Saturday Ground

PACNW

This topic has been talked about in theory in past threads, but the other day was the first I've heard that UPS is actually working toward making it a reality. I'm told that UPS feels the move is necessary to appease shippers and customers. Apparently it rates as a high priority on customer satisfactions surveys and shippers like Amazon want faster time in transit (packages not sitting idle over the weekend). I'm told the number one priority after last year's peak was to implement black Friday as a full work day and this is next. Supposedly it is in the early stages of planning, but it is coming. Not sure how it would affect us. Mostly wondering if anyone else has heard this.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I wouldn't mind working a Tuesday-Sat schedule. At least that way I can get some stuff done during the weekdays and do the things I like to do that are usually crowded on weekends.

By The Book

This topic has been talked about in theory in past threads, but the other day was the first I've heard that UPS is actually working toward making it a reality. I'm told that UPS feels the move is necessary to appease shippers and customers. Apparently it rates as a high priority on customer satisfactions surveys and shippers like Amazon want faster time in transit (packages not sitting idle over the weekend). I'm told the number one priority after last year's peak was to implement black Friday as a full work day and this is next. Supposedly it is in the early stages of planning, but it is coming. Not sure how it would affect us. Mostly wondering if anyone else has heard this.
I haven't heard that yet but it's not far fetched either.

Mr.UpsMan

I currently work Tues-Sat as my center has ground pickups. It is very convenient to have a weekday off. As far as working Saturday as a ground delivery day, I have been told they are only trying to implement it for peak only. The only problem has been how to adequately staff routes for the weekdays.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Indecisi0n

Rule number one: Anyone hired under the new contract is forced to work Saturdays. Anyone hired previously can work stickily on a volunteer basis only.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If Saturdays are delivery only, nobody would want to work Monday. There would be so much route cutting and weird splits that day.

MethodsMan

I currently work Tues-Sat as my center has ground pickups. It is very convenient to have a weekday off. As far as working Saturday as a ground delivery day, I have been told they are only trying to implement it for peak only. The only problem has been how to adequately staff routes for the weekdays.

Sent using BrownCafe App

That I could see. During peak season makes sense. The rest of the year, not so much. Again, I'll believe it when I see it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think that working four 10 hour days a week wouldn't be too bad, it would be nice to have a weekday off. It would be easier to schedule drivers if incoming volume was steady. We would need earlier start times to make this work. The downside is light days like Monday would mess up dispatches plus drivers would lose a lot of overtime.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think that working four 10 hour days a week wouldn't be too bad, it would be nice to have a weekday off. It would be easier to schedule drivers if incoming volume was steady. We would need earlier start times to make this work. The downside is light days like Monday would mess up dispatches plus drivers would lose a lot of overtime.
What does 4 10's have to do with this?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
What does 4 10's have to do with this?
As far as driver scheduling, I'm thinking its doable. If I work Monday-Thursday for ten hours a day, I would have Friday-Saturday-Sunday off. A second driver on my route would work Friday, Saturday, Monday, then Tuesday to get his 40 hours. Then I would work my 4 days of Wednesday-Saturday. Rinse and repeat....this would depend on controlling incoming volume to dispatch correctly, like rolling over trailers of Basic to fill in on traditional light days.

Last edited:

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
We just started a Tuesday-Saturday sort. UPS is hiring off the street as there were too few volunteers in the hub.

Double time for all PT'ers working a 7th punch in a work week in my area. I've been tempted to work Sunday and then sneak in there on a Saturday to see if they catch it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
As far as driver scheduling, I'm thinking its doable. If I work Monday-Thursday for ten hours a day, I would have Friday-Saturday-Sunday off. A second driver on my route would work Friday, Saturday, Monday, then Tuesday to get his 40 hours. Then I would work my 4 days of Wednesday-Saturday. Rinse and repeat....this would depend on controlling incoming volume to dispatch correctly, like rolling over trailers of Basic to fill in on traditional light days.
Wow way to throw the young guys under the bus with that work schedule.