenient to have a weekday off. As far as working Saturday as a ground delivery day, I have been told they are only trying to implement it for peak only. The only problem has been how to adequately staff routes for the weekdays.

Sent using BrownCafe App

7. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Rule number one: Anyone hired under the new contract is forced to work Saturdays. Anyone hired previously can work stickily on a volunteer basis only.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. HEFFERNAN

HEFFERNAN Huge Member

If Saturdays are delivery only, nobody would want to work Monday. There would be so much route cutting and weird splits that day.

9. ChickenLegs

ChickenLegs Safety Expert

If they got the volume I support the change.

10. The Driver

The Driver Active Member

I'd be down for it. Can't really stop what's coming. More Teamster brothers and sisters are always good.

11. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Not that it couldn't or won't happen, but what is your source?

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck

12. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I would guess this is part of the peak plan. Not a 12 month a year plan.

13. MethodsMan

MethodsMan Active Member

That I could see. During peak season makes sense. The rest of the year, not so much. Again, I'll believe it when I see it.

14. MethodsMan

MethodsMan Active Member

15. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

I think that working four 10 hour days a week wouldn't be too bad, it would be nice to have a weekday off. It would be easier to schedule drivers if incoming volume was steady. We would need earlier start times to make this work. The downside is light days like Monday would mess up dispatches plus drivers would lose a lot of overtime.

16. Brownslave688

What does 4 10's have to do with this?

17. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

As far as driver scheduling, I'm thinking its doable. If I work Monday-Thursday for ten hours a day, I would have Friday-Saturday-Sunday off. A second driver on my route would work Friday, Saturday, Monday, then Tuesday to get his 40 hours. Then I would work my 4 days of Wednesday-Saturday. Rinse and repeat....this would depend on controlling incoming volume to dispatch correctly, like rolling over trailers of Basic to fill in on traditional light days.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  18. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

We just started a Tuesday-Saturday sort. UPS is hiring off the street as there were too few volunteers in the hub.

Double time for all PT'ers working a 7th punch in a work week in my area. I've been tempted to work Sunday and then sneak in there on a Saturday to see if they catch it.

19. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

The day sort in my building has been working Sunday thru Thursday for years.

20. Brownslave688

Wow way to throw the young guys under the bus with that work schedule.